Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Norton blocking xfinity

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 12

Intermittently, Norton is blocking my.xfinity.com as "fraudulent".  What might be going on?

11 REPLIES
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 2 of 12

Hi burnskaurin,

i have not noticed any blocking  - can you supply a URL or exactly what you are lookng at when you seeing it?

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 3 of 12

Going to the site "http://my.xfinity.com/?cid=cust" (while logging on and trying to get to email), Norton instead displays in the browser window a message that the site is blocked as a known fraudulent website.  This does not happen every time, but happened a few times last night and this morning.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the feedback.   I have followed that URL off and on probably 10 times total between to two sysytems (WIN 10 and running retail Norton Security Premium and WIN 7 running Comcast NSS and have not seen any blocking.

Can you provide some more info re your Operating System, default browser, aner verify you are running NSS version 22.8.1.14 .  You can find that info on main opage of NSS > Help > About.

If possible, could you supply a screen shot of the block when it happens again - the info on it may be helpful in treacking this down.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 12

The version of Norton is the right one.  We use Chrome, and Windows XP.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 12

I experienced exactly the same warning/blocking from Norton a couple of hours ago when accessing my.xfinity.com. I selected the option to report the site to Norton as safe. After that, the warning/blocking stopped.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 7 of 12

Thanks for the feedback and image.

I am working on another situation in the following thread with similar (although not exact) symptoms and have asked Comcast for assistance, but have not heard back anything yet.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet/infinity-toolbar-dangerous/m-p/2861079/hig...

Also there have been discussion on the Norton Forums re FF 51.0.1 update causing problems with XP systems.

I do not know if any of this is tied together, but I will keep my ear to the ground to see if any more info is available. 

Unfortunately I am using WIN 10 on one system and WIN 7 on the system I have Comcast NSS running on so I can not duplicate using XP.

BTW - do you by chance have the Xfinity Toolbar installed on you system?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 8 of 12

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.  We do not use Xfinity toolbar.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 12

Thank you.  I saw your reply and checked the screenshot--it did not look like I was given that option.  Was the option on the "site is blocked" page or something you did within Norton itself?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 10 of 12

burnskaurin wrote:

Thank you.  I saw your reply and checked the screenshot--it did not look like I was given that option.  Was the option on the "site is blocked" page or something you did within Norton itself?

If you're referring to me, there was a small, red, text link on the Norton, Chrome page blocking my.xfinity.com. That link let me report the site as safe, assuming that it was. It was not in Norton. I didn't think to take a screenshot. I only checked here after I had dealt with it. I was wondering if anybody else had that problem.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 11 of 12

@burnskaurin,

For starters, I looked more closely at your image and I do not see the Norton Toolbar.  Please check your Extensions  in Chrome and see if the Norton Toolbar is enabled. Once it is enabled, you should see an entry on the NTB that states "This page is Safe"  - or maybe not safe.  Anyway once you see that you can click on it and see the second image I posted above pertaining to the evaulation of the site.

@VitaminE,

Are you also on XP and am I corretc inrading that you are using Chrome?  Do you have the Norton Toolbar Extension enabled?

Sorry for any confusion  as I was not clear in who I was asking the questions of before.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 12 of 12

@USAAF_E-8_RET

Thank you for looking at this.  The warning has not appeared for a few days.  I did run a full Norton security scan in case we had something bad, but that came up empty.