Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Duplicate account that went to collection and credit nightmare

Frequent Visitor

Duplicate account that went to collection and credit nightmare

Afternoon,

During my move to my new address back in December of 2016, Comcast somehow created two separate accounts for my new address. Since I see no point in paying the bill twice, one of them went into collection. I've had many calls to the customer service to try and resolve this, but when they look up my details, it always point to the active account. Still, after a while, they started to understand the existence of this 'shadow' account. After one of those more productive calls, the collection mail and call stopped. I was elated. That is, until my car broke down and I was in the market for a new vehicle. The dealer gave me a terrible interest rate, citing a low credit score. Going to the local credit union, they informed me that there is a collection by Comcast. I was livid.

The same day I learned about the collection mark, 11/20/2017, I called Comcast and was fowarded to a back-end office in the collection department. The lady I talked to was extremely helpful and after reviewing my account in great details, she called me back 30 mins later. She informed me that she has finally finished fixing the rogue account, and she has put in a request for a letter to the credit bureau stating the error of their collection mark. She mentioned that I will be cc-ed in this request, and I should be getting it within the next 24-48 hours.

It has been a week, and I tried to follow up to no avail. I went to the local Comcast office this morning, and they can only give me a screenshot of the status of the 'shadow' account, and that it shows I owe nothing. They also gave me a ticket # and case ID so that I can call and follow up. When I call, the customer service folks can't figure out where to forward me, and the notes didn't mention who to call back, they even mentioned that I need to go visit the local branch (touche).

I need this letter in order to try and dispute the mark from my end - my car is not operational and I'm not about to swallow a $1400 price increase due to the higher interest just because of the false deliquency. I understand that credit bureau moves slowly, but I really am hoping for a miracle to not miss the financing deals on the car.

Please advise, and thank you for your time.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Duplicate account that went to collection and credit nightmare

I managed to start a call-in dispute with Transunion, and gave them the real account number so that they might find that I have been paying all my bills up to date.

Furthermore, I called the collection agency and they informed me that Comcast recalled the case on 11/22 (Thank you back-office lady) - and they are mailing out the letter to the credit bureau today on 11/27. There is, however, an item that I still require assistance with --- I need Comcast to request a copy of the correction letter so that I can have it on file and to show to the local credit unions in the hope that I can get a better interest rate.

Official Employee

Hi Sho23, apologies for your experiences,  I am showing that you called in after this post are you still needing assistance?

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hi Phill,

Yes I do, I am promised to have a copy of the letter that the collection agency sent to the credit bureau stating that the mark on me is an error. I'd really appreciate it if you can follow that up for me.

Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Finally received the correction letter. 

Official Employee

Hi sho23,

Thanks for letting us know you received the letter. If there's anything we can assist you with in the future, feel free to reach out.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation