Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

AppleTV Xfinity tvOS 11.2 authentication fails

Frequent Visitor

AppleTV Xfinity tvOS 11.2 authentication fails

My mom is 101 years old.

She stays with us at our house which doesn't have Xfinity available so, we bought her an AppleTV and set it up with the many apps for the channels she watches from her Xfinity Away From Home. This worked OK until last week's tvOS upgrade to v11.2. Now, when we attempt to use any of these channel apps, we get the failure dialog reading: "Unfortunately it appears as if your user account is not authorized to view this content. This could be due to the following reasons: -This channel is not included in your paid TV subscription. -Your subscription is for Internet only. -Parental control settings may be blocking this content. For further information, please contact your TV provider."

She's been watching these channel apps since the AppleTV with apps, came out a few years back so, her package has had full access to them in the past. Parental controls are OFF. And I checked to see if the channels were available on the Mac Xfinity app or via the Mac Safari web browser or via her iPad and they all claim she is unauthorized?

I've tried logging her out and back in (many times) and it will sometimes work for one program then refuse?

Again, she is 101 years old! And she can't report the probem because the Xfinity help website requires the birth year and it won't believe anyone is 100 years old or older?

This woman is half blind, nearly deaf and lives for her shows and this kind of nonsense is really devastating!

She pays her $175 every month! Does anyone know how to get this working, again, please? 

Service Expert

Re: AppleTV Xfinity tvOS 11.2 authentication fails

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Hello dotreynolds, I am more than happy to assist you and your mother with getting access to your apps on AppleTV. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Never mind!

I tried on my iMac and only there, I saw why ... because you have now changed some channels to only be available in the home wifi ... nasty way to treat 101 year old senior citizens that split there time in more than one place? Shame on you and the greedy channels! Goes around comes around ... you'll retire, some day.

Merry Christmas

Official Employee

dotreynolds, I am glad that you were able to figure out the problem. This is not a decision made by Comcast, each network has its own rules and restrictions when it comes to streaming content. Most all live content and some on demand content can only be viewed while within your home network, if you want to see this changed in the future please click on this link so that your voice can be heard. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation