members

online now

discussions

Norton Security Activation

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 1 of 19

Lately, a message box pops up when I start my computer asking to "activate" Norton Security Suite, when clicked OK it lead to some kind of software purchase.  I have been using Comcast internet for almost 10 years and download/activated Norton right away as part of the free package. I've never seen this message before being requested to process "Activation" again.  This happened only about 3 weeks ago.

It is suspicious that a purchase is required, so I just closed out from the process, not sure if it is a cyber trap/scam.  I have not received any email from Comcast/Xfinity regarding any activation requirement. I need more information and clarification if this "activation" request is authentic and necessary.  Any feedback is appreciated.

18 REPLIES
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 19
Solution

Info for customers receiving cautions that Norton is inactive/cancelled

If you receive a message on your system indicating that your 'service has been cancelled' from Norton Security Suite, this means that your subscription was cancelled due to cancelling your Comcast High Speed Internet subscription.  If you did not cancel your Comcast/Xfinity internet subscription and received this message, then your account was erroniously reported as cancelled.

You can contact Norton support for NSS at Norton.com/comcast, start a chat support session, report the issue.  Please use the CHAT option on the right hand side of the following link.

http://us.norton.com/support/comcast.jsp?pvid=nsce_1&layout=Comcast&product=Norton

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 3 of 19

Hi gene88,

Just in case you desire to bookmark the info above, it is located here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Info-for-customers-receiving-cautions-that-Nort...

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 4 of 19

Follwed recommendation and contacted live chat and problem now solved.  Thank You!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 5 of 19

I recieved the same notification and followed the link on the message for support.  It led me a support phone number for a company called "SolidTech".  They claimed a virus was likely responsible and offered to remote in and "tune-up" my computer, of course this was a fee based one-year of service. 

I'm embarrassed to say I fell for what appears to be a scam since it appeared they were associated with Norton.  After they completed the "tune-up" (I haven't noticed any improvement) they were still unable to get rid of the Norton messaged and advised I go to the Norton support site (same site as posted above) for assistance.   Norton quickly and easily fixed the issue. 

What is unclear to me is why the Norton error message appeared in the first place. 

Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 6 of 19

Please read the details provided in the link posted above. That's the exact cause of the problem you faced with using Norton.

Harry

Norton Support

Posted by
Visitor

Message 7 of 19

Harry - Yes I see the two options for receiving the Norton Activation error message were;

1) The Norton subscription was cancelled due to cancelling my Comcast High Speed Internet subscription 

-or-

2) If I did not cancel my Comcast/Xfinity internet subscription and received this message, then my account was erroneously reported as cancelled.

Since I did not cancel my Comcast Internet subscription, then somehow my account was "erroneously" cancelled.  My question stands, how did my account get erroneously canceled?

Secondly - When I called Comcast for help, why did the Comcast Norton support line folks instruct me to call Solid Tech (www.solidtechies.com) for assistance, who in turn goaded me into paying hundreds of dollars for remoting into my PC to attempt fixing the problem, which they ended up not fixing.  Solid Tech's final solution was to have me launch the online chat directly with Norton to reactivate my subscription.  Seems shady to me. 

Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 8 of 19

Activation from Norton via Comcast is a complex process which includes sync through databases at both end - one which have the PIN/computer details and other have the customer details who uses comcast broadband. The databases constantly updated upon changes like when a new customer adds subscription, existing customer unsubscribes etc; which sometimes causes error with syncing the details and show up an active subscription as cancelled. Whenever such problem happens, you just need to confirm your subscription and get it re-activated.

If it's Comcast Support who directed you to a 3rd party, you have to check it further with Comcast Support team. We're not sure whom you called for assistance here, but I can assure you that we are not at all affliated with Solid Techies and we won't be directing customers to any 3rd party services. Norton Support is free for the customers of comcast & you need not have to pay for it.

Harry

Norton Support

Posted by
Visitor

Message 9 of 19

I just had this problem and the soultion was I have to many computer using it. I had to remove a few old ones from the lic to get it to work

NortonSupport wrote:

Activation from Norton via Comcast is a complex process which includes sync through databases at both end - one which have the PIN/computer details and other have the customer details who uses comcast broadband. The databases constantly updated upon changes like when a new customer adds subscription, existing customer unsubscribes etc; which sometimes causes error with syncing the details and show up an active subscription as cancelled. Whenever such problem happens, you just need to confirm your subscription and get it re-activated.

If it's Comcast Support who directed you to a 3rd party, you have to check it further with Comcast Support team. We're not sure whom you called for assistance here, but I can assure you that we are not at all affliated with Solid Techies and we won't be directing customers to any 3rd party services. Norton Support is free for the customers of comcast & you need not have to pay for it.

Harry

Norton Support

Posted by
Visitor

Message 10 of 19

We also received the cancellation notice from norton (expired subscription??) and had to download and reinstall the software.  However, norton would not activate.  Called Comcast and was given an 866-341-5069 number by the tech.  Supposedly, the number was to Norton.  Do NOT call that number as it is a 3rd party called SolidTech who tried to charge $199 to fix the "problem". 

LIve chat with comcast the next day who gave an 877-272-7149 number that WAS to Norton Support.  All they had to do was reactivate our PIN for the software. Problem fixed and software activated. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 11 of 19

Thank You, Thank You.... I spent 4 hours today holding for Comcast. After trying to chat with them for 2 weeks.  It's no longer live chat and I was never home when they replied. Chat told me to call the comcast support number.  Comcast support wanted me to call a number for Norton, but I didn't want to pay for them to fix it.  I wish they would make this link easier to find!  

Posted by
Visitor

Message 12 of 19

I had a similar problem and I called Comcast for help.  I was given by the Comcast representative a telephone number for what was supposed to be Norton.  It turned out to be for a software company called White Sky which tried to sell me a software protection agreement for $199.00 with all sorts of scare tactics.  There appears to possibly be some tie in between the Comcast representive and this company. There was a clear misrepresentation by the Comcast rep that the number he gave me was a special number used by Comcast customers for Norton.  Beware!!

MK

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 13 of 19

Hi Mikky,

Thanks for the info.  Itcertainly sounds like the rep was trying to up sell you.

When experiencing problems with Norton Security Suite it is best to contact Norton Support for assistance.  The price is right also - FREE!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 14 of 19

I have tried to activate the free NSS from Comcast many times on Windows 10, always leading to a deadend alley while trying to activate. I finally eliminated everything pertaining to Norton on my computer, downloaded it from Comcast again, and tried activation again. Same deadend alley. It keeps wanting extra $$ to activate.

Does anyone know why the free NSS from Xfinity activates OK on XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8, but won't allow activation on Windows 10 without extra $$?

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 15 of 19

Hi angryinatlanta,

Uninstall NSS and run the Norton Removal Tool

Go to C:/Program Data and delete all files with Norton in the name?

Then attempt an install of NSS from the Comcast download page and see if it activates automatically.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 16 of 19

Were you able to try the suggestion provided by ? Let me know if you need further help with using Norton Security Suite.

Harry

Norton Support

Posted by
Visitor

Message 17 of 19

I downloaded Windows 10 to brand new computer. Downloaded Norton Security Suite. NSS would not activate. I contacted Norton and they said I had to have Internet Explorer (or Edge) as my default browser. Not only did I have to have it as my default browser but I had to uninstall Google Chrome and make IE my default. Then NSS was able to activate and I reinstalled Google Chrome. 

Hope this helps anyone having the same problem.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 18 of 19

After banging my head against the wall trying to activate Norton Security Suite I have found an idiotically simple solution.  My problem was that i had reached the max number of seats for my subscription.  The max is 7.  When I reinstalled Windows 10 to clear some other issues, Norton would hang on activation.  Sometimes it would pop a window with hyperlinks pointing to somewhere I could cancel an active seat and make room for my current activation.  But the links NEVER WORKED.  This is a clue.   

Then, wouldn't you know it, i found this link: <https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-suite/current/solutions/v113839121_EndUserProfil...

"Message: "Cannot connect to the Norton server" appears on my Norton product

You see the message: "Unexpected Browser error or Cannot connect to the Norton server" when you activate your Norton product. To resolve this issue, SET A DEFAULT WEB BROWSER on your Windows 10 computer. On other versions of Windows, change your default web browser."

When Norton trys to activate, it's looks for a web browser to open that will send you to their website to enter your PIN and modify your activation count.  Without a browser set to default, Norton just hangs and the links wont open.

Go to Start>Settings>Systems> Default Apps

If Web Browser is blank then boom that's your issue.  Give Windows a default browser and try installing Norton again.  You may need to use the removal tool and restart.  

Norton Security Suite installer is just plain stupid.  I ardently hope the developers weren't as lax across the board as they were when they wrote the install app.  

If this works for you please share it.  I've seen a ton of threads on this exact issue.  I assume this works on all versions of Windows but I have not verified.  I feel like a goddam hero.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 19 of 19

Moved to Customer Service Board as this comment has nothing to do with Norton Activation