Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

License Issue::3338 (1000954)

New Poster

License Issue::3338 (1000954)

Why doesn't comcast fix this problem "Licence Issue::3338 (1000954) when using an apple product connected to a tv with an HDMI connector?  Also no one that works there wants to take responsibility and give you a straight answer.  I spent over an hour on the phone being transfered from person to person with no solution or answer.  Responses I got was its a problem with your TV. It's a problem with the ipad.  When it is clearly not. My Windows PC will let me  stream from my PC to the TV with HDMI, My ipad will let me stream videos on amazon prime from the ipad to the tv with a HDMI cable.  I thought Comcast was trying to be better with their products and customer service?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: License Issue::3338 (1000954)

lknotts wrote:

Why doesn't comcast fix this problem "Licence Issue::3338 (1000954) when using an apple product connected to a tv with an HDMI connector?  Also no one that works there wants to take responsibility and give you a straight answer.  I spent over an hour on the phone being transfered from person to person with no solution or answer.  Responses I got was its a problem with your TV. It's a problem with the ipad.  When it is clearly not. My Windows PC will let me  stream from my PC to the TV with HDMI, My ipad will let me stream videos on amazon prime from the ipad to the tv with a HDMI cable.  I thought Comcast was trying to be better with their products and customer service?

Others have posted this problem and comcast forum reps replied saying that connecting from a mobile device to a tv using a hdmi cable is not allowedand blocked, only using PCs or laptops is permitted.

New Poster

Ok, did they give a reason why? or when they are going to change this?

Bronze Problem Solver

lknotts wrote:

Ok, did they give a reason why? or when they are going to change this?

No reason given, other than pcs/laptops already have an external display so it can't be blocked. I don't think they have any plans to change it.

New Poster

Could do it with the TvGo app, but not the TV app. Says network partners won't allow. Well, that makes no sense, because they're the same network partners. People post all the time that it's the networks. In this instance I believe it's NOT the networks. Used to love cooking in my kitchen along with the cooking show with my phone/tablet thru my tv. What am I suppose to do pay even more for cable in the kitchen. Ridiculous!! So many problems with the new app. Sorry Xfinity your new app is NOT a more enjoyable experience. 

New Poster

You could with the TvGo app. Why not on the new app? 

Bronze Problem Solver

MrBooger wrote:

I don't think they will tell us why. Its possible that the deal with suppliers is cheaper with all the limitations comcast has now imposed, not just the mobile to tv cable.

Service Expert

MrBooger wrote:

the legacy DVR can record the buffer of a show when you hit record but is not covered in patent ruling that now prevents x1 from doing the same. Once a patent or law has 'effect' the equipment has to be modified if it is possible to not be in violation. X1 was easily fixable.

The industry of cable and broadcast TV has really been changing their contracts with producers in many ways, hopefully more and more will be 'TVGo' streaming channels and fair use may include device to TV streaming by HDMI or wireless etc.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Seems like the Roku app would have the same issues with content providers. How is this interface any different?

Bronze Problem Solver

greenstick wrote:

Seems like the Roku app would have the same issues with content providers. How is this interface any different?

The roku app? Comcast has a netflix app, is that what you're reffering to?

Frequent Visitor

Comcast has promised to release the Xfinity TV app as a Roku app sometime this fall, to bring the same TV app functionality to the big screen via the Roku hardware. It's not clear how the Roku app is substantially different from a tablet connected by HDMI. So far the Roku app is vaporware making this question a bit hypothetical.

Bronze Problem Solver

greenstick wrote:

Comcast has promised to release the Xfinity TV app as a Roku app sometime this fall, to bring the same TV app functionality to the big screen via the Roku hardware. It's not clear how the Roku app is substantially different from a tablet connected by HDMI. So far the Roku app is vaporware making this question a bit hypothetical.

Oh that thing, I gave up thinking about their promise of a roku resident tv app

Problem Solver

greenstick wrote:

According to this post from a Comcast employee, the Roku beta is to start 11/30/2016.

Service Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Frequent Visitor

I agree with you, I don't see how the ROKU app is any different then the app on the iPad or iPhone. Both connect via HDMI and both stream the data over the local internet connection. If they can do it with the ROKU, then they can do it with an iOS device or Android. I though the FCC was pushing them to open up to external settop devices and ROKU and the Infinity TV app was suppose to be part of that response. Not much of a response.

New Poster

Very good reading, thank you..

I have same Comcast  iPad to TV today as you do. 

Regular Visitor

Why is Comcast forcing consumers to use a desk or laptop to AIRPLAY/stream comcast video to a larger TV???  I have paid top dollar for the Comcast subscriptions for decades but this loyal customer (AND MANY OTHERS) are rewarded with an inability to airplay from our device of choice, my I-phone.   VERY DISPLEASED CONSUMERS UNITE!!! Tell ten friends & ask them to tell their friends.  Maybe we should all switch DISH or Verizon.   Dear Comcast you are not the only game in town.  You can be replaced with an alternative provider.  Wiseup!! 

Regular Visitor

Why is Comcast forcing consumers to use a desk or laptop to AIRPLAY/stream comcast video to a larger TV???  I have paid top dollar for the Comcast subscriptions for decades but this loyal customer (AND MANY OTHERS) are rewarded with an inability to airplay from our device of choice, my I-phone.   VERY DISPLEASED CONSUMERS UNITE!!! Tell ten friends & ask them to tell their friends.  Maybe we should all switch DISH or Verizon.   Dear Comcast you are not the only game in town.  You can be replaced with an alternative provider.  Wiseup!! 

Service Expert

RedLobsta wrote:

hi, another customer here. Comcast enters into contracts with network providers who charge per "outlet" for connection to television/monitor devices. Portable devices don't have a charge nor does using a desk/laptop via hdmi since currently that is considered another monitor for the type of computer. The Roku gives you that connection and currently is free during the beta program testing.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 10 in conversation