New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XFINITY Alerts

Regular Contributor

XFINITY Alerts

So I got a couple of emails from Xfinity saying:

One or more of your devices may have been infected with a bot. Don't worry, since you have Constant Guard by XFINITY, you're just a few steps away from sorting it out.
There's a big blue "Remove the bot" button below that. If I click that, I get to the constantguard.comcast.net website, where it tells me to run Malwarebytes or whatever, to find it myself. So I do that on the computers in my house - Malwarebytes reports everything okey-dokey. 

My question is this: What prompted Xfinity to send me this email? What evidence does Xfinity have that I may have a bot? Can Xfinity give me more information so that I can track it down?

Security Expert

Re: XFINITY Alerts

Have a look at the following Customer Security Assurance:

http://constantguard.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks, but that's not at all pertinent.

Regular Contributor

Also, the message states:

"See how Constant Guard identifies bots on your
devices or learn more about XFINITY Internet's policies."

When I click on that link, it takes me to the Xfinity Internet support front page, where there is no information on how Constant Guard identifies bots.

Security Expert

Are the links in your last post from the email you received?  If so they seem to be misleading.

See if the following helps you any:

https://constantguard.xfinity.com/products-and-services/bot-detection-and-removal/

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/constant-guard-bot-notifications-policy/

Within Xfinity's Internet Policies is the following (very old admittedly) article:

Constant Guardâ„¢ Bot Detection and Notification National Rollout Begins

Published:

In October 2009, we announced the market trial of our new Constant Guardâ„¢ bot detection and notification system. The system was designed to detect bot activity and send customers a "Service Notice" when we believe their computer has been infected with a bot or other malware. Based on the success of the market trial, we have decided to rollout the bot detection and notification system to our entire network over the next few months. For additional information, feel free to visit our blog post or our Constant Guardâ„¢ page.

I still suggest you call Customer Security Assistance as included in the link in my previous post.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I've been to both of those links. There's nothing there that can help me. I believe I'd rather drive flaming spikes into my eyes than contact Comcast Customer Assistance. At this point, if they think I have a problem, they'll have to prove it to me. Ball's in their court. I'm ignoring these messages, assuming they're false positives.

Thanks for trying.

Security Expert

OK suit yourself, but please note, I suggested calling Customer Security Assistance, not the dreaded Comcast Customer Assistance.

If you feel like you or someone you know has been the victim of an online security issue, here's how to let the right people know.

Please refer customers with concerns about infections etc. related to Constant Guard to the below URL.

Specifically,

How to contact the Comcast Customer Security Assurance Department:

The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected PCs (commonly referred to as "bots"), online fraud and other security issues.

Normal business hours (M-F, 9:00 am to 11:30 pm EST
S-S, 10:30 am to 6:30 pm EST)

1 -888-565-4329

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I finally called them, and it was as I expected. They know nothing. All the rep could tell me was that "the system" noticed suspicious activity, which I already knew. She could not give me any more detail, and has no access to "the system". Worse than worthless.

Regular Contributor

"So I got a couple of emails from Xfinity saying:

One or more of your devices may have been infected with a bot. Don't worry, since you have Constant Guard by XFINITY, you're just a few steps away from sorting it out.
There's a big blue "Remove the bot" button below that. If I click that, I get to the constantguard.comcast.net website, where it tells me to run Malwarebytes or whatever, to find it myself. So I do that on the computers in my house - Malwarebytes reports everything okey-dokey. 
My question is this: What prompted Xfinity to send me this email? What evidence does Xfinity have that I may have a bot? Can Xfinity give me more information so that I can track it down?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

12xuserI have received those bot reports before in the past. Ignore them. It's nothing more than a sales pitch and Comcast should be ashamed.

It never hurts to take matters into your own hands. Kudos for running Malwarebytes (I am a lifetime Premium subscriber). It is my express opinion that your computer(s) are, indeed, not botted. If you would like a second opinion and the peace of mind knowing your computers are free of malware, you can easily do so with FREE assistance from a trained malware removal expert available at a number of websites that specialize in that sort of thing. I made a list: 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet/Where-to-Seek-Malware-Removal-Assistance/...

Want to more about these trained malware removal experts? https://uniteagainstmalware.com/

<--> U.S. Navy Vietnam Era veteran. You're welcome. <-->
Regular Contributor

That's my opinion, too. I've used Malwarebytes for a long time, and even the fine people at bleepingcomputer. I feel like if there is an actual problem Comcast should be more helpful. I mean, unless my Internet connection starts clogging up do I really care if someone is using my computer to send out spam or DDOS someone? I do, of course, but it doesn't really affect me as much as it does Comcast. 

I use a VPN and sandbox my browser. I'm pretty careful, but right now there are a dozen connected devices on my network and I know there's always a chance something could get through and take over my toaster or whatever. For Comcast to tell me I have a bot then refuse to share their evidence is ridiculous.
My guess is that they don't like the VPN, that the VPN IPs are on some stupid list of known spammer IPs.

Thanks for your reply.