Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Master Installer doesn't install / Can't find activation PIN.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 10

Forgive the long post but I've been trying for the last 3 days now, reading advice, trying different methods, going through every step with a fine-toothed comb, convincing myself I'm just doing things wrong.
I just went back to Windows 7 on an aging Dell Inspiron 1545 because I hated Windows 10, but in turn, have to reinstall everything, starting with this Norton software.

First, I signed into my Xfinity account, went under Constant Guard, chose Norton Security Suite for Windows, which downloaded the xfinity-master-installer_1.0.0.11.exe application.
I opened it, unchecked the Xfinity toolbar (no thanks) and left Norton Security Suite checked, and clicked NEXT.
Next step is to click GET IT NOW. When I do so, the installer app closes and nothing happens, even after extensive waiting and opening Task Scheduler to be sure.
That means I never get the chance to enter any info to verify myself and there's nothing new in the programs.
I tried with Microsoft Edge (when running Win 10), Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome with the same end.
I tried the apps 'xfinity-master-installer_1.0.0.11.exe' and ' xfinitymasterinstaller_constantguard.exe' with the same non-result. I also deleted the installer and tried downloading a new one. And later, another.

Another method I tried was a direct installation file provided by one of your experts on another thread for someone else's similar (but not similar enough) issue, COMCAST_NSS_22.5.2.exe.

This one installed but... It wants a PIN, which, based on the extensive research that I put in, it is supposed to be titled 'Norton Security_PIN.txt' and should be located in a folder marked Symantec which, in Windows 7 & Vista, should be in the My Documents folder (I remember it used to be there in my old setup before the Windows 10 fiasco). It isn't there and neither is any Norton/Symantec related folder. All I have located are 2 folders marked Symantec Shared (one located in Crogram Files\Common Files , and the other in Crogram Files (x86)\Common Files. 

Otherwise I have files in a folder marked Norton which is also located in Program Files (x86).
Is the pin located somewhere else now? Is it called something else? I searched through every last .txt file in those folders to see if it was, but no. Do I really just keep getting a bad download or failed installation over and over again? I doubt it, but despite that, I have used Norton Removal Tool and uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I counted. I don't remember having to jump through so many confusing hoops for this in the past. It's not a free service if you have to do this much work for it. Not happy at all.

9 REPLIES
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 2 of 10

Hi Billinois78,

Thanks for all the details of your adventure and the results of each effort.

Your PIN number is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

In Windows 10/8/7/Vista: C:\Users\Users Name\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt
In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

You can also left click on the Start Button and Search for Norton Security_PIN .txt - it should pop up at the top of the search list.

I guess you located the www.norton.com\latestnss link for the download that was given in other posts.  This downloads NSS, but needs to have LiveUpdate run (rebooting if requested) to bring it up to the current version 22.5.5.15.

Please let us know how things go.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 10

Hi and thanks for the reply. 

I already searched those paths you provided when reading your help in other people's posts, but the My Documents folder is empty and the search doesn't find it. I'm sure plenty of people are having no problem, so I wonder if the Windows 10 upgrade damaged some pc components. I know it happened to other people.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 4 of 10

Another sort of round about way to locate your PIN is to go the following URL:L

http://constantguard.comcast.net/products-and-services/norton-security-suite/?cid=NET_33_601

Select thelink for MAC, and you should end up here:

http://constantguard.comcast.net/products-and-services/norton-internet-security/

Clicking on the Get Norton Internet Security shojdl produce a page that shows you a PIN for MAC - the PIN for MAC is the same as the PIN for a Windows PC - so that shold be your PIN to enable your NSS.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 10

Update: I used a Windows 7 reinstallation disc and restarted from scratch. It must've taken to it this time because I followed the steps and everything installed properly. Norton asked for the name of my device, I scratched my head for a couple of minutes (I thought it was supposed to ask for a PIN or for an account name and email), then entered Bill-PC. I was then told to deactivate a previous device (it listed Bill-PC twice so I deactivated the older one). The problem seems to be solved and I did a successful scan.

However - the My Documents folder is still empty. 

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 6 of 10

First of all, glad yu got some of it sorted.  The only place I can find my "Device Name" in NSS is by going to Help > About from the main page of NSS.  My ABOUT states the Device Name is "Not Available".  If I remember correctly, the Device Name was never included in ABOUT until a fairly recent update.  I last installed my NSS in July 2015 which I know  was before the ABOUT format changed. 

You expected to be asked for a PIN  - did you use the Link I suggested in my revious post or did you use the "master Installer?  The master installer should have activated without asking for the PIN.

The WIN 7 reinstallation may have picked up your previous installation information of NSS and activated it prior to asking for your Device Name. 

Is it possible you lost al of your "My Documents" while going back anfd forth from Win 7 to Win 10 and back to WIN 7.  Did you have the system backed up prior tot he start of all the upgrades?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 10

Interesting. Mine also says Not Available under Device Name. 

To download/install, I went in through the front door and used the Master Installer.  

As far as the My Documents folder goes, I should have clarified. I have everything backed up on an external hard drive and hadn't transferred things back yet, so I'm not missing old files.

When I said it was empty, I was referring to there being no Symantec or Norton folder located there after installation. I've read that there should be under C:\Users\User Name\Documents, but maybe that was on older versions, or I simply misunderstood what I read. Either way, it's working. Thanks for the info.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 8 of 10

Thanks for the feedback Bill.  Glad you got everything installed and working.

My PIN is shown in  Windows7 at:

C:\Users\Users Name\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

Since you also do not have the Device Name, it may be due to NSS not using a NortonAccount and Managment as the retail versions of Norton do.  I have a retail Norton product on another WIN 7 desktop and it shows the Device Name.

BTW, did you run LiveUpdate until it eflected version 22.5.5.15 and LiveUpdate responded, "no updates found"?

Bottom line is you are up and running.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 10

Yeah, I don't know why mine isn't located there. I also went to Start Menu > Run > typed in "Symantec" but Windows can't find it. I don't know if maybe Win 7 set it as a hidden folder where it can run the programs without me accessing its individual files. If they did, though, they did a great job of it because I didn't even find it by adjusting the My Documents folder settings (Documents>Tools>Folder Options>View tab) to show hidden folders, files and drives.

I ran Live Update and no new updates are found. 

I'm not really all that worried about it now because the program itself works and if I have to remove components in the future, I can do it with Norton Removal Tool.

Posted by
New Poster
Message 10 of 10

Thanks for that.  I too was having issues with Norton asking for a PIN and being unable to find the Symantec folder (always had Windows 10, only installed Norton from Comcast).  By clicking on the link and copying the PIN there it sucessfully activated. 

Thank you.