Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Can I Select Storage Location/Destination For Downloads Onto Mobile Phone?

Frequent Visitor

Can I Select Storage Location/Destination For Downloads Onto Mobile Phone?

Hello!

I just treated myself to a shiny new 32 GB SD card for my Android phone. When I use Xfinity Stream to download from my DVR to the Android phone can I direct the app to store onto the new SD card instead of the phone's internal memory? I can't find that option.

Thanks,
Allen

Service Expert

Re: Can I Select Storage Location/Destination For Downloads Onto Mobile Phone?

Allen-Cohn wrote:

Hello!

I just treated myself to a shiny new 32 GB SD card for my Android phone. When I use Xfinity Stream to download from my DVR to the Android phone can I direct the app to store onto the new SD card instead of the phone's internal memory? I can't find that option.

Thanks,
Allen

are you running either the nougat or Oreo OS on the android? (the two offer ability to 'adopt' permanently an SD memory card).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Allen-Cohn, downloads can only be viewed via the XFINITY Stream app for viewing while offline. Think of it like a library. The downloaded content will remain on the app for a limited time. Once that time has expired, the download will be "checked back in" to the app where it can be downloaded again by another device. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Hi, KenF,

I apologizing for not being more clear. The question you answered was not the one I intended.

Here's what I was going for: I have an Android phone. It has internal memory (not much left). I also just added a 32 GB SD memory card.

I would like to direct the Stream app to store its downloads on the SD card. Netflix's Android app allows this. I was hoping the Stream app did, too.

Based on other posts I have seen on this board, I gather the Stream app does not allow this. The only workaround I've read is to direct the Android operating system to "adopt" the SD memory as part of its internal memory. But apparently Verizon has disabled this feature on Galaxy S-5s, even though the current Android operating system should allow it.

Sigh.

If I am incorrect and there is a way to tell the Stream app to store on the phone's new SD card, please let me know.

Allen

Service Expert

Allen-Cohn wrote:

Hi, KenF,

I apologizing for not being more clear. The question you answered was not the one I intended.

Here's what I was going for: I have an Android phone. It has internal memory (not much left). I also just added a 32 GB SD memory card.

I would like to direct the Stream app to store its downloads on the SD card. Netflix's Android app allows this. I was hoping the Stream app did, too.

Based on other posts I have seen on this board, I gather the Stream app does not allow this. The only workaround I've read is to direct the Android operating system to "adopt" the SD memory as part of its internal memory. But apparently Verizon has disabled this feature on Galaxy S-5s, even though the current Android operating system should allow it.

Sigh.

If I am incorrect and there is a way to tell the Stream app to store on the phone's new SD card, please let me know.

Allen

I just did some testing on a tablet and cheapo android phone. both have small internet memory but one has 32bB and tablet has 64gB both running marshmallow. The download would not happen on either until i moved (yet again) the app to the SD card using the settings app > storage > apps and manually moved to SD. I then was able to download (apparently) to the SD card. an hour show took about 850mB. interesting. must be a new feature of the latest stream app. This same test did not work around a year ago.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, Rustyben, for your reply. 

I just did some testing. I moved the app to the SD portable storage ... but the app still stored the shows on the internal memory. I assessed this by going to Settings | Storage  pre- and post- download. The internal number changed, the usage of the SD card didn't. Sigh.

FYI I'm using a Verizon Galaxy S5 running what I believe is Marshmallow.

Allen

Official Employee

Allen-Cohn, I've followed the same process Rustyben did and It didn't work for me either. I do not believe this is something that can be done using this app. It's intent is to behave more like a library (where you rent content) and less like a store where you can take a video home and keep it. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

This is a PROBLEM.

This has nothing to do with rentals, or purchased content. 

I'm running an Amazon Fire Tablet and do not have enough internal memory to download RECORDED programs from my DVR to my device as advertised. What is the solution?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation