well it seems that Comcast has a major issue that noone can seem to fix. My issue started with their modem. Wasnt fixed and I got tired of paying $7 a month to rent an outdated piece of hardware. I went and picked up a Motorola SBG901. Same issue. Wireless through the SBG901 is disabled as I run a Netgear WNDR3400 router to broadcast wirless and hard wire my gaming machine. I reveived a call back from Comcast to make sure my issue was resolved. Boy did she call at the wrong time. Now I have Comcast maintenance coming out on Tuesday.
Here is the start up info on my SBG901
Startup ProcedureProcedureStatusCommentAcquire Downstream Channel Locked Connectivity State OK Operational Boot State OK Operational SecurityEnabled BPI+
Downstream ChannelLock Status Locked Modulation QAM256 Channel ID 8 Symbol rate 5360537 Downstream Frequency 597000000 Hz Downstream Power -7.3 dBmV SNR36.3 dB
Upstream ChannelLock Status Locked Modulation QAM16 Channel ID 7 Symbol rate 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream Frequency 22600000 Hz Upstream Power46.7 dBmV
According to what I have found all those levels are within spec. So we shall see. The SBG901 is a month old and I have already exchanged it once. I totally believe that I am having this issue from their end - not mine.
Gateways suck. We spend a lot of time on these forums telling ppl to get rid of them. I don't know if that is your problem, but in the future, just buy a straight modem and a router. FWIW I've seen a number of posts regarding the SBG901 not working properly with no apparent solution. If I was in your shoes I'd rent a modem from Comcast for a month just to eliminate the modem as a potential problem.
There have been MANY people posting here with problems related to gateway devices.....they ARE plagued with quirks.....and placing (most of) them in bridge mode appears to remedy the situation for most...but it;s really a "baid-aid" approach to actually solving the problem -- it defeats having the convenience of a "2-in-1" device!!!
This is why MOST of us have a separate modem and router.....it just works more reliably, most of the time!!!
The issue is NOT the gateway, as I have the same modem with the same problem HOWEVER this problem existed prior to me getting this modem. I had a different, non-gateway style modem connected to a seperate router, and had the same problem then. I put up with it. Eventually that modem died, so I bought a Motorola SBG901. NOW what I have is two networks, the new one via the modem and the old one via the router. I also have a Vonage box. When I lose my internet signal, EVERYTHING goes out, including the Vonage box which is hardwired to the modem. Keep in mind it also did this BEFORE getting the gateway.
BTW, my approximate levels are: Downstream SNR = 35 dB; Downstream Power = -13 dBmV; Upstream Power = 52.2 dBmV. I connected my modem directly to the input into the house (bypassing and thus eliminating all house wiring/splitters) and the levels were: Downstream SNR = 38 dB: Downstream Power = 3.4 dBmV; Upstream Power = 40.0 dBmV. Doing this resulted in a distinct improvement, especially in regards to the Downstream Power. My next step is to move the modem closer to the input (after the outdoor splitter and utilizing the shortest wire run from there) and see what levels I get.