I would like to know if comcast is ever planning on approving the Netgear CG3000D gateway/modem?
I have 2 brand new modems that I would love to be using, but comcast does not have the correct boot files for this modem. Cox and a few other providers use them, but I am not in those areas. I can't seem to get a direct answer from CS. everyone I spoke to has no Idea what I'm talking about. Unbelievable.
I'm having the same issue with CG3000D. Comcast disabled the Wifi on my devices, it works as a modem only now. couple of technician checked, they dont have any answer, they are directing me to netgear. I'm not sure why they installed the comcast business gateway firmware on the residential modem, that caused all the issues, I'm unable to go back to netgear firmware now. Please let me know if someone found a solution to this problem.
Comcast did the same thing to my modem, I spent 2 weeks back and forth between comcast and netgear without getting anything solved. So that modem is a doorstop now. I bought a second identical cg3000d modem and activated it online through the walled garden and so far it seems to be working fine, no changes to the firmware has been done. It's still has the original software.
I didn't notice the difference between tne Comcast approved cable modem model numbers and the cg3000d, So, I bought one and found exactly the same thing others have. The Comcast firmware was loaded and the cg3000d lost wireless capablility.
It has pretty good wired performance though. My download speed measured on the AT&T speed test increased to 90 Mb/sec using the cg3000d compared to 30 Mb/sec with my old Motorola Surfboard SB5101. Upload stayed about the same at 11 Mb/sec on both.
I had bought a really cheap TP-Link wireless-N router (TL-WR841N) before buying the the cg3000d. I hooked this up with the cg3000d. I'm getting about 75 Mb/sec download over the air. This may be enough improvement to make it worthwhile.
Hopefully, the link will be more reliable than with my old Surfboard and Belkin G wireless router, which is why I got into doing this in the first place. If so, it was a fairly low cost solution.