Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Norton Back-up just "magically" turned on. Where is it saving my backup?

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 4

My files just "magically" started showing up with the green icon that I believe indicates that Norton is backing them up.  Where are they backed up?  I tried to login to Norton Backup site but don't have an account there?   I see that there appears to be a charge for this service and wonder how it is getting paid (or if I will end up with some bill eventually)?   I have read several norton forums about the confusion between the regular norton product and the comcast norton product.  Thanks for your help.

3 REPLIES
Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 2 of 4

The online backup is available only with retail Norton products. For Norton Security Suite from Comcast, you will be able to backup to only localdrives, external drives/USD and CD/DVD. Please refer to the following support article to find out the exact backup location configured on your computer:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v6958527_ns_backup_en_us?

By default, it should be one of your internal drives. If you would like to disable the backup, you can go to Settings and uncheck Backup under Quick Controls. Norton Security Suite indicates the backup status of a file by adding the status overlay to the file's icon

The status overlays that appears are:

• Green icon with a check mark

Indicates that the file has been backed up

This icon changes to blue icon with arrows if you modify the file.

• Blue icon with arrows

Indicates that the file has not been backed up

This icon changes to green when Norton automatically backs up the file during idle time.

• Gray icon with a slash mark

Indicates that the file has been excluded from backup

Norton displays a disabled backup status on a file when you exclude the file from any of the backup sets.

You can also disable the backup overlay from Quick Controls. Hope this helps.

Harry

Norton Support

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 3 of 4

Local and USB drives are often vulnerable to encryption by Ransonware, rendering your backup useless.  Is there an upgrade available to the Comcast NSS to enable cloud backup?  Or is there another cloud backup option from Comcast?

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 4 of 4

rjstephan wrote:

Local and USB drives are often vulnerable to encryption by Ransonware, rendering your backup useless.  Is there an upgrade available to the Comcast NSS to enable cloud backup?  Or is there another cloud backup option from Comcast

No to both questions.  Where is it saving it?  Perhaps to your Local C Drive?

There are backup programs available in most of the latest Windows Programs and there are some free backup programs that are available via a Google search.  Different users have different opinions - I use Marcium Reflect free.  It all depends on what you are looking for in a backup - for example, the Comcast Norton Backup does not create an mage of your entire hard drive - it only backs up your personal files/pictures.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon