members

online now

discussions

Broadcast Fees & Regional Sports Fees

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 6
What's with Comcast charging me $7 in Broadcasting fees for basically them to pickup a signal to broadcast. And second a regional sports fee of $5 is this because they own ESPN but regardless that's $12 on my bill monthly & $144 a year add that per customer times millions and Comcast is making a bundle yearly on these charges which to me we shouldn't be charged for in the first place. These charges are unfair and from what I heard Comcast is being sued for these actions. JoeS69
5 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2 of 6

The broadcast fee is a charge to recoup the price they pay to get the signal from the big 3 and other broadcasters. It is charged by all providers (AT$T, DirectTV Dish etc) The sports fee is for sports related programming in your package and again recoups costs associated with aquiring content to broadcast. Most, if not all providers charge this fee also. This fee can be avoided only if your package does not contain sports related material. Niether fee is waivable (ie mandatory)

I believe Disney owns ESPN, not Comcast, either way the fee is for all sports content, not just ESPN. There may be lawsuits out there, but nothing has been resolved AFAIK.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 3 of 6

Hi JoeS69. The Regional Sports Fee is an itemized charge that recovers a portion of the costs of broadcasting multiple regional sports networks to our standard video services. The fee applies to XFINITY TV customers receiving Digital Starter and above, as well as Starter Latino TV/XFINITY TV 450 Latino service tier. 

The Broadcast TV Fee is an itemized charge that recovers a portion of the costs of re-transmitting broadcast television signals. Broadcast stations have the right to charge for their signals, and cable provides like Comcast end up paying substantial fees in order to carry them. Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid the charges. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 4 of 6

I will add here that all of the major cable companies charge customers these fees, including AT&T/Direct TV, and Dish.  So, it's not just Comcast.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 5 of 6

If you leave in a city area, get an indoor antenna and receive free TV (rural areas have less choices). Thay are only ISP in town so I am stuck so I have to get their internet. However, I will use HuluPlus and get all the channels I want and more for $50 less than the monopolistic Comcast

Posted by
New Poster

Message 6 of 6
Hi Joe,
I'm considering a class action lawsuit against Comcast. I'm doing research about it. Would you be interesting ?