Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

$60 technician charge for Comcast coming out to increase signal

New Poster

$60 technician charge for Comcast coming out to increase signal

I recently moved from an apartment, where I did self installation and knew what I was doing, into a new home where I could not get my internet and cable to work at the same time. The internet modem would work when the coax cable coming from the modem was plugged directly into the wall, but not in the splitter. So for six days, I was paying for internet and cable and only receiving one or the other. While I spent time on the phone with an agent, he suggested my splitter must be bad and he advised to buy a new one, which I did. I spent $10 on a new splitter, hooked everything up as normal and they both still would not work. After calling Comcast back, the agent said she would send out a technician, while I told her the problem must be the signal strength from their end because I have a friend who is familiar with this stuff. I asked this agent, "Will I be charged for this since it's an issue from your all's end?" She told me the technician would tell me before he did anything I would be charged for, which he did not. He increased the signal strength from his device, and that was the issue. Then I was informed I have a $60 professional installation fee on my bill. I called Comcast customer service and the agent AND his supervisor both argued with me and told me this fee is not waivable because to assess the problem, the technician had to come out to my house. Well, for starters, I told the agent on the phone what the issue was most likely, was never told I would be charged, and I did not receive "professional installation." The issue was the signal strength which I cannot fix myself. I do self installation for this reason, to avoid outrageous costs like this, especially when I just purchased a new house and have enough bills coming in! I am so, so disappointed with the customer service I received.

Official Employee

Re: $60 technician charge for Comcast coming out to increase signal

Hi hne320, 

Sorry for the experience you've had while trying to get this taken care of. Because you had the failed SIK and we had to send a technician out to activate services at the premise, this is why you were billed. However, I'd like to review your account to see if there's anyway I can assist you. Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, street address including city state and zip code, and the account number or phone number associated with your services.

New Poster

Had very similar experience - almost as if comcast is setting folks up:
In March 2018 I contacted Comcast to upgraded my internet service. I did this all with an online representative. I needed the upgrade to meet internet speed requirements for online classes that I am currently enrolled in. I was told everything was set up but noticed the speed had not changed (via speed tests provided by the school, online via google and even via Comcast's own speed test). I contacted Comcast again via the online representative who then tried to rectify the situation (this upgrade was supposed to be all "self-install"). After many power cycles - disappointingly the online representative could not rectify the situation (again checking the internet speed via speed tests provided by the school, online via google and this time two different Comcast speed tests). The online representative then informed me that they would need to send out a technician. 
The Technician who came out later informed me that the issue was something on Comcast's end, he didn't have to do anything with the device in my house and laughed it off. 
Later I find I am being billed an installation fee for the technician who came to my house. I called customer service to explain, surely this must be a mistake, to which I am told it is their policy that if a technician is sent out there is a flat fee of $60. I asked how they justify this as the error was not on my end to which I was told that I could have rectified the situation myself online without the need to call or talk to a representative online. I than asked how I was supposed to know better than the online representative FROM COMCAST who also could not rectify the situation to which I was told again that there is a fee of $60 if a technician is sent to the house. I then explained how suspect and unethical that sounds, as Comcast can then tell customers limitlessly that a self service install has failed and a technician needs to be sent out and then charge for the failure on Comcast's end with no way of checking the validity of the situation- to which I was told I authorized the charge (which I don't really recall, but if the representative was referring to signing off on the technician's work via the technicians PDA device - you are given little choice and no time to review charges that were never explicitly mentioned). I have been a Comcast customer for years - I just find this whole situation unbelievable.

Official Employee

Hi vmugnolo, 

I can review your account to see if there's anything that I can do to make this right. However please keep in mind, when it comes to self-installs, if there is something physically at the premise that needs to be corrected or if an outlet needs to be activated in order for us to provide the service and a tech is needed to do so, this is why you would be billed. This is because there is nothing that we can do remotely to fix this. 

Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click private message me. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, street address including city state and zip code, and the account number or phone number associated with your services.