Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Broadcast TV fee and Regional Sports Fee increase

New Poster

Broadcast TV fee and Regional Sports Fee increase

I have just received my Denver, CO bill and Broadcast TV has gone from $3.75 to $6.50. Worse yet is Regional Sports Fee has gone from $2.00 to $4.50. 

I don't watch sports and hate that I have to pay for it with no other option than to cancel my service. That was the option given to me on the phone.

Comcast...you need to make sports a removable option!!!!!

Problem Solver

Re: Broadcast TV fee and Regional Sports Fee increase

Hello RichDenver,

The Regional Sports Fee is an itemized charge on your bill that is intended to offset a portion of the costs of broadcasting multiple regional sports networks to our standard video services. This fee is a result of higher costs due to contractual obligations requiring us to offer multiple regional sports networks to our standard XFINITY TV services. The Regional Sports Fee is not based on if you're watching the sporting events or not, but rather that those sporting channels are available in the package you subscribe to. The Broadcast TV Fee recovers a portion of the costs of retransmitting television broadcast signals as well. Broadcast stations are allowed by the government to charge for their signals, and cable providers like Comcast are required to pay substantial fees in order to carry those signals.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Contributor

nice .. and apparently un-expected ... 

Regular Contributor

the Network Broadcast "Channels" have allowances .. I understand that .. don't blast me on that please ... 

New Poster

Then create a package without sports.  I'm constantly reading about cord cutting options and this is precisley the reason I'd consider it. I pay Comcast a very significant fee for service and I don't feel sorry for you to have to absorb costs like sports fee or even the broadcast fee. There will be issues for you in the future for this short sightedness.

Regular Contributor

They have one....actually 2. Economy and Limited Basic . And to be honest they don't care if people don't like it. All they care about is what their stock owners think. And the stock owners love it.  

Formerly RobandMar.....moved accounts and lost screen name
Contributor

A complaint about these fees has been filed in federal court in California.

https://consumerist.com/2016/10/18/customers-accuse-comcast-of-using-broadcast-tv-regional-sports-fe...

New Poster

Rich,

I have a package without sports, basically the "cord cutter" option where I just wanted cable internet but they offered free HBO so I agreed. My channels are your general over-the-air stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS) along with HBO. I do not have sports included in my package but I am still paying the Broadcast TV fee (makes sense) so still seeing the price increase on the monthly bill there.

New Poster

How were they able to justify a 30% increase in our broadcast TV fee and a 50 PERCENT INCREASE in our regional sports fee?? Last time I checked, we weren't getting 50 % more regional sports programming!! You guys are all in it together! Crooks!!!

New Poster

By the way, I've been waiting for Live chat with a comcast agent for 30 min now! What next, a customer service fee? Oh crud, I shouldn't have given you guys that idea...

Regular Visitor

Recheck your math. The Broadcast fee increased by 73% and the Regional Sports fee by 125% and yes its a ripoff.

New Poster

I had a 73% increase on my broadcast tv fee, from $3.75 to $6.50 and a 125% increase on the regional sports fee, from $2.00 to $4.50.  I don't even watch sports.  This was between my October bill and my new November bill.  How can corporations say they are being regulated too heavily?  This shouldn't be able to happen. 

New Poster

Let us know if you have any success with customer service!

Service Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines. [language] If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

New Poster

I got the same increase this month (Nov, 2016): broadcast tv fee, from $3.75 to $6.50, regional sports fee, from $2.00 to $4.50.  Considering cutting cord once contract expires.

New Poster

Thanks for the link to the consumerist. Very interesting about the forced arbitration.

I previously had just internet and switched to a promo package because it would get me HBO for "about the same" which is now more than $15 more. I was looking through my old bills to see when the promo is over and I found this from my February bill:

"

Important Account Information

Starting Mar 3, we will increase the Regional Sports Fee from $2.00 to $3.00/mo and the Broadcast TV Fee from $3.75 to $5.00/mo. These fees help to offset the rising costs of regional sports programming and retransmitting broadcast television signals. We know sudden changes to your bill can be frustrating, so if your current charges include the Regional Sports Fee and/or the Broadcast TV Fee you won't see these changes until your first bill after Oct 1.

The Broadcast TV fee recovers a portion of the costs of retransmitting television broadcast signals."

So, $5 or $6.50... or whatever we feel like charging you. We're going to lie about it so it doesn't seem like we are violating the contract by changing the terms.

Marcus3344 wrote:

https://consumerist.com/2016/10/18/customers-accuse-comcast-of-using-broadcast-tv-regional-sports-fe...

New Poster

Since I'm paying these fees, and no one in the house watches sports, then why do I have to get and pay for a receiver for the rest of the TV's that I just want to watch over the air stations? Does this sound kinda weird? First I have to pay a fee for the over the air networks, which are free with an antenna and un-encoded, and then secondly I have to "rent" a device to decode an un-encoded broadcast that gets encoded so I can watch a free, un-encoded broadcast? 

Doesn't this seem like I'm paying twice for the same service? 

New Poster

Regarding Broadcast TV Fee: I'm paying for something that I don't use. Comcast says franchise fees have gone up drasticlly.???

What I find interesting is that Comcast franchise license with the town I live in expired aprox 5 yr ago.

So they are double dipping in my area: No increase in fees paid to my city, but continues to raise prices for my service.

Contributor

Check all your fees, taxes and equipment costs .... I bet they add up to over $25.   They tack on a $10 HD Tech fee, for what reason?  ..  to collect more money.  That HD Tech fee should not be permitted, as most of what they provide is already included and part of the package.

Comcast will be the next K-Mart if they continue with their practice of high costs and so-so customer service.

Frequent Visitor

If they charge a local broadcast fee and a sports fee this seems like double dipping. I don't watch sports and this is unfair to lay this charge on people who don't. In my area it it $5.00 for the sports fee.

New Poster

Considering the amount of money Comcast rakes in one would think they would foot the bill for these items.
I look forward to the day when I can get FiOS in my area.
New Poster

Then why am I getting the regional sports fee and the broadcast tv fee..... If I don't have tv service at all with comcast? Just internet. That's $120 a year I am paying in fees for services I am not subscribed to!

Called comcast customer service about this and the response was:
"This is a third party fee. We are not authorized to take this off your account."

So I pay comcast $120 a year for a third party fee, for a service I am not subscribed to and which they are not authorized to take off my account. So where does this $120 Go?
Problem Solver

Hello Justinbone,

Since your new bill has not printed since you have made these changes, you have not yet seen the removal of these fees. I can confirm that they are removed and you will see that change on your next bill. Please let me know if you need help with anything else.

Official Employee
Moved:

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats