New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Norton Security Suite - Identity Safe

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 8

In the past couple of days, I have had 5 user names and passwords (some user names and some passwords) disapear from Norton's Identity Safe. 

<> No, I didn't edit them out, nor did I delete them.

<> No, I'm not a novice user. I know how the suite SHOULD work.

7 REPLIES
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 2 of 8

Hi Proud Vet and thank you for your service,

I understand you know how things should work, but I can not see your system, so please humor me while I ask the following questions as I need to understand exctly what you are seeing.

Let me see if I envision your situation correctly?

• You open your Vault (local Vault As you are using Identity Safe as part of NSS).
  • You select Vault is OPEN from the Norton Toolbar and then select Open Identity Safe
  • Your list of log-ins pops up and you now see blank spaces for either user names or passwords (8 dots) on some of your log-ins.
  • If that is what you are seeing, what happens when you open one of the log-ins missing info?  
  • Is the same info missing on that page? 
  • What happens if you select Edit? 
  • Is the info still missing? 
  • Have you tried to EDIT - putting the correct info into the missing spot and then Save and Close - does it repopulate on the log-in screen? 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 3 of 8

Thank you for your service as well.

• You open your Vault (local Vault As you are using Identity Safe as part of NSS).
    • Correct
  • You select Vault is OPEN from the Norton Toolbar and then select Open Identity Safe
    • Correct
  • Your list of log-ins pops up and you now see blank spaces for either user names or passwords (8 dots) on some of your log-ins.
    • Correct. 
  • If that is what you are seeing, what happens when you open one of the log-ins missing info? 
    • There are blanks for the missing user ID's and the dots become blank when I hit edit.
  • Is the same info missing on that page?
    • Yes
  • What happens if you select Edit?
    • Editing allows me to repopulate the missing info. Although I don't check daily, they appear to remain.
  • Is the info still missing?
    • Yes
  • Have you tried to EDIT - putting the correct info into the missing spot and then Save and Close - does it repopulate on the log-in screen?
    • Yes, as stated above
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the feedback.

I doubt it will help, but please go to Help on the main page and then select Get Support  let it run and see if it finds anything or corrects anything - it just might be able to fix the installation.

It sounds like your Identity Safe Vault may some how be corrupted and I will admit I have never seen the vault missing only parts of the log-in before.  Two ways I am aware of correcting it is to delete the existing vault and then recreate a new vault or do a remove and reinstall of the Norton Program (running the Norton Removal Tool after the uninstall). 

In either case please do a manual Export (backup) of your Vault using both the .dat and the .csv formats prior to doing anything else.

If you decide to go with either of these options, let me know if you need any help or guidance doing either.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 5 of 8

Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 8

Just an update....

Before doing anything, a Norton popup appeared saying that a problem had been detected. Before I could write the error code down, it began searching for a solution to the problem. Aparently, it found a solution, applied it and told me I had to restart the computer tp have it take affect.

I have no idea what the problem was or what the fix was. I can only hope it was to fix my disapearing user names and passwords in the security suite. 

I have been checking daily and nothing appears to be missing. I will advise if it happens again.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 7 of 8

Please see the following related announcement:

https://community.norton.com/en/comment/7412061#comment-7412061

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 8 of 8

Thanks. I wonder if my issue was one of the other "minor" fixes, hopefully so. Time will tell.