Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

At home only

Regular Visitor

At home only

So our power goes out today and my wife is having a hissy fit because Ellen is coming on and it's the 12 days of Christmas special.  I remembered something about a TV app.  I break out my phone, find the app and download it.  Once on the app, I find the Ellen show with a little note (may only be viewed at home).  I'm thinking, no problem, I'm at home.  So I punch Ellen, not Ellen, but the button to watch Ellen, It won't work.  So what now?  Well, I read a little bit and it says it has to be routed through your home modem to watch it.  This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.  The whole reason for trying to watch it on my phone is because the power is out.  I can't route it through the home modem.  So please tell me why else would I be watching Ellen on my telephone except the power is out?  We have five TV's in this house I could watch it on if the power was on.  So the very time I need this stupid live stream thing, It would work.  There has got to be a better way.

Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: At home only

redneckrod wrote:

So our power goes out today and my wife is having a hissy fit because Ellen is coming on and it's the 12 days of Christmas special.  I remembered something about a TV app.  I break out my phone, find the app and download it.  Once on the app, I find the Ellen show with a little note (may only be viewed at home).  I'm thinking, no problem, I'm at home.  So I punch Ellen, not Ellen, but the button to watch Ellen, It won't work.  So what now?  Well, I read a little bit and it says it has to be routed through your home modem to watch it.  This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.  The whole reason for trying to watch it on my phone is because the power is out.  I can't route it through the home modem.  So please tell me why else would I be watching Ellen on my telephone except the power is out?  We have five TV's in this house I could watch it on if the power was on.  So the very time I need this stupid live stream thing, It would work.  There has got to be a better way.

I'm sorry for your frustration. The producers of the Ellen show do not make it available On Demand and the Live airings are on local broadcast networks. The only local broadcast networks that are available when not connected to your home network are ABC and NBC in select markets where the parent network owns the station. The rest of the country's stations are owned by "Affiliates" who do not allow streaming outside the home.

All Replies
Expert

redneckrod wrote:

happened to me this week (down for 4-5 hours). My UPS battery died after 2 minutes (replaced same day). I was able to connect to a neighbor's xfinitywifi SSID and could watch completed recordings. Normally my 1500VA will keep the router and cable modem up and running for an hour or more.

Official Employee

redneckrod wrote:

I'm sorry for your frustration. The producers of the Ellen show do not make it available On Demand and the Live airings are on local broadcast networks. The only local broadcast networks that are available when not connected to your home network are ABC and NBC in select markets where the parent network owns the station. The rest of the country's stations are owned by "Affiliates" who do not allow streaming outside the home.