Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Broadcast TV Fee

New Poster

Broadcast TV Fee

I signed up for the Cable plus internet in order to get faster internet at a lower cost.  I was told the monthly charge was $69.99 at that time.

My latest bill has a charge for "Broadcast TV Fee" of $5.  I did not ask for broadcast TV and would have declined if it had been offered as I already have an antenna.  Please remove the charge and issue a refund.  

There are federal  laws against elder financial fraud and abuse.  I've reported this activity to the Federal Justice Department Elder Justice Initiative.

Tags (1)
Admin1

Re: Broadcast TV Fee

Hi okrick -- Broadcast TV is not an additional service but rather is an itemized charge on the bill that recovers a portion of the costs of retransmitting broadcast television signals. Broadcast stations have the right to charge for their signals, and cable providers like Comcast end up paying substantial fees in order to carry them. This fee is included with all Cable subscriptions. 

We can have Cable removed from your services if you are dissatisfied with this fee or overall costs. We do offer discounted rates for our Internet Only packages that may suit your needs. I can get you quotes if you would like them. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Interesting perspective... I recently downgraded to Internet and Home only got my updated bill going forward and both the RSN and Broadcast TV fees are still showing....cant wait to have the talk with CS tomorrow....The quote I was given online was 114.89 plus tax....those taxes (and fees) are an extra $40??? What gives....

Admin1

Hi floogen6 -- I reviewed your account and did not see these fees on your current statement. You made this downgrade change on 2/28. Your newest statement, which printed on 3/12, shows where TV service is being removed and does not show that RSN or Broadcast TV Fee were added since TV service is being removed. The quote you were given is accurate however taxes/fees are not an additional $40. Taxes are $2.54 for the service level you have now. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns about your service or billing that you would like cleared up and I will assist. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

What I don't understand and would like a response to is how can this fee vary so greatly amongst customers. Why is it that I'm reading that certain customers are being charged $1.50 or $3.00, yet I'm being charged $7.00

I was sold on a certain price that I would be paying every month. An agreed upon price. A contract if you will. And this Broadcasting fee was not included. It seems incredibly deceptive to me. If I'm not mistaken isn't Comcast currently being sued for this exact matter right now?

Nonetheless, I would like to know why my Broadcasting Fee is higher then seemingly everyone else who I have seen post.

New Poster

I just checked my bill and got spanked with a Broadcast TV Fee of $13!!!  What the HELLLLL????  Seems I broke the record on highest fee for this.

I am going to have to contact comcast... I dont even have the cable box connected as they gave me a crappy box with no HD channels.  Signed up for the bundle only because it was cheaper than internet alone and they threw in HBO (which I watch on my apple tv only).

Problem Solver

Hello BigPat65,

The fees may vary due to the market region. In different areas the broadcasting cost could be higher or lower than other areas. 

Community Icon

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

I was offered a limited basic package for $10.00 more a month which included broadcast stations.  I had internet only because I can't afford cable TV but for $10.00, it was worth it to keep the internet low price.  Now I see the $6.50 Broadcast TV fee.  I don't mind paying for it so much but it does seem deceptive.  When you offer people tv at a certain price that includes broadcast tv, you should charge that price, not extra.  I understand how an extra $10.00 plus taxes sounds better than $16.50 plus taxes.  In reality, my bill is now about $23.00 more.  It would seem less deceptive to either say there is that additional charge when offering deals or just add the costs to the deals and packages.  Xfinity is pretty much a monopoly here.  Only other option is DSL with highest speed of 7mbps which I tried and was worthless.  As a disabled person with a limited income, every dollar matters.  It's an incredibly high price just to get the lowest internet, which I deem more important than food.  Since my deal is up, I'd pay about same for just internet as I do for this new package but it is important to know what I will be paying as that $23.00 has to come out of something else.

Problem Solver

Hello katelinhm1, 

I certainly apologize for any misunderstanding.  I can assure you it is not our intent to be deceptive in any way. The amount charged for Broadcast TV fee varies by market region. If you have any further questions or concerns or need help in any way please reach back out to me and I will be more than happy to assist. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Are Broadcast fees and Regional fees refundable? I was billed for them on 6/3 to cover the time period of 6/10-7/9. However, I cancelled my tv portion of my plan on 6/5. I was refunded for the tv part of my plan, but not for the $7 Broadcast fee and $5 Regional fee. If these are fees associated with a cable plan, and I cancelled the cable portion of my plan before the coverage period, why aren't those fees being credited?
Official Employee

Hi Jkennell, thank you for reaching out  but those fees do not pro-rate or are refunded.  These fees are assessed if you have cable service for any length of time during your bill cycle.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns

Thank you

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I just joined Comcast and got first bill and have BTV fees on it chatted with them only option was to cancel. 7.00 was not notified of!!
New Poster

I am paying $14!!!!!!! What a scam. 

Official Employee

Hello janelle218, we can always look into internet only packages for you from here. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Sorry but comcast is trying to be deceptive.  There is no possible way to explain away that statement.  It is so you can advertise a cheap price and after the fact increase the total bill cost.  To all here I recommend DirectTV now and google voice(free) with an obi adaptor for phone.  Get internet-only if the only option from comcast.  DirectTV does not "add on"  these comcast "we are only passing along" fees.  So this again points to this practice being something companies do to jack up a low advertise price. Been with comcast for 17 years and the latest addition of 1TB cap fee has was the last straw for me and now in a active mission to prevent others from having to suffer with comcast.  Seriously you still charge a fee for HD?  Understand this 10 years ago not today.  Pared down to internet only and spent the time to find the above other options so thier greed actually saves me money in the end.  Also fix your billing system to reflect proper fees in a timely manner.  But yeah I understand why pay money to make things better for customers.  These better disappear from my statement next month.

New Poster

Also stop paying $10/mo for a cable modem.  Go get one of these for $45 plug in active then take your CC one back.  You will need your own wifi but those are cheap as well.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-Certified-Cablevision/dp/B00YUU5628/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8...

Contributor

CCMatthew wrote:

Hello katelinhm1, 

I certainly apologize for any misunderstanding.  I can assure you it is not our intent to be deceptive in any way. The amount charged for Broadcast TV fee varies by market region. If you have any further questions or concerns or need help in any way please reach back out to me and I will be more than happy to assist. 

US District Court Judge Vince Chhabria seems to disagree, having refused to toss out the class-action lawsuit filed aganst Comcast regarding these deceptive "fees".

Regular Visitor

I agree.  I can understand that specific packages may go up a bit from year to year - but their extra fees are outrageous..  I have had CC since 2006 and there were no extra charges for these until 2013.  Below is what I have been charged:

.................Additional Outlet .....BroadCast TV ...Total

2013 ..............1.99 ......................0.00 ...............1.99

2014.............. 2.99. ....................1.50 ................4.49

2015 ..............3.99 .....................3.75 ................7.74

2016 .............4.99 ......................6.50 ..............11.49

2017 .............5.99 ......................7.85 ..... ........13.84

Regular Visitor

It is always cheaper to purchase your own equipment.  My first modem (Motorola SB 5100) lasted over ten years. 

I just replaced it with the newer version (Arris SB 6141) this past July for ~$50 w/tax from Amazon (no shipping fees)

Comcast cost would be $10/mo x 12 = $120/yr.  You would break even if your new modem only lasts for five months.

But if it lasts like my first one (on all the time) you will save in excess of $1200 over ten years.  CC is sure to raise their rental fees in that time.

What is even more outrageous - I talked to a friend of mine whose internet fee is similiar to mine.  But her ISP provides a modem at no extra

charge - it is just included with the service.

Look at your latest bill that shows the breakdown of all their costs.  They are charging for EVERY little thing they can.

Official Employee

Hello all,

While we continue to experience increased programming and operating costs, we worked hard to minimize the impact of price increases by enhancing the value of our programming, as well as by investing in our next-generation technology. This includes advances such as faster Internet speeds, more multi-platform content (XFINITY On Demand, tv.xfinity.com, etc.), our collection of XFINITY mobile apps and XFINITY on the X1 Entertainment Operating System. ​

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats