Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Norton Security Suite

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 50

I updated my Xfinity service about 2 weeks ago. Today I received a popup that says I have canceled Norton Secruity Suite.

I have followed all the directions about uninstalling, using Norton's removal tool, rebooting, and re-installing, but the install will not accept my PIN.

The activation Window says that Norton 360 cannot accept my PIN at this time.

Never had a problem in over ten years installing and re-installing Comcast's version of of the security suite.

What's up ?

Has Comcast dropped the Norton service ?

49 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster

Message 2 of 50

I am having the exact same problem.  All my PCs in the house has the exact same popup message.  I have been a Comcast internet customer for over 5 years.  I updated my Comcast services two months ago.  I think Comcast pushed some kind of Norton updates this afternoon and invalidated the subscription status.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 3 of 50

This happened to me as well today and is one of a long string of problems with activation of this software suite through Comcast from the beginning.  This 'free' suite costs me far more more than a paid product in time in terms of me supporting the family PC's when activation suddenly takes a dump and refers all the PC's to a site to pay for the suite, my family members panic and call me.  I purchased Kaspersky premium directly instead, the $49 a year to protect 5 PC's is well worth eliminating the panic phone calls every 3 or 4 months from my family. I will sleep better now.   @Comcast and other folks I hope you figure this out, I'm done.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 4 of 50

My elderly parents got this same thing tonight and called me. I'm not getting it on mine, but I'm on a Mac version. Sounds to me like someone "pushed a wrong button" that's resulting in this issue. I'm not close enough to my folks to drive over to uninstall and reinstall and they're not tech-savvy enough to do it even if I tried to walk them through it. Pitiful.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 5 of 50

I have 2 PC computers in house and this same exact problem his both of them this morning. Cannot get a fresh install of Norton Security Suit. As described, it says my PIN is not good for Norton 360.

Have wasted many hours trying to reinstall Norton today. My account with Comcast has been in place 10 years with no changes and my account has a credit due to recent payment. Comcast/Norton...you need to figure out what's going on.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 6 of 50

i called the 800 number for Norton and the person said that they are working on the issue and it should be fixed within 24-48 hours.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 7 of 50

From Norton: "I am sorry that, currently we have ongoing issue with the activation of Norton subscription through Comcast and we are working on it to fix the issue. However it will take 24-48 hours of time. I would request you try after 48 hours. I will keep this case open so that you can certainly get back after 48 hours if the issue persists even after 48 hours.​"

Posted by
Contributor

Message 8 of 50

I received the same answer from an online chat with Norton.  They said the situation may be corrected in 24 to 48 hours; something wrong with the activation server.  In the meantime, I uninstalled Norton with the Norton removal tool and installed a 30 trial of Bitdefender.  

Posted by

Message 9 of 50

Some XFINITY Internet customers are receiving an error message stating that their Norton Security Suite has expired or been cancelled, and that they must re-enroll. The is a Norton error, and we recommend that if you’re receiving this message you contact them directly at 877-272-7149.

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 10 of 50

Yes, Jacob we know that by now captain obvious. It's been ongoing intermittently for weeks. The only people who noticed are I.T. tech savy because they actually pay attention. We're talking 1,000's of people affected. 

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 11 of 50

Thanks for all the replies. At least Norton seems to be taking ownership of this problem, although some folks have been affected by it for quite a while. I wasted a whole afternoon dealing with it today.  

I've been with Comcast for years now without too many problems and none serious. After upgrading to an HD package a couple of weeks ago I've encountered this Norton snafu and a couple of Comcast- based popups asking me to call their Security folks. After speaking with them I'm still not sure why they wanted me to call. I'm thinking of canceling the HD and going back to my old setup.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 12 of 50

I spoke with Comcast tech support yesterday, and that was a terrible experience. The first person said they would transfer me to Norton support, and I was disconnected. I called back and stayed on hold forever again, and then another person said they would transfer me to Norton. I sat for an hour listening to music and a message stating that I should not hang up. Finally, I did hang up, and tried Comcast chat. The person on chat took nearly an hour of back and forth useless drivel until she finally checked with someone higher up who said it was a known problem to Norton. Okay, we KNOW it's a known problem. Why aren't they fixing it? She said it would be fixed "soon". Soon as in today or soon as in this year? She didn't know, but predicted 12 - 48 hours. She said I should change my parental controls so that I can't visit any questionable websites. Sheesh! Still waiting...no Norton. The direct line to Norton now gives a message that they are having higher than normal call volume and to call back later. I guess this problem is more extensive than I thought.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 13 of 50

Exactly what happened to me. Forget the phone number for Norton unless you have literally days to be on hold. I got into a chat with a Norton tech, in India, and told him I followed all their instructions, 5x, and got the same result. Finally he said their servers were experiencing "problems". I have heard that one before! Methinks Comcast and Norton may be in some "negotiation" for the software suite. Right now I have to depend on Windows Defender, which isn't bad. I recall having this same problem some months ago when I installed Norton, it took several tries but I eventually got it installed. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 14 of 50

What should I do, short of calling Comcast or Norton?? This just showed up on my desktop yesterday. Am I protected or not??

Posted by
Contributor

Message 15 of 50

What I did was uninstall Norton with their removal tool.  You can get a free 30 day trial of bitdefender or just go with free Avast.  Hopefully, Symantec will sort it out within a month so you can go back to Norton (if you still want to).  Defender does come on automatically (in Windows 10) which is better than nothing.  I feel safer with a full fledged anti-virus program, though. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 16 of 50

I had the same experience with the Xfinity Norton Cancelation -- long hold waits, customer service who knew nothing about it, Xfinity and Norton blaming each other, etc. What gets me is that Xfinity's security department said they were aware of the issue for days but have not communicated it to their paying internet customers.  

Problems happen but a little honesty and communication about the issue would go a long way.  They could have sent an email out to their customers about the issue instead of letting our systems go vunerable.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 17 of 50

I've been in the same boat as everyone here since yesterday morning.  All I can say is, "Quaid, start the reactor..."

Posted by
Contributor

Message 18 of 50

I have the same problem since early yesterday. Numerous attempts to reinstall didn't help.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 19 of 50

How can this concern be marked as "solved"?  It is not solved...when there is an actual solution, both Comcast and Norton should let customers know, like they should have when things first went out of whack.  You guys are partners, right?  That's why you provide their service to your subscribers.

Suggestion:  Customer Service

Posted by
New Poster

Message 20 of 50

I can't use anything but my iphone as I have no security on computers. So will be deducting for each day that we don't have internet from the next bill. And I've wasted

hours trying to resolve this.   

Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 50

Same reply I got from them was to wait 48 hours.

Comcast blamed Norton and Norton blamed Comcast. 

I think one of them had their entire subscription database hacked / ransomed.

Nobody that I know or have talked to has an active sub from Xfinity for Norton.

We will never get an expalnation nor any kind of compensation since it is free.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 22 of 50

JACOB!

Please unmark the SOLVED on this post. 

It is NOT SOLVED! Thousands of subscribers are

having the same issue.

Thank you.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 23 of 50
If Comcast/Norton claim they are just down temporarily why can't the two behemoths just activate affected customers temporarily?
Posted by
New Poster

Message 24 of 50

My Mac version was "cancelled" today dsnyder148. Comcast was no help. They advised to uninstall/reinstall, which didn't work. Was told no product was available because I cancelled, which I didn't do. Got into a chat with a Norton tech who remotely tried to reinstall, didn't work, same as me. Remotely uninstalled in a way I'm not savy enough to comprehend and then installed a 15 day trial version instead and wished me luck in that the "maintenence" that was the cause of the issue would not last long, but could. I'm secure, for now, but something is definately screwy with this whole situation.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 25 of 50
U had same issues on Saturday, 9/9. Was told 24-48 hours. I tried to activate again on 9/11 at 8pm. Still problem. Getting a loud obnoxious warning as well. This is extremely frustrating
Posted by
New Poster

Message 26 of 50
This is NOT solved
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 27 of 50

I agree.  I've had the problem since 9/10 and it's 9/12 and still not SOLVED.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 28 of 50

That's all you can do is call or online chat.   Maybe if we all nag them enough they will actually fix the problem.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 29 of 50

I can't get through on the Norton phone number either so I did an online chat with them.   I got the response below.   I still haven't gotton a callback and it's been 48 hours.   This so frustrating.   I hate being without virus protection so right now I'm limiting my PC use.

Bharath: I would like to inform you that, We are aware of this issue and we need to escalate this issue to concern team as we are receiving more number of contacts regarding this issue.
Bharath: I checked the PIN in our records and it shows as Disabled. Looks like there is a communication problem between Comcast and Norton server. We do not have access to enable the PIN as it is disabled. We need to escalate this to concern team and they would be able to enable the PIN with Comcast.
Bharath: What I can do is have one of our senior technician look at this and call you back. Although it does not always take this long, please allow 24 to 48 hours for the call back

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 30 of 50

Solved should mean that Norton virus protection is working again.   Solved should not mean that you tell everybody to call Norton (who doesn't fix it) and then wipe your hands of it.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 31 of 50

It seems the vast majority desire the "Solution" be removed and I agree - it will only be solved when the PIN's reactivated.  I have removed the solution marking.

I have been in contact with Norton via admins on the Norton Forums and it si in work as kellyr66 stated in his post referencing his CHAT with Norton.  As usual, Norton is not providing a timeframe beyond the 48 hours mentioned earlier.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 32 of 50

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet/Norton-Security-Suite-should-now-be-reacti...

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 33 of 50

My Norton Security Suite supplied by Comcast has been down for 4 days so far.  As of Tuesday 2 pm East Time zone, I am still down.  I can't believe Norton would allow all of us to be down for so many days.  I hope Comcast will consider giving it's customers a 2nd Anti-Virus option such as McAfee or Kaspersky in the future.  I hope Norton's customer approval ratings goes down because of this mess.  I have been in contact with both Comcast and Norton and they just say they know of the issue and are working on it.  The 24-48 hours they told me to resolve the issue will soon be passing 96 hours!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 34 of 50

DiscouragedUser wrote:

My Norton Security Suite supplied by Comcast has been down for 4 days so far.  As of Tuesday 2 pm East Time zone, I am still down.  I can't believe Norton would allow all of us to be down for so many days.  I hope Comcast will consider giving it's customers a 2nd Anti-Virus option such as McAfee or Kaspersky in the future.  I hope Norton's customer approval ratings goes down because of this mess.  I have been in contact with both Comcast and Norton and they just say they know of the issue and are working on it.  The 24-48 hours they told me to resolve the issue will soon be passing 96 hours!

-------------------------------

Clearly Norton cannot get its act together so i have my doubts about their technical saavy or abilities! If they cannot fix their "server problem" then how good is their software. Do they have good coders in their employ? Actually this problem goes back months. I had a similar problem earlier this year. I really agree that Comcast should provide another anti-virus option. Certainly McAfee would be preferred. Most assuradly it should NOT be Kaspersky. Do you really want to trust a Russian provider whose CEO trained with the KGB in their Hacking Department. Yeah, he probably knows more than those at Norton, but then do you really need another backdoor in your computer along with those already there mandated by our own government (yeah, I mean both Microsoft and Apple).

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 35 of 50

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-security-suite-service-canceled-your-service-has-been-...

The "fix" not working for me.  Getting the same old screens that say I'm cancelled.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 36 of 50

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Did anyone else wake up to "I've got you Babe" on their clock radio for three days in a row even though it's not Groundhog Day but feels like it?!?

Whoever is "working on it" either isn't working very hard or is in the wrong line of work.  Get Wally off the job, and put Dilbert on it!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 37 of 50

Just as an update to everyone posting over the past few days, I FINALLY had someone from Norton contact me on a secure channel (at least I hope it's secure, but I have my doubts).  They asked for my Comcast/Xfinity activation pin for Norton Security Suite.  Yes, all this after we were told that there was a solution.

Not sure what to make of it, since I gave someone at Comcast/Xfinity my activation pin on Sunday, and nothing really came of that.

So, no solution for me yet, but actually had someone from the two concerned parties contact me about it.

Keep up the noise gang.  We're all in this together.

Start the reactor!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 38 of 50

If you haven't already, there is a way to send your activation pin to Norton via a secure message if you have an account on their website (and you trust that it's secure).  I've already done this, but you can if you're up for it:  https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-security-suite-service-canceled-your-service-has-been-...

Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 39 of 50

Hi,

We are really sorry for all the trouble this has caused. We understand how concerning this must be and we apologise for all the hassle. We did have a fix initially that was posted on the Norton community but looks like the issue is still continuing. I request you all to please DM the PIN for your Norton from comcast. I will have it checked with the back end team and get back to you as soon as I have an update. 

Thanks

Anirban

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 40 of 50

From the Norton site:

Dave_Coleman30 ADMIN 3:58 pm NEW

Thanks to your (and other affected customer's) pin numbers, we believe we've found the problem and will run a batch process overnight to resolve the issue.  I expect by morning everything will be working as expected again.

We appreciate your patience.  
Dave

Hoping this works!

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 41 of 50

Yesterday I answered a Comcast questionaire that asked if I would recommend Norton SS to another user and then asked if I would be willing to accept another lesser known Security Suite in place of Norton. Kaspersky and a few others were mentioned.

Funny thing to pop up out of no where.

I think that whoever mentioned that Comcast and Norton might be in some sort of negotiation tangle could be right !

Where the PINs aren't correct the idea that the Comcast / Norton security database has been hacked is also a possibility.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 42 of 50

markdmoski wrote:

Yesterday I answered a Comcast questionaire that asked if I would recommend Norton SS to another user and then asked if I would be willing to accept another lesser known Security Suite in place of Norton. Kaspersky and a few others were mentioned.

Funny thing to pop up out of no where.

I think that whoever mentioned that Comcast and Norton might be in some sort of negotiation tangle could be right !

Where the PINs aren't correct the idea that the Comcast / Norton security database has been hacked is also a possibility.

They had better NOT offer Kaspersky! This is a Russian company headquartered in Moscow. The CEO is an ex-KGB guy was involved in their hacking department!!! I have enough backdoors into my computers mandated by Uncle Sam, I don't Putin having a backdoor into my computer. Think about it.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 43 of 50

I know it's early. I still have the problem. I'll try later. Very unhappy..

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 44 of 50

Just got on, and I'm magically not cancelled anymore.  About time.  Still, would have appreciated both Norton and Comcast keeping users in the loop from start to finish instead of upsetting and panicking countless users.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 45 of 50

Still not working. Subscription cancelled. Disgusting.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 46 of 50

Working at the moment.😀

Posted by
New Poster

Message 47 of 50

9/13/17  -  I uninstalled my trial version (the temporary fix) today and reinstalled through Xfinity and everything is working. Running a full scan now.

Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 48 of 50

Hi,

We are really sorry for all the trouble over the past few days. We have made changes on our end and have rectified the issue. The same should update on your end immediately. In case you are still getting 'subscription cancelled' notification, please DM me the PIN and I will manually verify the PIN and do the necessary.

Thanks

Anirban

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 49 of 50

Norton SS is back running for me. Reactivation took seconds.

Thanks to whoever took care of the PIN fix, but customer contact was very sketchy during the downtime on the part of both Norton and Comcast.

Now to see if an unrelated problem clears up - the sudden slowdown in my Internet access time.

My service was fine until Comcast recently asked me to contact them about my self-owned modem, took the MAC address of the device, and then nothing after being told I would receive a phone call.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 50 of 50

Problem does seem to be resolved.  Just downloaded Norton from Comcast (on two computers) and it activated without a hitch.