Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

email addys no longer automatic when first letters entered

ANSWERED
Contributor

email addys no longer automatic when first letters entered

I now have to manually enter email addresses, used to be automatic when first few letters of name were typed in.

this just started yesterday.  I've searched preferances, etc and cannot find any way to get the auto feature working again.

I believe it is called 'auto-complete'.  works fine on my PC but not my android phone

Accepted Solution

Re: email addys no longer automatic when first letters entered

New version 6.4.1 worked for my android:
1. un-install 6.4.0
2. Go to Google play store:
HTTPS://play.google.com/store/apps/details?nd=net.comcast.ottclient.
3. Download, install
4. Click Agree to use contacts TWICE.
5. May have to re-start phone.
6. May have to delete, re-install more than once to take effect.
Worked today, 12-19-2016.
View answer in context
Regular Visitor

+1, same problem here.  Happens on both phones in our house.  A REALLY inconvenient nuisance.  Won't capture and auto-populate from the Contacts list.  Just started a few days ago.  Xfinity pushed an automatic update on December 5 and that has caused the problem.  Spent an hour on the phone today with several erroneous transfers and then some clueless technicians.  They insist it is a phone or provider issue.  NOT!  They suggested that I should re-type all 400 e-address in my contact list so that the phone could re-remember them.  Who is steering this boat?

Patrick

Contributor

Knew there had to b others. Hopefully a Comcast person will chime in here....IMO the whole purpose for this forum...
Service Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

+1 I thought it was just me. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and went over the settings, without any luck. I use this function quite a bit during the day and it is really useful. If anyone from Comcast is listening out there, could you please fix it?
Regular Visitor

Same thing happening with me. I loaded the new update to the Xfinity Connect App on my Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone 2 days ago and now my email contacts don't autocomplete when I compose a new email and want to use my email contact list.
Frequent Visitor

Same problem here. Misery loves company. Glad to see it isn't only me, but I need this fixed!

Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem which started today (12/8/16).  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, trying to talk with a helper, written "my opinion".  All to no good end.  Is anyone with the ability to correct this listening?  Please help.  I will be. Going to another app.

Contributor

I went on chat with Xfinity techs, multiple, went up the chain 3x ... promised fix in 12-24 hrs. Crossing fingers. At least they now recognize it as a problem.
Regular Visitor

Screemintenor:  Thanks for taking all that time to go through the complaint hierarchy.  I did the same earlier this week and the support people in each step were absolutely clueless.  I was accused that I must have deleted my cache files and destroyed the auto-populate links.  What the heck does that have to do with the 279 people in my Comcast "contacts" folder?  The APP is supposed to go grab and populate from there, not from any keystroke cache.  Supervisor insisted it could not be a Comcast problem and wouldn't report or research any further.  The final advice was for me to send new messages to the 279 people in my "contacts" folder by typing in their full addresses into the outgoing messages so that the Xfinity Connect App could "re-remember" them.

OK, I'll bite and be the guinea pig.  I have another e-mail account elsewhere, and that account is listed within my "contacts" folder.  So, over the last few hours I have sent numerous messages to that alternate account.  Had to fully type the outgoing address each time.  By now, you of course realize that the APP hasn't re-memorized anything and the proposed 'fix' was something just pulled from thin air.

I even tried to plead with the support supervisor that their recent update was now screwing with probably a MILLION users and the stuff is going to hit the fan.  No sympathy.  Not our fault.  Has to be an issue with your phone or your provider or Android or whatever.

Patrick

Frequent Visitor

Ok group.  This is what I just did.  I called Comcast and got Chris...I explained the problem, what I had done to correct, and my extreme frustration.  He gave me a method that works but is not as good as auto complete.  I asked to file a complaint which he took some time to write up and then said he sent it to his supervisor who would sent to headquarters.  He assured me the complaint would be sent up.  This is the work around.  When you bring up the blank email on the To line, over to the right you will see a plus sign.  Click this and your address book will come up and you can select recipients from there.  Not good but better than copy and paste.  I would suggest if you have time and patience, call Comcast/Xfinity and get your complaint on record.

Contributor

yea, that's the only way I've been able to send emails the last few days.  However...you then have to scroll through the entire list to get to the desired addy...sigh...

Frequent Visitor

I found that if you type in the first three letters of the last name and press enter, it will bring up the person to select. I haven't tried it with first names, etc., but it did just work for me this way.

Contributor

hmm, that doesn't work on mine

Frequent Visitor

Typing in letters from last  name does not work for me nor first name.

Frequent Visitor

I'm using a Samsung Note 4. If I type in the first three letters of the last name and press "done", a pink box surrounds the three letters, the cursor blinks at the end of the box and a pop up of the email address is shown. I hope that I described it correctly.

Frequent Visitor

It doesn't seem to work consistently. I've tried others, some worked, some it took four letters. It seems that it only works if it recognizes the email address. It's definitely not a "fix" or workaround.

Contributor

pink box just blinks here. nothing I do does anything else

Contributor

on phone with T3 tech... he tried resending an update...no joy.  Logged out, back in, uninstalled the app, reinstalled...no joy.

So, tech says 24-48hrs and they'll get back....sigh..

the saga continues...

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Screemintenor.  Let's see if anything happens.  If others have the time and patience call.  Perhaps if enough people call in the numbers will increase and someone will do something.

Frequent Visitor

Hard to believe this isn't easily fixable. If it worked before...

Contributor

The tech said the current version got some things removed from the app but auto-complete wasn't supposed to one of them . My guess is someone fed in the wrong code.
Frequent Visitor

Connect App Update

Thought I would add my experience -

re: latest android connect app update

After this week's earlier android connect app update, I'm getting the four screen introduction to xfinity connect, it has a get started box at the bottom, and when I intially went in, it asked me to set up text and voice to go. The connect app is opening up in chrome and has the address bar at the top. I go into my history and the sign-in is listed as one of my entries. Now, everytime I go into connect, the getting started screen still pops up. Everything else seems fine. This afternoon, I uninstalled, cleaned out my caches, and reinstalled the connect app. I'm still need to go through the getting start screen. Thank you.
Contributor

Re: Connect App Update

another day...still no reply and still not working.  I did, however, the last time I went into Connect, get a comment message to fill out for their 'updated' app.  So, I did   even gave them the T3 ticket ref#.  Getting this problem out to more folks at Comcast can't hurt.

Frequent Visitor

Screemintenor, thanks for posting.  Same with me- still same problem.   No help forthcoming.  Readers: make noise.  Call comcast, go to HELP and report. Actually report any way you can.

Frequent Visitor

I have been having the same problem with auto-filling of email addresses for several days now on my Asus android tablet.  I've tried several workarounds and reinstalling the app but nothing works.  So, I came to this forum to see if the problem was just with my device.  From reading the many comments here, I see that many other people are experiencing the same thing.  I just submitted a "comment" via the Xfinity Connect App's help feature explaining the problem and asking for this issue to be fixed.  Hopefully someone at Comcast will hear us and get this resolved.  Not having email address suggestions pop up when composing an email is a HUGE NUISANCE - I had no idea until it stopped working!!!!!

Contributor

Well, near 48 hrs and no fix. And...no replies from Xfinity. This is getting ridiculous...I at least expected one of their techs to chime in here.
Frequent Visitor

Apparently the issue isn't widespread or Xfinity would be overwhelmed with complaints.  I guess all we can do is keeping filing around the issue and calling OR wait for the next update and hope it gets corrected.  Any other ideas, anyone?

Frequent Visitor

My tablet runs an older version of Android - 4.2.  I can't update it.  Maybe older versions of Android are not supported fully by Comcast's lasted version of this app?  Anyone here running the latest versions of Android and still seeing this problem?

Frequent Visitor

I have the latest version 6.0.1 of Android and have the problem.  I have automatic update for face book and think that is the problem but who knows.

Contributor

I have 7.0 on my moto z force
Regular Visitor

Same when me. Forced me to use my Gmail account which populates addresses just fine. Think Comcast beta tested the latest update? Don't think so!

Regular Visitor

I have a Google Pixel and am having the same issue, it is super annoying not to hand autocomplete working!!
Contributor

The plot thickens... Got an automated call from Comcast today...press 1 if problem resolved, 2 if not. Hit 2. Voice rattles off ph# to call too fast for me to write down and hangs up. Hmm...so, called the supposed "direct" # to last guy. Used extension given...not available so got kicked into the general system...they return call. They call, i pick up, put on hold again. Finally get a real person (who should get a huge raise). I give her the T3 ticket #. Hmm...T3 never got it. Huh? I was given the # by a tier 3 tech...3rd time at that. She says no, that person is T2 as we're the other two.
Uh...what. now she's mad at the runaround I've been given and personally sends it up the chain. Remember, this is a T1 operator here...sigh.
Everyone needs to call this in and demand T3 tech status at least. Get confirmation of status and names of whomever u talk with.
To b continued.
Frequent Visitor

What number is everyone using to call this in? I will call, too.  I tried on line chat and the person on the other end was so dumb I just said goodbye and ended the chat.  She was asking me questions that were already answered in my comments to her. Duh.

Contributor

855-484-1453
Contributor

Update...
Just got a call from Lucas at Comcast. They have found the problem, wee! Are still working on a fix, however. Yes, it due to the recent v6.4.0 upgrade as expected. He said they are about to send out a new version soon so this (and several other) issues will b fixed with that new version. (One would hope) In the meantime he said that if they cannot resolve the issues discussed here...as well as others resulting from 6.4.0...in the next couple of days they will wait till the new version is ready. This new one is supposed to b a major change in format. I'm hoping they fix the dang auto-complete first.

To b continued...
Frequent Visitor

Screemintenor, thanks for that update.  It sounds promising that we will have a solution to this problem.

Frequent Visitor

What does "they cannot fix the issues addressed here" mean?

Contributor

From readimg comments on this and other threads in the forum it is apparent that their early Dec update created a multitude of problems, not just losing auto-complete.
Regular Visitor

Still having the problem too. Reported the issue on December 6. I am using the website version now as a temporary solution. Doesn't work as well as the mobile app, before the last update, but the auto complete of contacts works. I am a Verizon user. Just curious if this issue is only affecting Verizon users ?
Regular Visitor

I have a Google Pixel on Verizon. I definitely have the issue and hope they fix it soon!! Like someone else mentioned, I often use my Gmail app which auto completes the addresses. I send the messages 'from' my Comcast address, which is my main email account.
Contributor

I have Verizon

Regular Visitor

Well, this is getting 'curiouser and curiouser' as the book says.  I am traveling in Tasmania, Australia.  Suddenly, A FEW of my addresses are auto-populating the way they used to.  Not all, just a few.  I have 4 Australian friends who use various different ISP providers.  Those people will ALL auto-populate after entering 3 characters.  Seems none of my USA contacts will auto-populate.  I can't sit here an experiment with over 250 contacts in my account.

Patrick

Contributor

Weird.

Keep calling, folks! Squeaky wheel...
Regular Visitor

I just got a new update on my pixel on Verizon and it's fixed!!!!!
Frequent Visitor

I just got an update on my LG android and the auto complete is back!  Hallelujah!  THanks to all who  badgered xfinity to fix this!

Contributor

Cool! Still no update here and no call from Comcast. I just left a message with Lucas the T3 tech who had called me early last week. At least somebody's got it working.
Contributor

Ok, so I get this just now:

Thank you for writing to us and sorry for the inconvenience caused.
This issue has been fixed with the latest version of the app 6.4.1. Please try upgrading the app and verify.

Regards,
XCMA Team

Nice try but no cookies for the XCMA team yet.  I uninstalled the v6.4.0 and installed the new v6.4.1.  At first nothing changed at all so logged out and back in.  Now there are a couple (2, actually) 'auto-complete' suggestions for certain letters entered but not all letters and if I enter more than one letter of a contact name it does nothing.  Example:  I type in 'c' and will get exactly 2 addy names suggested that start with 'c'.  They can be either the first name or the the last name of only 2 of the contacts in my list beginning with 'c'.  Type in 'ca' and the two suggestions disappear and nothing shows up from my contact list who's names (first or last) start with 'ca'.  In addition to that, some letters entered bring up names with nothing to do with that letter.  Ex:  I enter 'g' and get Mike Smith.  really??

So, tried rebooting the phone...no joy

sigh....this is really ridiculous.

Contributor

I finally got smart and checked the forums as I have the same issue on my Android, and I have 6.4.0. It works fine on my laptop so I knew it wasn't me. I also have gmail on my phone and it works fine, so I narrowed it down to the app - esp. cos all of a sudden it stopped working. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the app - 2x - no luck.

I did try typing the first 3 letters of the last name, then enter - it worked. Not the best but easier than scrolling thru using the + sign. Auto-complete is needed - who knows everyone's email address anymore?! I tried first 3 letters of the first name and it was squirrely so until it's fixed, I'll use the last names.

Also, I tried a chat 1.5 weeks ago and have a trouble ticket number, for what that's worth. I chatted again last Wed cos it had been one week - they said there's still a fix in work. But they could have just told me it was a known issue and that they are working on it. But no, they leave it open and so I think it's me. Comcast does a lot right, but the way they handle some things is amazingly bad.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 57 replies
  • 37 kudos
  • 13 in conversation