Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

answer to security question changed

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 4 (221 Views)

answer to security question changed

Just discovered that the answer to security question (in case you forget password to access Comcast account - I'm not talking about email) has been changed. It was weird. However, the info of the secondary account holder is intact and had not been fiddled with. I was put to Security (in Dominican Republic) but he was just trying to sell me Identity Guard to monitor access to my accounts and credit cards, etc. somehow implying that the breach was on my end. He could not provide me info as to when the change too place, or anything useful other than telling to change passwords and the usual thing. I got fed up and went back to ask Customer Service to get me someone closer to home who can help. I got another person from Costa Rico who was better since he did not act like a salesman. I got the usual advice. I practically had to make him escalate my issue to make upstairs aware that this hack happened and it is not likely on my end. The sense I get is that they are all trained to tell you to change account passwords, wifi passwords, and all such. I did not get the impression they are much concerned about security breaches. How about Comcast looking into the security of their system? Comcast should take these breach more seriously and train their Security people accordingly.
3 REPLIES
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 2 of 4 (178 Views)

Re: answer to security question changed

Hi sandpb,

Are you sure you were in contact with Comcast Security.  The following is the website for Identity Guard and as you can see, they are not part of Comcast, just as Norton is not part of Comcast.  Comcast is just offering their services be it free or at addtional expense.

https://www.identityguard.com/

Does your Secondary account holder have full priveldges?  If so is it posible that user changed the password for the Primary user?

What phone number did you use for contact - just seems strange to me that Comcast Security Support would be located offshore.  It almost sounds like a CSR for Idenity Guard, ratgher than Comcast - are you sure you were talking with Comcast Customer Service?

How to contact the Comcast Customer Security Assurance Department:

The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected PCs (commonly referred to as "bots"), online fraud and other security issues.

Normal business hours (M-F, 9:00 am to 11:30 pm EST
S-S, 10:30 am to 6:30 pm EST)

1 -888-565-4329

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 4 (125 Views)

Hello USAF

Thank you for your post.  I called Customer Service (CS) at 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278), explained my problem and they passed me on to Security.  So it must have been the right number.  I was unaware of 1-888-565-4329 and therefore did not call this number.

I called CS again right after speaking to Dom Rep and told her how disappointed I was with the sales tactic and she was sympathetic and explained that she is not set up to help me and will try to find someone (she asked for my zip code) in US to help me but I guess she could not because I was routed to Costa Rica.

I was told by Dom Rep to go to http://constantguard.xfinity.com/.  He told me where to click and that is how I realized he was asking to me buy into the monitoring services (Identity Guard Premier at $14.99 after trial).  

Also my fourth call was again to CS at same number to check on some other matter.  So in short, I got the right number.  Many companies have some portion of their customer servicing situated overseas and perhaps Comcast is one of them.  This is the first time I spoke to Security and the first time I was routed overseas.  My previous contacts were of other nature (Billing, Technical) and it was always a US personnel judging from accent.

My secondary account holder has full privileges but confirmed did not change anything (we have a system we abide by when making any changes so that the other would know).

Anyway, I just logged in again and noted that I could no longer click to unhide/view my security answer like I could earlier. 

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 4 of 4 (111 Views)

Hi sandpb,

Thanks for your reply and explaination of your calls/ user agreement for changes.

Re: your last statement:  "I just logged in again and noted that I could no longer click to unhide/view my security answer like I could earlier."

Are you saying things are as they should be now?

Also did you ever call Comcast Customer Security Assurance Department @ 1 -888-565-4329 and get someone off shore?

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon