New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Android "TV" app and 4:3 formats

Contributor

Android "TV" app and 4:3 formats

On Android, "TV Go" app works fine.  But the "TV" app is flaky.  Yes,
there are two apps.

If I want watch 209 (MeTV) on the live "TV" app, it gives me 1:1 (square)
instead of 4:3 (rectangular) !!!  Everything is squeezed. Same thing for 208 (AntennaTV), etc.

These are 4:3 format stations, not 1:1 format.  Please fix ASAP!

I'm running Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.5:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-10-5-Inch-Tablet-Titanium/dp/B00KHA5G6G

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/tablets/galaxy-tab-s/SM-T800NZWABTU

Service Expert

Re: Android "TV" app and 4:3 formats

rickrich wrote:

On Android, "TV Go" app works fine.  But the "TV" app is flaky.  Yes,
there are two apps.

If I want watch 209 (MeTV) on the live "TV" app, it gives me 1:1 (square)
instead of 4:3 (rectangular) !!!  Everything is squeezed. Same thing for 208 (AntennaTV), etc.

These are 4:3 format stations, not 1:1 format.  Please fix ASAP!

I'm running Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.5:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-10-5-Inch-Tablet-Titanium/dp/B00KHA5G6G

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/tablets/galaxy-tab-s/SM-T800NZWABTU

some HD SD stations now are using AFD (active format description) which is in the meta data stream to instruct compliant broadcasters as to safe space to 'zoom' so that channel icons etc are not hidden. The effect of this is to give (on set top box) a 4:3 zoomed image to 14:9 or 16:9 (not recommended but some do not yet have the 14:9 transcoding). devices that can't read this like the iphone/android apps show a letterboxed 14:9 or 16:9 instead of the larger curtained 4:3. The AFD is like ATMOS in that it gives instructions on how to best present the image. comcast has not yet made the stream processor(presentation) able to handle those 'adjusted' screens.

AFD allows you to have near full screen with small curtains on left and right for 14:3 and not look distorted.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Picture format
480i (SDTV)
(downgraded to 4:3 on most over-the-air affiliates)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeTV

FYI: MeTV is SDTV 4:3.  But on the xfinity "TV" app it squeezes 4:3 to 1:1.  Not Good!  Please fix ASAP!

Service Expert

rickrich wrote:
Picture format
480i (SDTV)
(downgraded to 4:3 on most over-the-air affiliates)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeTV

FYI: MeTV is SDTV 4:3.  But on the xfinity "TV" app it squeezes 4:3 to 1:1.  Not Good!  Please fix ASAP!

the xFinity TV app for both iphone and android devices disregards the 'newer' AFD macro commands.. the image when transmitted is now adjusted to be approx 14:9 and the AFD command that is read properly by the x1 set top boxes appear to be near full screen with tiny curtains on the side. I hope they fix that on the apps asap. Looks really bad 'curtained' all the way around the active image.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Android "TV" app is still 1:1 on MeTV, AntennaTV, etc. after one month.  Please fix. Android "TV Go" app is fine.

Service Expert

rickrich wrote:

Android "TV" app is still 1:1 on MeTV, AntennaTV, etc. after one month.  Please fix. Android "TV Go" app is fine.

both those networks you listed are now providing a new format called AFD. If you view them on X1 set top boxes (and possibly the xfinity legacy equipment), you will see a near 16:9 formatted image that fills most of the 16:9 wide screen TVs. The provider frames (similar to pan and scan) the image so it is 14:9 and 'manages' all icon placement by the affiliates so that the effect is similar to having an SD channel nearly fill the entire HD screen. 

The set top boxes are handling the 'info' (meta) stream properly but the apps have not yet been taught (programmed) to honor the AFD formatting. They are aware of it and last we heard a few weeks ago was that the AFD issue was passed up to the app's video engineering department.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Silver Problem Solver

The widescreen setting is similar to DVD. Techincally, the video format is 4:3, but it is squished horizontally. When a 4:3 program is shown, pillarboxing (black bars on sides) are added. When properly tagged, a compatible device will stretch it horizontally to 16:9. Most HD cable boxes will 'convert' it to HD since that is usually configured as 16:9. My SD DTA just chops it to 4:3. My parents ancient DCT-2000 series just leaves it as-is.

It sounds like the TV app just assumes all SD is 4:3. That is why it looks odd as it's displaying 4:3, but you see the raw picture with the pillarboxing, making the picture look to be nearly 1:1. I don't know if it's visible, but if you had any way of adjusting the brightness or contrast, you might be able to see the difference between the 'black' pillarboxes and the unused (true 16:9) area beyond that.

Service Expert

andyross wrote:

The widescreen setting is similar to DVD. Techincally, the video format is 4:3, but it is squished horizontally. When a 4:3 program is shown, pillarboxing (black bars on sides) are added. When properly tagged, a compatible device will stretch it horizontally to 16:9. Most HD cable boxes will 'convert' it to HD since that is usually configured as 16:9. My SD DTA just chops it to 4:3. My parents ancient DCT-2000 series just leaves it as-is.

It sounds like the TV app just assumes all SD is 4:3. That is why it looks odd as it's displaying 4:3, but you see the raw picture with the pillarboxing, making the picture look to be nearly 1:1. I don't know if it's visible, but if you had any way of adjusting the brightness or contrast, you might be able to see the difference between the 'black' pillarboxes and the unused (true 16:9) area beyond that.

SD channels face a lot of objections to the large curtains on the left and right side, the meta data (similar to the new Dolby ATMOS) gives instructions that a compliant device uses to dispaly the picture in the intended 14:9 format. any non-compliant device will display as a 'postage stamp' with curtains all around. This is 2016 new stuff and to 'us' it is like magic. I read thru the specs and it seemed to imply that the stream must be progressive not interlaced but as I look back on articles now I can't find a reference to the source video format in the AFD prepared video.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Android "TV" app is still 1:1 on MeTV, AntennaTV, etc. after 1.5 months.  Please fix.

Service Expert

rickrich wrote:

Android "TV" app is still 1:1 on MeTV, AntennaTV, etc. after 1.5 months.  Please fix.

i confirmed that on my android phone (just got updates installed today for android too).

Iphone is processing the 2 channels you listed that are formatted with AFD to appear as 14:9 (nearly 16:9 two narrow black curtains on either side). Apparently the android version of the xFinity TV app does not process the AFD instructions. the Iphone/ipad both properly display the image.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Android "TV" app is still 1:1 on MeTV, AntennaTV, etc. after 2 months.  Please fix.

Service Expert

rickrich wrote:

Android "TV" app is still 1:1 on MeTV, AntennaTV, etc. after 2 months.  Please fix.

new version for android today and AFD is not fixed. also on local news channel with CC on x1 set top box the CC was dimmed (button on android screen) and could not be turned on. 3.10.0.016 is the android version.

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Upgraded to 3.10.0.016 right now.  Same thing.

Admin1

rickrich -- I spoke with our App Support team in regards to this format. They have opened a support ticket and will work through this issue. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Admin1

Got a response from our App team on this. The channel format is working as designed. Here is the result of their investigation:

• I have reviewed this ticket and can confirm that this is working as designed. The channels that have been identified tend to play older shows and movies. Therefore, they were not available in larger formatting, nor are they available in HD. You will notice that both stations are only available in SD. The formatting seems to be configured by the source and sent to us to package and broadcast.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

So I have to watch it squished horizontally???  Jeez...  Just make an user selected option: "standard", "overscan", or "filled", like my TV does.

Service Expert

rickrich wrote:

So I have to watch it squished horizontally???  Jeez...  Just make an user selected option: "standard", "overscan", or "filled", like my TV does.

I'm hopeful that the AFD will soon be honored on android devices. The web TV live site and iDevice apps are working with AFD now. Both my android tablet and android phone (both marshmallow) are not currently processing the AFD 'text' format directions to allow proper rendering of the image, and the effect is as you describe in this case of being squished as in a funhouse mirror.  the 16:9 programs appear as a centered postage stamp image with huge curtains all around when the AFD is not processed properly on the android devices. Let's give them a bit of time to recognize the problem is only on android (so far) and needs to be addressed/fixed.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Android "TV" app is still 1:1 on MeTV, AntennaTV, etc. after 4 months.  Please fix.

A real TV shows it at 4:3:

000.jpg

But Android squishes it to 1:1.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation