New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Unable to download Norton Removal Tool

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Unable to download Norton Removal Tool

Prior to deleting my paid subscription copy of Norton 360 Antivirus, my attempt to download Norton Removal Tool generated the following error message:

SECURITY ALERT - Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded

QUESTION: Does this error message occur because I have not yet deleted my existing Norton 360 software, or for some other reason that can be remedied ? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to download Norton Removal Tool

Sorry, SMSgt., my computer is running Internet Explorer Version 8, which might explain why I don't see the  'Enable Protect Mode' facility.

After doing another 'walk through', for 'Installing Norton  Security Suite', it appears I'm 'good  to go' (for now).

Maybe I did learn something in Long Range Reconnaissance (big grin).

Thanks Again for your time

View answer in context
Norton Expert

Hello ,

This message appears as a part of the Security settings in the Internet Explorer(browser) you use. In the Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom Level and check if you have Enabled files under the "Downloads" section.

This would be a problem due to the previous Norton 360 you got on the computer. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Harry

Norton Support

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, Harry.

Regrettably, it appears the 'Download' option that you described, is 'enabled'.

Please advise.

Security Expert

Hi NET_ELF,

Just a quick question,  on the Security Tab is Internet selected at the top of the page?

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Norton Expert

Can you check the settings for "Launching applications and unsafe files" is set to "Prompt"? Do you have Protected Mode enabled in the Security tab in Internet Explorer Settings?

This is a message thrown by Internet Explorer and your older version of Norton got nothing to do in this.

Thanks!

Harry

Norton Support

Frequent Visitor

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Valued Contributor

Launching applications is found under : tools, internet options, security tab, (internet catagory), click custom level and go down to miscellaneous catagory its there.   Im in win 7 ie10 but prob similiar in others.

I have no idea if it fixes your issue but thats how you find it Smiley Happy

fwiw mine is set to prompt.

Also: I had to set the enable protect mode to unchecked to run NF.  This is the other thing op was referencing:   tools, i net options, security, (i net) make sure enable prot mode at bottem is unticked if you run norton you should be covered, thats what I was told here.

Maybe reseting the browser by hitting reset in all security zones will help but it will take away all personalized settings if you set them.  Still may have to do the above tho'.

Back to other poster for help, good luck.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, folks.

Yes, MSGT, the INTERNET icon, in the 'window' is highlighted.

My 'Launching Applications and Unsafe Files' was 'punched' DISABLE, so 'punching' PROMPT allowed me to copy the Norton Removal Tool to my computer;however, I was unable to find the 'Enable Protect Mode' that, apparently, everyone else can see.

To put my (solved) problem in perspective to my goal, of replacing my paid version of Norton 360, with the complementary Norton Security Suite, I'm unclear how to respond to the (two) following (anticipated) obstacles:

(1) During deletion of Norton 360, do I wish to 'preserve my settings' or 'remove all user data',  in preparation of the immediate install of Norton Security Suite ?

(2) Must I take extra precautions in removing Norton Security Vault, during this process ?

Security Expert

Hi NET_ELF,

OK, sounds like you got the NRT saved to your system ok now.

What version of IE are you running?  If you are running a version lower than IE 10 the Enable Protected Mode option is not available.  I do not have it as I am running IE9 on this system, but do have it on another desktop that I am running IE 10 on.  So it could be a non-player in your situation.

(1) During deletion of Norton 360, do I wish to 'preserve my settings' or 'remove all user data', in preparation of the immediate install of Norton Security Suite ?

[B]You may get a different opinion from Norton Support on this answer, but I have always found that a clean install of NSS is the best route to go, even when switching from N 360 (retail) to NSS.  I have always recommended using the instructions in this NSS FAQ when switching from a Norton retail product to NSS.  Although the instructions do not tell you which option to choose (save settings or remove settings), I would recommend removing the settings, since you'll be running the Norton Removal Tool anyway.[/B]

(2) Must I take extra precautions in removing Norton Security Vault, during this process ?

[B]I would suggest you Export your ID Safe data in both .csv and.dat format to a USB drive or CD/DVD incase you lose it durng the transition. [/B]

If you need assistance inorder to do the Export and the Import if needed after switching, [l;ease ask us prior to starting the switch.

I am going to PM Norton Support and ask them to comment on this thread as I know Norton can have some different ideas in regards to how the NRT is used when compared to some of users. 

Oh, an E-8 in the AF is a SMSgt - but regardless of what they call us Senior NCO's, the pays the same for the same E designation! Smiley Wink

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Good point, SMSgt, . . . My apologies.

To my knowledge, I've not made use of the Norton Security Vault, though I've read that eliminating it can be a problem.

Thanks for your help.

USA_E-3_1969. 

Norton Expert

Glad to know that you are able to download the files. If you have not used the Identity Safe vault, you don't have to worry about the import and export. You can choose the option to "leave settings" as this would probably import and use the same settings for the firewall rules & antispam rules. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Harry

Norton Support

Frequent Visitor

Sorry, SMSgt., my computer is running Internet Explorer Version 8, which might explain why I don't see the  'Enable Protect Mode' facility.

After doing another 'walk through', for 'Installing Norton  Security Suite', it appears I'm 'good  to go' (for now).

Maybe I did learn something in Long Range Reconnaissance (big grin).

Thanks Again for your time

Frequent Visitor

Sorry, . . . thanks again, ALL, for your time.