Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Stream TV app Downloads to SD Card

New Poster

Stream TV app Downloads to SD Card

How do I tell this app to save downloads to the SD card on my tablet (Galaxy Tab S 8.4)? It always saves to device storage where there is little space for video. I tried moving the app itself to the SD card, but it continues to store programs in internal memory.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Stream TV app Downloads to SD Card

It does not appear to support SD card storage. Probably a limitation of the media companies, who are hyper-paranoid about proper encryption and minimizing where data is stored. Comcast probably has to pay alot of $$ to them just to allow local storage.

Netflix recently allowed SD card storage, but not for all titles. Mainly just their own productions. Streaming rights these days are a mess of landmines, barbed wire and walls.

Expert

rwberman wrote:

How do I tell this app to save downloads to the SD card on my tablet (Galaxy Tab S 8.4)? It always saves to device storage where there is little space for video. I tried moving the app itself to the SD card, but it continues to store programs in internal memory.

it must be in the device memory with one exception so far: android devices running latest version can adopt the SD card as its own memory but the card is encrypted and can only be used by that device. (Android 6 marshmallow I think). New Nougat also supports it per various forum posts (not Comcast forums).

Silver Problem Solver

Even if you have the SD card formatted as 'internal', programs can still set a flag to require true internal memory for storage.

Expert

andyross wrote:

Even if you have the SD card formatted as 'internal', programs can still set a flag to require true internal memory for storage.

after the new versions of android 'adopt' the SD card it 'is' internal memory (fully secure only able to work in that one single device).

Silver Problem Solver

I still think Android supports the ability to allow programs to require true internal memory, or it may depend on how the software is written. I've seen reports of people who's apps have only been able to see the smaller true internal memory when trying to save something, even if the SD is configured as internal.

Also, some manufactuers (Samsung I think is one) don't allow SD to be used as internal due to performance issues (and wanting you to buy a more expensive device with more memory), even with the latest Android versions.

Expert

andyross wrote:

I still think Android supports the ability to allow programs to require true internal memory, or it may depend on how the software is written. I've seen reports of people who's apps have only been able to see the smaller true internal memory when trying to save something, even if the SD is configured as internal.

Also, some manufactuers (Samsung I think is one) don't allow SD to be used as internal due to performance issues (and wanting you to buy a more expensive device with more memory), even with the latest Android versions.

it is a feature of android 6 and 7. I tried on a couple of devices to use same feature with < 6 but command isn't there in menu structure. apparently 6 (nougat) and 7 (beta) (can't remember the O word should be Oreo but it is some weird dessert thing last I read) are being pushed out to some of the older devices.