Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity Stream TV app

New Poster

Xfinity Stream TV app

Have Comcast Int with limited basic TV channels.  Have Xfinity Stream TV app on my devices.  When at my home gkids use my devices and want to view programming they have at their home (also Comcast but much bigger package).  Unaware of how to use the app but provide their home user/pass, which they know, because they should be able to watch TV "on the go".  I deleted the app from my device and re-downloaded it from the App Store, which allowed me to sign in with info (the kids') other than my own.  However, it did not work, gives me an "authentication failed" message.  How the devil can I accomplish this.  Seems they should be allowed to watch what they're entitled to from home service when they're in another wi-fi environment, on ANY device, and can provide required info.  Can anyone help?

Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Stream TV app

Yep, this should be possible. (It's not necessary to delete the app to sign from a different account; just tap the Settings icon at the bottom of the left navigation area and then tap Sign Out. You'll be taken back to the Get Started screen.)

You may be running into an issue we're tracking right now with authentication failing for some users. It's still evolving; will report back with more info in a little bit.

LHC

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Exactly where is this "Settings icon at the bottom of the left navigation area"?  What screen should I be seeing this?

Problem Solver

Tap the button at the top left of the screen that looks like a hamburger (three stacked horizontal lines); this opens the left navigation area. Then scroll down to the xfinitystream logo. The wheel icon to the right of it is Settings. I've attached a screenshot from my iPhone, but it should look roughly the same on iPads and Android phones and tablets as well.

The issue I referred to earlier should be resolved now; our QA teams are verifying right now, so give it another whirl.

IMG_4009.PNG

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thank you so very much for the clarification.  I'm definitely lost in this particular world!  I followed your instructions; but, unfortunately, it did not work.  I'm still getting the "authentication failed" message.  If the issue you mention is what's causing me problems, and you say it is resolving, I'll give it some time and try again later.  However, if you have more info to pass along, I'm definitely wanting to hear it.  Thanks again.

Problem Solver

Do you get the the screen that says "Adding Device" with an animated circle, or does the authentication error happen at the point where you type in your username and password? If it's the latter, then the issue is that your password is incorrect (the grandkids may not be remembering it properly :-). 

If you're getting somethig that looks like this: 

Client_Error.png

Then you are running into the issue that's still being worked on.

LHC

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

You are really an extraordinary help!  Here's what I did:

1. Went to "for you" screen, hit "hamburger", went to tools @ bottom left and chose "sign out"; got       message device was removed.

2.  Got "get started" screen, chose that; then got "already logged in as" and my info.

3.  Ques came up "sign in as someone else?"; chose that, my info still indicated

4.  X'd out my user and pass and typed in gkids user/pass from their home acct, hit "sign in".  Per your inquiry, I do not get the "adding device" message but do get, as mentioned next, the "authentication failed"  after typing in the user/pass

5.  Got orange-colored "Authentication failed.  Please try again or use a different method", and immediately returns to indication of my user/pass with "Sign in" and selections of "forgot user/pass", "create one", or "on-campus student" choice.

I'm not getting the blue-colored "Authentication failed" message, so I assume my problem is not associated with the issue being worked on.  

I know the sign in the kids are using is correct; it's the one they've used for months when they are in my home and using my devices; I verified it with a parent; and that parent was at work, with access to a different wi-fi, and she was able to connect to her home Comcast content via her phone using the same user/pass of which the kids are aware.  

Anywhere we can go from here?  This is really frustrating.

Again, thanks for your consideration.

Official Employee

cwaz46368 wrote:

You are really an extraordinary help!  Here's what I did:

1. Went to "for you" screen, hit "hamburger", went to tools @ bottom left and chose "sign out"; got       message device was removed.

2.  Got "get started" screen, chose that; then got "already logged in as" and my info.

3.  Ques came up "sign in as someone else?"; chose that, my info still indicated

4.  X'd out my user and pass and typed in gkids user/pass from their home acct, hit "sign in".  Per your inquiry, I do not get the "adding device" message but do get, as mentioned next, the "authentication failed"  after typing in the user/pass

5.  Got orange-colored "Authentication failed.  Please try again or use a different method", and immediately returns to indication of my user/pass with "Sign in" and selections of "forgot user/pass", "create one", or "on-campus student" choice.

I'm not getting the blue-colored "Authentication failed" message, so I assume my problem is not associated with the issue being worked on.  

I know the sign in the kids are using is correct; it's the one they've used for months when they are in my home and using my devices; I verified it with a parent; and that parent was at work, with access to a different wi-fi, and she was able to connect to her home Comcast content via her phone using the same user/pass of which the kids are aware.  

Anywhere we can go from here?  This is really frustrating.

Again, thanks for your consideration.

Hi. ComcastDan here to try to help. Sorry you're having trouble but it sounds like you're doing the right steps, as described above.

The "Authentication failed..." message in orange indicates that, for some reason, the username and password are being rejected.  The password is case sensitive (i.e. upper and lower case characters are interpreted differently). Could that be the issue?

One option of confirming is to try signing into the website on a computer with that username/password:  https://tv.xfinity.com

If the website has the same issue, and I'd expect it will, the primary user on the account can sign into My Account on the website and set up a new secondary username and password (or just reset the password) at: https://www.xfinity.com/manage-my-account

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation