Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast Wireless Gateway charge

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 12

I have triple play.    My phone-internet modem is an ARRIS TM722g.   I received a "special" to reduce the cost of my monthly bill.   This was to include all eqiupment rental.   When my first statement after the switch came, I was no longer being charged $10 for my voice-internet modem  but now I am being charged for "wireless gateway", same price.    I called and was told that my modem is wireless   I said, if I remove the router (my personal router), then I no longer have wireless.   They then said it is what they now call the modem rental.  I said that I recieved a "gateway modem" but did not hook it up and returned it to the SC.      Does anyone know what the "Wireless Gateway " charge is ?   

Thank you, Jan

11 REPLIES
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 2 of 12

JanLyne-

A “wireless gateway” is a modem/EMTA charge. This charge will appear anytime a customer has phone service and is renting a modem through Comcast.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 3 of 12

Thank you.   What I don't seem to be understanding or grasping is that my due November bill states "Voice/Data Modem Rental"  $10.   My plan then changed to a "new" bundle plan.  It was stated to me that there would be no equipment rental charges; they would be included in the bundle.  The customer service rep said that I would have only  bundle charge and then taxes and fees.    The next statement said:  my original plan and dvr converter and voice/data modem rental @$10 per month were removed.   It then stated my new bundle, included a service discount at $20 per month .   It also showed a new charge...  Wireless Gateway @$10 per month was added.  Not knowing what the charge was I looked it up on the COMCAST web site and it says:   "The wireless gateway is your all-in-one product that connects your XFINITY Internet and XFINITY Voice, and provides WiFi connectivity for your home, so there's no need for a separate wireless router."    That is when I became really confused because my voice/data modem is not wireless and in order to have wireless connectivity I need a router attached.        Again, thank you for your patience in explaining this to me.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 4 of 12

Hello JanLyne,

Comcast has been taking opportunity to upgrade all Xfinity subscribers with the X1 services to the wireless gateway to get the most out of their X1 services.  You stated that you returned your wireless gateway to the service center ("SC").  When you upgraded to X1 this changed the modem rental item from Data/Voice Modem to Wireless Gateway even though you sent your wireless gateway back.  The modem rental charge is accurate because you are renting a modem (I will address your package next).  If you wish, we can send you out a wireless gateway again, but in the grand scheme of things you are mainly only missing the wireless capability because your current modem is also docsis 3.0 which is a requirement of modem to ensure the speeds Comcast guarantees.  However, you are entitled to this equipment if you want it, so let us know whether or not you would like for us to send out another.

With regards to your package, it does not include your equipment rental fees.  However, to attempt to level these charges, it appears that the agent applied the discount that you mentioned above.  However, this only covers 2 of your equipment rental fees.  Being that the account has not been noted with the free equipment statement you made, I would have to ask if you might have some sort of record noting the agent telling you that all of your equipment would be free? I have attempted to find an additional discount to cover the other equipment on your account, but I have been unsuccessful.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 12

Comcast sent me a new modem that was the 3 in 1.   I thought it was a requirement to have one so I said, sure send it.    But when I received it I noticed it was "different" and after researching decided I didn't want it.   It was never activated and not taken out of the box.     I personally returned it to the SC and continued using the modem that was installed when I began with the triple play, a couple of years (??) ago.    My original modem went bad not long ago  (I had no internet and no phone and could not get service call for almost a week) and so I went to the SC and exchanged that for another, same model.  It is a refurbished/returned since the compartment at the bottom was and is missing a door.   I kept it.      I guess the question is that my charge only became "wireless gateway" when my packaged changed.  Up until  the bundle change, the charge was always voice/data modem rental; even after I  received the 3 in 1, the "charge on my statement" remained the same.  It was only after I changed the bundle that the "wireless gateway" charge appeared in its place.   Adding further to my confusion is that I talked to folks (COMCAST customers) at work and they do not have that charge but rather they say they have rental charges.    I do not want the 3 in 1.   How can I be charged for a wireless gateway when I don't have a wireless gateway?  I have a modem that in order to be wireless needs a router.    If I activated the 3/1 then I'd understand.   But I didn't and don't have it.

As far as upgrading to X1, I do not know what that is and when I did that.  As I stated previously I never activated the 3/1.   My internet speed etc was perfectly fine and if I have something better/faster, I sure can't tell .   Anyway, I made no conscious changes to my service and when I called to request a reduction in my costs, I said that i wanted the exact same service as I had at the time.  He assured me nothing else changed. That, of course, was incorrect as I just found I no longer had HBO.  I called last week and HBO is now part of my service.  So now, if my service has otherwise changed (internet) then it was changed without my knowledge.  I really wish I had better dates of when I received the 3/1, when I returned it, the exact date & who I talked with to get my cost lowered, who I talked to last week to get HBO back in my bundle, etc., but the one time I failed to keep track it comes back to bite me.   I do have my statements from months ago so at least I can see when things changed.    

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 6 of 12

JanLyne,

When you called to reduce your monthly costs, you were enrolled into an X1 package.  This package came with an XB3 modem or Wireless Gateway upgrade.  If you declined the new equipment as you feel your internet is fine, this is perfectly fine at this point.  XB3 is optimized for use with X1 Cloud DVR service.  If you do not have this service then you should notice a major difference in your internet connection.

Regarding the way that the modems are coded on your account.  If it is a Data/Voice Modem without wireless then it is $10.00 a month.  If it is a Wireless Gateway then the charge is still only $10.00 a month.  While your equipment is working correctly, the agent may not have been able to put you into the X1 package without adding the X1 equipment to the account.  Many customers wish to get the savings in the X1 packages without upgrading to the X1 equipment, this as of now is fine.  However, in either case the charge will be $10.00 monthly rental charge for a modem wireless or not. Being that you have the package that you have been enrolled in, for system purposes your modem needs to be billed as X1 equipment (Wireless Gateway).  If you want the X1 equipment let us know, if not you may wait until you are forced to upgrade your equipment.  In any case, the charge will be the same for just the modem, a 2 in 1, and the 3 in 1.  The issue that you are disputing is a matter of the billing code you your account, changing this may change the price that you are receiving as the 2 in 1 may not be eligible for the current X1 package that you have.  Would you like for me to attempt to change your modem codes at the risk of changing the current price of your package?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 12

Unfortuantely I do not have exact records on this call.   I called prior to paying the statement due by 12/15/2015.   I have noties on that statement regarding my call to Comcast Customer Service but no date and unforunately no name of the rep I talked with.   (aren't phone calls recorded ?)  My notes are as follows:  153.96 plus fees & taxes; 153.96 includes dvd, modem, adapters in the charge.  Written list in my notes consists of 3 items:  1) same package components 2) less price  3) 1 yr only.   Again I have the notation of $153.96 circled and underlined.    When the bill I received that was due January 15 came and it was greatly reduced I thought nothing more of it and didn't look at the statement in detail because of the adjustments based on the time of the change.   It was only when the bill now due (and paid) this month (February) came and I saw the total of $174 I questioned why it was more than anticipated.   That is when I noticed the "wireless gateway charge" and set about figuring out what "exactly", not "likely" this was.  The answers I received varied slightly but they did not fall in line with my original call about lowering my costs.    I've been a loyal customer since Comcast first showed up in Ann Arbor (and even prior with the original cable company) and when I was told, or agreed, to something in a phone call, the majority of times the end product was as agreed.    This time it is not and in this case I am being wronged.    I thank you and the other folks for your time and patience in this matter.    Jan

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 8 of 12

Hello JanLyne,

We have reviewed your account several times for more discounts and there are currently no more discounts that we can apply. There is a discount of $20.00 a month that I have added to your account in efforts to resolve this issue.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 12

Your last reply to me was " There is a discount of $20.00 a month that I have added to your account in efforts to resolve this issue." I waited to receive this month's statement before replying.     My total amount owed is the same as it has been the previous 2 months, no change.   As an aside, last week I had a Comcast/Xfinity sales/ambassador come to my house (and others in the neighborhood) to see about 1) whether I was a customer and 2) if there was anything that could be done to make sure I am paying the lowest available for my services (or some such explanation).     I showed him my statement and then "he" made the comment after looking at my equipment that I might want to change out my "modem" because the equipment I have does not allow for a wireless gateway.  Enough said on that.        

Again, I appreciate the patience that you and others have shown me during this time.   There is no need for a reponse as I will consider it closed, for now.    Jan

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 10 of 12

Well. Let's reopen.    I just called Comcast because I'm having problems with internet connectivity.   I was told by the customer service representative that it is probably because I have an "outdated modem" and I should update to the newer "wireless gateway modem/routers".    Hmmmm...  I told him that I am being charged for a wireless gateway and he said...  but you don't have wirelss gateway and if I did get the new modem that it might solve my problem of internet connectivity.      I told him to please make a note of it in my file.   Weird.  Does this mean that I now will get credit for the charge that Comcast has added to my monthly statement for wireless gateway.    This is indeed puzzling..  

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 11 of 12

Hello JanLyne,

I can definitely assist you with your concerns regarding the modem fee. Please be advised that the standard rental fee for a modem is $10.00 a month whether it is a standard modem, wireless gateway modem, or a Data/Voice modem (EMTA). I understand your account is coded for a wireless gateway modem which you do not have. We can correct the code on the account to reflect the correct modem type. However please keep in mind; there is no credit to be given due to the monthly rate for the modems are the same. If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 12 of 12

The explanation for the post yesterday can be found in my previous posts/disagreements with Comcast.   The main issue is that when I got a "special" plan it was to include all equipment.  Then all of a sudden, Comcast found I wasn't being charged so charged me.  I called and the charge quickly turned into a Wireless Gateway charge, and now it back to just being a modem charge with no WG.  But, I do thank you for your reply.