Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

how do i find out if comcast cable(internet) has a malicious spy virus o my computer

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 2
i was told by a pop-up that my comcast internet was highjacked and had a malicious spywed virius .i only play games on it but it tells me all my personal information is in trouble ,bank accounts etc how can i find out if tis is true or am i being targeted to by extra anti -virus software i am not computer smart as i said i just pplay games ...thank you in advance for your help
1 REPLY
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2 of 2

Hi ladygato70!

Please if I am rude I just need you to understand that I am doing it for your own good.

Don't call the number, don't believe what that pop-up tells you this is why:

If you believe that you're scammed just by believing because you felt for it, now how can you know if is true or not I am going to tell a story:

Pop-up: Hi Mero-Mero my name is Pop-up(scam pop-up) I am showing myself to you because I checked your computer and noticed that it got infected with a zeus virus( or any type or virus) and I want to help you which you just need to call this number 1-800/1-888 so we are going to help you with this.

Mero-Mero: Okay( Calling.........).

Pop-up: Hi my name is Pop-up are you calling about the virus on your computer? 

Mero-mero: Yes!

Pop-up: let me just tell you that there a bunch of people connected to you computer also viruses that are stealing you information, so we just need to access to your computer and we are going to fix it right away!

Mero-Mero: great.

If you understood my point DON'T DO IT DON'T CALL, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME , don't compromise your computer and information, please don't do it, save your information, yourself and your information, if you call the number you will be completely scammed.

you need to understand that Comcast, Microsoft or any other company that has or work as tech support, they will never NEVER let you know that your computer is infected with a virus, there is not way that they are always checking you computer getting into it seeing what you do and more, this what you were able to see is just a scam,  please don't fall for it.

Now I will tell you how you can prevent this from happening again:

Tools that you will need:

1- adblock plus( or any other ad blocker).

2-  A browser being( Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft adge, Opera, Brave) Not compatible with Internet explorer so don't try.

3- patience.

Now how to use those tools.

The adblock will block every single advertise unfortunately also Comcast but we will talk about that in a moment, now this does not block javascript from time to time you will see some pop-ups.

if you are using one of those browsers(except) go to google.com then type adblock and click enter  then the first link which is going to be the official site( adblock.org), you are going to see install for Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft adge depending in the one used by you, after you successfully install the.ext( EXTENSION) you are going to see a new icon at the top of the browser right side corner, stop sign with ABP on it, you can fallow the same process on every browser mentioned above(except  brave), so please feel free to use it. 

Now not all the ads will be block some of them you will see them  if you want to block all of them including the ones that use javascript (pop-ups most of them), you are going to need a javascript blocker