Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Charged for my own modem

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Charged for my own modem

I'm hoping to get more postive results from this team.   Thanks in advance. 

Copied from FCC complaint:  

Preface: I use Comcast for my internet and TV provider. When I bought my home in 2013 and started my account with them for TV and Internet service, I purchased my own modem from Amazon.com, along with related networking equipment. I own my own modem and dvr so that I don't have monthly fees. I had Comcast professionally install the service and the tech activated my purchased modem and dvr.

Issue: Comcast will constantly and consistently cram a charge for rental on my bill, claiming that the modem is "theirs." They force me to contact them and dispute the charge. This is usually resolved with a phone call or chat to support, and occasionally I've been asked to provide my invoice to them, which I have done multiple times.  They will typically fix the bill, and promise this will never happen again.
However, I've just had this happen again for the 8th time in 5 years (typically twice per year) and after 3 attempts to reach out to support, I am being refused acceptable recourse. They have told me that I have to take my purchased and owned modem to their office with invoice in hand and prove, yet again, that this modem is mine. I suggest that this is an incredible burden on me to make a completely unnecessary trip to them to dispute this.

Expected Resolution: Just stop charging me for my owned equipment, simple. I don't want anything for free. I just want to be billed correctly and not charged for services that are not provided from nor due to comcast. They cannot simply claim my property as theirs, demand proof of ownership from me yet have none of their own.

Accepted Solution

Re: Charged for my own modem

Since you've filed an FCC complaint, the forum folks won't be able to help. It's now being handled by the escallation department.  As far as repeatedly being charged for your own modem, as it was explained to me, the modem ownership status "switch" needs to be flipped in two places by two different departments, which often doesn't happen.  Then, when an automated audit happens, the AI thinks the modem belongs to Comcast and generates the letter.  

View answer in context
Bronze Problem Solver

Since you've filed an FCC complaint, the forum folks won't be able to help. It's now being handled by the escallation department.  As far as repeatedly being charged for your own modem, as it was explained to me, the modem ownership status "switch" needs to be flipped in two places by two different departments, which often doesn't happen.  Then, when an automated audit happens, the AI thinks the modem belongs to Comcast and generates the letter.  

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the heads up.    I re-contacted for a 4th time, this time to Billing dept and they resolved this for me quickly.  I don't understand why I have to make such a fuss over this issue in order to resolve.   If I thought purchasing a brand new modem from say, Best Buy, instead of Amazon would resolve the issue... I would do that today.  However, I've read that this issue can happen regardless of where you purchase.   It's just luck (or lack thereof.)

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation