Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast claims our own modem is theirs

New Poster

Comcast claims our own modem is theirs

It's seems like I am not the only one having this issue.

I used to share appartment with a roommate. He had Comcast service aggrement under his name and I remember we purshased a modem more then 2 years ago at Walmart. 

When he moved out leaving the modem we bought for me to use, I called Comcast and asked the service to me transfered to my name. 

I get the first bill and everything was fine. A week after that I got a letter saying that Comcast did a mistake and did not charge me to the "rental equipment" I supposedly had and starting new billing cycle I will be charged 10$. I called customer service right away and was told everything was fine, that was a mistake and I shouldn't be charged for something that's mine. Representative removed charges from my account, but 2 month later they appeared again.

I called again and annother representative searched in their database and told me my own modem was in their system and I will be charged for it!!! She told me that my roommate purchased a modem in 2014. Yes, but we did it togather and I still have copies of his old Comcast bills and non of them showing modem charge! And now all of a sudden our modem became their property??? 

I saw other people's complains on this forum and one of the Comcast Representatives mentioned that such a issue could be because some one made a mistake when registaring a new device in comcast system.

I understand, we all human beings... But guys, seruously? The represantative I spoke today just told me "well, you can resolve this issue by buying a new modem".  How about the one I already spent money on and now a huge, respectful company is trying to steal from me? I need answers.

Admin1

Re: Comcast claims our own modem is theirs

Hi Lena1987 -- I can help with this modem issue. I have confirmed that we do have this modem registered as a Comcast Leased modem. I have submitted a research request to verify ownership of this modem. 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Admin1

Got an update for you. We have found that this modem is a Customer Owned modem. We have corrected this in our database and removed all rental charges. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I'm having the same problem. I bought my modem in Jan 2015. I returned my rental modem to the Comcast store on Roosevelt blvd in Jacksonville, FL.  Been using the new one I purchased since then without rental charges.  Then about 3 months ago I started being charged rental for it. I've called 3 months in a row and it's been credited to my account. This past Friday I was told it would be the last credit and my choices was to either return it or start paying monthly rental.   

I have the receipt where where I bought it.  What should I do?

Official Employee

Hi fchp_jw,  apologies for your experiences, I can assist in reviewing this for you and will send you a private message for further information.

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I have the same issue, It was in service for about 14 months then last Friday 5/29, it drop off the network but I still can ping the DNS but Comcast is blocking traffics.

ticket #CR708678562 &CR79054809

Awaiting for a "supervisor" to call back for couple days already.

Official Employee

Hi situ, thank you for reaching out and I can get send to the proper team to further investigate.  I will send you a private message to further assist.

Thank you

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

Having the same issue. Purchased my own modem in Feb 2015. Over the last year, on 4 separate occasions, I am getting letters about a $10 fee. I have a receipt and Comcast activated my modem. Comcast also wouldn't help me with an issue I had when I purchased the modem because it wasn't owned by them. How is it when I needed help, they didn't own it? Now, when they want to unjustly charge a fee, they own it. Doesn't make sense. It has been so long that I can't return this modem. I was just told tonight that it needs to be under investigation and I can't speak to that dept. Seems odd. I have a receipt. Documented email of going back and forth with the company in Feb 2015 I purchased it from. Very unprofessional and at best poor customer service on Comcast's end. I have filed with the BBB at this point.
Official Employee

Hi Jnickel87666kju. I'd like to help review the charges for the equipment as well as verify who the modem belongs to. In the event you purchased this modem from o former Comcast customer who never returned their rental modem after disconnecting the account, and they sold it instead, this is why you would still be being charged for a modem rental fee. In this case you would need to contact the seller for a refund as the modem does still belong to us.

Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me. In the body of this message please verify the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address associated with your services.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Administrator
Administrator
Moved:

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation