Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity stream app not connected to home network

Regular Visitor

Xfinity stream app not connected to home network

Have used the app on my Rok u 4200 since app came out without problems now I get message that I'm not in my home network but I am. Restarted Roku and modem. Still now working. 

Service Expert

Re: Xfinity stream app not connected to home network

IR4 wrote:

Have used the app on my Rok u 4200 since app came out without problems now I get message that I'm not in my home network but I am. Restarted Roku and modem. Still now working. 

what is the name (type * for any numbers) of your SSID wifi to which the Roku is connected? Is it a Comcast gateway with wifi? your own wifi router? does the serial number on your modem match the serial number shown on the internet tab of your smart device Xfinity My Account app?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I think this may have just started today at some point.  All of the devices in my house using the Stream app are suddenly acting as if they are not on my home network.  I'm guessing this is likely a glitch which will hopefully be addressed as soon as the techs at Comcast wake up from their turkey hangovers. 

Frequent Visitor

I had the same problem and am not sure how it happened but the modem that was shown as being active and connected did not have the right serial number (aka MAC address).  It had the MAC address for a modem I used to have of the same model, but I had to exchange it out because it had issues.  By the way, I own my own modem.  It did not even show my current modem at all.  Hmmmmmmm.  What could be going on?  The internet was working just fine, but I restarted the modem to see if that would fix the streaming issue.  It did not.   It still showed my old modem and it showed it on the Xfinity Account app on my phone as not being connected.   It said the internet was connected and working fine, but the modem was not connected.  Obviously, something was not recognizing the MAC address, but was allowing it to provide internet.

The Fix:  You have to re-activate services, which will re-scan the current modem and update the MAC address.  Simply go to www.xfinity.com/activate  and you will be asked to verify your account, so just enter your account number and phone number and just follow the prompts from there.  Once it finishes and tells you your services are activated, you need to logout and log back in again to your account on either the Xfinity Account app or on the Xfinity website.  Go back and check the modem and it should now be showing the correct MAC address for your modem.   If it is, then that's it.  You're done.  Your streaming service should show you as being "In Home" again. 

My guess is that Comcast did something on their end that caused their database to somehow re-load the wrong modem info and thus placed me "Out-of-Home".  Weird.   So forcing it to do a "refresh" of my modem and update the MAC address fixed it. 

Hope this works for you!

Regular Visitor

Brilliant!! I did what you instructed it took about a half hour but I finally got the Xfinity app to work on my Roku. Also the correct modem now appears with the correct MAC address under my devices in my account. One thing though; the old modem with wrong MAC address still showing. I know I'm being picky but is there any way to delete it from my account?

Thanks so much for your advice!! Sometimes I wonder why I have cable at all. 😀

New Poster

IR4, not to get too off track or create issues that don't exist but you might want to make sure you aren't being charged for that old modem that's still showing along with the new one that is. I had something similar happen and while it's my fault for not noticing I just don't scrutinize everything every month now that I'm using the auto pay thing. I had turned in 2 older boxes and an older modem in an exchange for newer updated ones at Comcast's suggestion, it was an easy even exchage and went very smoothly but months later when a tec came out for a service call he poinmted out that I was being charged for more boxes then I was using and sure enough the old ones I had turned in were never removed from the account, just the new ones added. Actually the boxes were at our house the same thing happened but with a modem at my mom's (in a diffrent state) which makes me think it isn't an unusual occurance...which is not meant to imply they do it on purpose, I just think it's probably an easy, common error with the easy equipment update they do enabeling customers to self install combined with the auto payments that enables customers like me to "set and forget" the billing/payment stuff.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the tip. I will scrutinize my bill. I still use the old fashioned paper billing and I think it's okay as far as charges but you do have to check as last bill had some karaoke channel added by mistake. Come to find out that an ad for it popped up while a family member was watching and they inadvertently clicked on it so we got billed. When I spoke to customer service she said it's been happening to a lot of people. So I said they should make it more difficult to make that mistake and avoid 100s of calls! Thanks again for everything. 

New Poster

Big thanks out to Konadreamer for this fix. I have been going crazy the last few days trying to figure this out. I direct messaged back and forth with Comcast cares on Twitter. They told me that certain channels cannot be viewed on the xfinity stream app and can only be viewed on your cable box. This is obviously not true as I have watched nbc sports channel and cbs college football on the stream app in the past. I called Comcast today about the issue. They wanted to know what channel I am trying to watch (CBS). They had to “run some tests” for a few minutes. They finally came back and told me the feature I am trying to access requires an additional subscription. They emailed me the link to add the subscription. It turns out they are trying to get me to add cbs fantasy football. So long story short Comcast customer support is very unhelpful and the users of this forum are a huge help. Thanks again!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation