members

online now

discussions

Uninstall Norton Security Suite

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Uninstall Norton Security Suite

Can someone tell me how to get rid of it altogether. It has embedded itself in almost everything (applications, firefox, etc). It has slowed down my computer, it makes starting up and shutting down slower than normal, and you can't shut off the option for it to scan when you leave your computer idle. I don't understand why it uses to many computer resources, it is actually doing more damage than helping my computer at this moment.
Accepted Solution

Re: Uninstall Norton Security Suite

I uninstalled Norton just using add/remove programs in the control panel and it went pretty well. I downloaded some free registry cleaner and it got rid of most of the Norton entries in my registry. I have to admit, my computer is running 50% faster. I downloaded a free virus scanner. I think i feel a lot better having a faster computer with a decent virus scanner then a slow, laggy computer with an annoying virus program, like Norton that doesn't let you customize anything. If you try to shut off any options like auto updates it instantly starts bugging you.. I had mcafee then switched to norton, i have to admit i wish i got rid of both a long time ago.
View answer in context
Service Expert

The first thing you need to do is have something in place, ready to install after you uninstall Norton. You don't need to go searching on the internet for something if you don't have an antivirus.

Next download the Norton Removal tool. Save it to your desktop. You can download it from HERE

Scroll down the page to Step 4 where you will find the download link. You don't need to be concerned with steps 1-3 if you are not reinstalling.

Before you do anything to uninstall Norton, enable the Windows firewall.

Next, uninstall Norton using Add/Remove programs.

When it completes, you'll be told you need to reboot, do so.

After you reboot, run the removal tool.

You'll have to reboot again. After this reboot, install your new security program(s).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

You will not have any fun removing this hog.even with the removal tool it will leave your registry full of a lot of junk.Open regedit click on edit then find type in norton when it comes to an item delete it uner edit then click find next .continue till it finds no more norton items.Then find symantic listings. This will take a long time the last time I did this there were more than 80 listings for norton.If you don't clean up the registry all the junk left behind will definitely cause problems.Norton is not the best just one of the biggest AV .Even Microsoft security suite is smaller and better,also free
Security Expert

smileydoc, I agree with your comments about the removal of Norton being difficult  - a few years ago. 

I agree that Norton was a hog - a few years ago. 

However, unless you have tried Norton in the last year or so (since 2009 programs came out), you are not talking about the current Norton programs.

As an ex-Norton user of about 5 years, I got fed up with it and ditched it for Kaspersky, so I know what you are referring to.  However I purchased a new Win 7 system and trialed NIS 2009, loved it, couldn;t believe it was by the same manufacturer.  I am now running NIS 2010 on 3 systems ( Win 7, XP and Vista) with no problems, no CPU hogging and no slow downs.

I'll wait for Queen-Evie's post on your comments, as I know she has installed, removed and reinstalled COMCAST's version of Norton.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Security Expert

Smiley makes some hard to read points (because of the formatting, spelling, and punctuation used) about removing Norton and a presumed requirement that using a registry editor is necessary.

I would suggest that editing your Registry to remove Norton entries is not necessary, but can be done, provided you have an understating of the Registry structure, the function of the Registry keys you see, and have backed up the keys you remove.

I would suggest, however, that you remove all of the data structures related to Norton that were not removed by the Norton Removal tool and are still present after the "post removal tool execution" re-boot. 

For a description of a Rigorous Norton uninstall click here.

Message Edited by CWH803 on 02-28-2010 11:32 AM

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Service Expert

I uninstalled Norton for other reasons that have nothing to do with it causing issues with my computer.

I quickly reinstalled it after my testing.

My method of uninstall is NOT using Add/Remove programs.

I prefer Revo Uninstaller/Advanced Mode, which does a deep scan of a system to find leftover registry items and files and folders related to the program being uninstalled.

I then, as a matter of preference, use the Norton removal tool.

Therefore, I cannot comment on anything being left in the registry or anywhere else. If I had installed a DIFFERENT security product after uninstalling Norton, I could search to see what, if anything, is left behind after all that.

I do agree with CWH that one should not go mucking around in the registry unless you know what you are doing and you are comfortable and confident enough in your skills to do so. Removing the wrong thing can have disastrous consequences for your system.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Another way to do it is to create a restore point before installing it.

Then run the uninstaller, and after that do a system restore.

Of course, that's no good if you already have it installed and there are no restore points prior to that...

And Norton doesn't create its own restore point when installing, which is really kind of irresponsible on Symantec's part, IMO.

But it's always a good idea to manually create a restore point prior to installing anything you think you might want to remove, such as potentifally questionable apps such as freeware, shareware, and trials, and new or beta drivers.

I agree with Queen-Evie though. You shouldn't ever go into your Windows registry and start deleting things unless you know exactly what you're looking for and exactly what everything is there for.

Message Edited by mj41865 on 03-01-2010 12:36 PM
Frequent Visitor

I uninstalled Norton just using add/remove programs in the control panel and it went pretty well. I downloaded some free registry cleaner and it got rid of most of the Norton entries in my registry. I have to admit, my computer is running 50% faster. I downloaded a free virus scanner. I think i feel a lot better having a faster computer with a decent virus scanner then a slow, laggy computer with an annoying virus program, like Norton that doesn't let you customize anything. If you try to shut off any options like auto updates it instantly starts bugging you.. I had mcafee then switched to norton, i have to admit i wish i got rid of both a long time ago.
Security Expert

Happy to hear you got it uninstalled and are happy with your "new found speed". 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Sorry, removal tool is not available at the click 'HERE' button.

New Poster

I want to uninstall from my Mac. Any ideas?

Security Expert

Hi glenviewcastle,

Do you really expect a link in a post that was made in February of 2010 to work in Nov of 2015.

Try this lik for the Norton Removal Tool.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Norton Expert

Hello ,

For Mac, please use the tool as mentioned in Support Article:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080427024142EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Harry

Norton Support

Frequent Visitor

FYI, the link for the tool does not work with Chrome.

Maybe with other browsers. There are different tools also.

There should be a warning for the poor folks who are going to install it in their machines. Why in the world would Norton/Comcast do this. Compounded by that oher allegedly security program it just makes a mess.

I am glad I read before installing but I implore you all to create an advisory for those about to install it.

Security Expert

nowellp wrote:

FYI, the link for the tool does not work with Chrome.

Maybe with other browsers. There are different tools also.

There should be a warning for the poor folks who are going to install it in their machines. Why in the world would Norton/Comcast do this. Compounded by that oher allegedly security program it just makes a mess.

I am glad I read before installing but I implore you all to create an advisory for those about to install it.

Uhmm, which tool are you talking about the one for MAC or the one for Windows PC's?

What "it" are they going to install?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon