Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Canceling Service for Deceased Mom

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 5

My mother died on 5/20/17. I do not yet have her death certificate. I am moving her possessions out of her apartment and the last day of occupancy is 6/30/17. I need to cancel her Comcast service by that date. Can I do this without a death certificate?      

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2 of 5

KSPER wrote:

My mother died on 5/20/17. I do not yet have her death certificate. I am moving her possessions out of her apartment and the last day of occupancy is 6/30/17. I need to cancel her Comcast service by that date. Can I do this without a death certificate?      

I am very sorry about the passing of your mom.  Please take care of yourself.

You won't be able to do that without her death certificate.  I suggest you take any equipment she might have and keep it with you until you receive the death certificate and then take everything to the local Comcast store to shut off services.  Were you perhaps authorized on her account?  If so, you are able to cancel her service without the death certificate.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 5

I wasn't authorized on her account. After reviewing a lot of other messages from folks in the same situation, I had a feeling I will have to wait until I get the death certificate. My concern is for a new tenant. Will my not being able to close her account before the end of the month cause a headache for them (and me)? Thank you for your help!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 4 of 5

KSPER wrote:

I wasn't authorized on her account. After reviewing a lot of other messages from folks in the same situation, I had a feeling I will have to wait until I get the death certificate. My concern is for a new tenant. Will my not being able to close her account before the end of the month cause a headache for them (and me)? Thank you for your help!

Possibly.  Hopefully, though, you'll get the death certificate before then.  You can always call the funeral home and ask them how long it usually takes and if there is anyone you can contact to possibly expedite the delivery.  I wish I could tell you something more positive.  Sorry.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Highlighted
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 5

Hello @KSPER. We are truly very sorry for your loss. 

Forum Expert @Again is correct that you will need to bring the death certificate and the Comcast Equipment into your local Comcast store to cancel and disconnect her account. 

If someone else moves into the address and requests service while your mom's account is still active, they can only obtain service if they can provide proof of residency. (They'll have to bring a lease agreement or similar into their local Comcast store to setup a new account.)

If you would like, I can place a note into her account so it is on record. If you would like this, please send me a private message with her full name, your name, and her service address. 

Again, we are so sorry for your loss. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.