Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Confusing and bad practice about early termination fee

New Poster

Confusing and bad practice about early termination fee

I recently moved for job from TN to VA. I have used comcast service in the past years, and wanna keep it. So I operated online to transfer my service. Unfortunately, it prompted me, there is no comcast service provided for my new address, but “don’t worry”, my current service will be cancelled. It looks like a good practice by then. But this morning I received my final bill, which includes a early termination fee of more than two hundred. I felt so sad. 

The story began from last year, at that time I have used Comcast service for a long time so was not under any contract. But a comcast customer service guy knocked my door and told me they can upgrade my service. I showed interest, but worried about that I may not live there for that long time. He told me no worry, they can transfer the service to my new address once I moved. That sounds very good. So I upgraded my service. 

I contacted comcast asking about the ETF, they told me it is in the contact. I said yes I know, I received the contract and know that if I moved to a new place and continue to use the service, the ETF will be waived. But how about the new place has no service? it seems the fault in this case is at comcast, not me. You just told me “no worry” for moving, you can move the service too. But never told me, I should be worry about if the new place has no service. In my mind, comcast provide service for any address. So I never realized that it is possible that I may moved to a place, and sad to find there is no comcast service, and what’s more, I have to pay for this kind of lack of service. BTW, my new place is in a big city, not rural area thought. 

This issue is so upsetting considering I had been a loyal customer and had every intent on staying that way. Very bad practice by a company to charge fees in such a circumstance. Cancelling on your own will is one thing, but when service is not available that's very different. So disappointing!! I don't think I could ever be convinced to go with Comcast again next time I move back to a serviceable address!!
New Poster

Re: Confusing and bad practice about early termination fee

It is obvious that comcast is trying to set some exclusion items for ETF with the list of cases that waive the ETF. But about the moving item, there are only two cases: 

One case is you move to an area that has comcast service, you subject to the ETF for sure. You must pay for your early termination.  This is straightforward. It is actually not establishing an exclusion at all; 

The other case is you move to an area that has no comcast service, according to my bill, you also subject to the ETF. It is actually not establishing any exclusion too. 

So what exclusion has comcast established with this service item? Or it is only be there to cause misleading. 

I am considering to inquire a professional one if this kind of business service items deserve a lawsuit. I believe it is not only me who has been the victim of this confusing service item. 

Admin1

Re: Confusing and bad practice about early termination fee

Hi limaoxu -- Thank you for providing your feedback about our early termination fees. Our contracts are setup as a two-way agreement. We agree to provide you a package price for the duration of your contract and you agree to keep service during that contract duration. Disconnecting your service for any reason, this would include moving to an area we do not service, results in these terminations fees since you are terminating your end of the agreement.

Your breakdown of the exclusions isn't quite right. We do offer an exclusion when moving to an area that Comcast is in. This is written into each contract: 

• If during the Term of this Agreement you cancel service because you move your residence to a location within a Comcast serviceable area and you reconnect to XFINITY TV, XFINITY Internet, XFINITY Digital Voice or XFINITY Home service within 30 days of your service disconnection, the amount of the early termination fee will be credited upon proof of installation. To receive the credit, you must contact Comcast by calling 1-855-487-0252 within forty-five (45) days of service disconnection

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation