members

online now

discussions

Is "Am I Botted" working?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 1 of 10 (940 Views)

Is "Am I Botted" working?

Before Jan 11, whenever I visited "https://amibotted.comcast.net/", I'd either get the "all clear" page or, much less often, info about a bot detection. Since Jan 11 when I try to visit that URL, I am redirected to

"https://constantguard.xfinity.com/products-and-services/bot-detection-and-removal/",

the "Bot Detection and Removal" page, with this note in a text box under "BOT DETECTION STATUS":

XFINITY Internet Security is unable to report on your infection status.
This scanner is only available to XFINITY Internet customers logged in at home.
Please connect this device to XFINITY Internet at your home and try again.

But I am "logged in at home" and connected (via Ethernet) to my Comcast Internet connection.

I have tried to report this to Comcast Security, but they have been . . . well, they have been about as helpful as you would expect Comcast reps to be.

Is AmIBotted not working? Am I doing something wrong?

"Amibotted.comcast.net" is referenced on "https://constantguard.xfinity.com/" under "Security Tools & Services / Bot Detection and Removal / Scan your system for bots".

9 REPLIES
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 2 of 10 (931 Views)

Re: Is "Am I Botted" working?

Hmmm. FWIW, this is what I see at your first link Bruce;

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 3 of 10 (917 Views)

EG wrote: Hmmm. FWIW, this is what I see at your first link Bruce; ...

Thanks for checking EG.  Smiley Wink   

Unfortunately it looks like I'll need to continue to bang my head against the CSA brick wall.  

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 4 of 10 (910 Views)

No prob ! This was with the latest Google Chrome browser BTW.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Edited on
‎01-30-2017 08:33 AM

Security Expert

Message 5 of 10 (885 Views)

[ Edited ]

BruceW,

I also checked all three of your links in IE 11 (WIN 10) and all three came up green as EG posted.

I also checked all three in FF 51.0.1with the same results.

Just for grins I clicked the Apple version (altough I am on a PC) on your third link and did in fact get the information you received.

Of course you have cleared your cache and temp files. 

<EDIT>  Are you logged into Comcast on your Primary Account?  I have seen that affect the download of NSS in the past.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 6 of 10 (868 Views)

USAF_E-8_RET wrote: ... Just for grins I clicked the Apple version (altough I am on a PC) on your third link and did in fact get the information you received. ...

Odd. I wonder why that happens. Here, of course, both links return the "try again from home" message.

... Of course you have cleared your cache and temp files. ...

Yep. I should have said before: I checked this in Edge, IE11, Firefox, and Chrome on Win 10, and in Firefox and Chrome on Win XP. Also spoofed my router's MAC to force a new public IP, but still got the same result.

... Are you logged into Comcast on your Primary Account? ...

Logged out, or logged with the Primary or any of the Secondaries produces the same "try again from home" result. But thanks for the info and suggestions.

I called CSA again a few minutes ago. They say "some customers" are having the same problem and they are still working the trouble ticket I opened on Jan 17. So maybe someday . . .

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 7 of 10 (846 Views)

BruceW (and others) - thank you for your post!

Earlier this year we merged our Am I Botted webpage into the Constant Guard's Bot Detection and Removal page so that our customers could get bot detection information and remediation tools all in one place.  We have also begun redirecting all users automatically from the legacy site onto the new merged page.

Our bot detection system works by checking the IP sent to the page against an updated list of potential botted IP's.  This IP is from the network that the user is on and not the specific IP address of their computer.  With the new page, we've also updated our IP checks to prevent some false-positives that some users experienced, particularly on wi-fi networks.

If you are connected to the Xfinity Residential Internet network from home via ethernet, it could be that your IP was erroneously reported as off-network by our system. If you still get the off-network message, please let me know what your IP address is by visiting http://www.whatsmyip.org/.  You can send this to me via direct message.  I'll take a look and see why this IP address is getting mislabeled.

Thanks!

-Mike

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Edited on
‎01-31-2017 01:58 PM

Gold Problem Solver

Message 8 of 10 (838 Views)

[ Edited ]

ComcastMikeH wrote: ... please let me know what your IP address is by visiting http://www.whatsmyip.org/.  You can send this to me via direct message.  I'll take a look and see why this IP address is getting mislabeled.

Message sent. Thanks much!

Edit: Private Message NOT sent. When I click Send, the PM "Send to" box clears, and the following message appears: "One or more of these members do not have private messages enabled. Their names have been removed from the Send to list."

CAN'T COMCAST DO ANYTHING RIGHT???!!!

Posting the PM here:

ComcastMikeH wrote:

... If you are connected to the Xfinity Residential Internet network from home via ethernet ...

I  am.

... If you still get the off-network message ...

I do. The link on https://constantguard.xfinity.com/ under "Security Tools & Services / Bot Detection and Removal / Scan your system for bots" returns the following under "BOT DETECTION STATUS":

XFINITY Internet Security is unable to report on your infection status.

This scanner is only available to XFINITY Internet customers logged in at home.

Please connect this device to XFINITY Internet at your home and try again.

... please let me know what your IP address is by visiting http://www.whatsmyip.org/.  You can send this to me via direct message.  I'll take a look and see why this IP address is getting mislabeled.

My public IP is 174.55.22.60. FWIW the trouble ticket I opened with CSA on 1-17 was CR670834350.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 9 of 10 (808 Views)

That's strange.  I have private messaging enabled and I did receive your message directly.

Thanks for providing the additional information.  That IP address is showing up as not on the residential network, I'll look further into why that is.   I did manually check it against our bot service and it came up clean though.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Edited on
‎03-08-2017 12:46 PM

Gold Problem Solver

Message 10 of 10 (456 Views)

[ Edited ]

As of this morning I have a new IP (73.187.0.***), and the text box under "BOT DETECTION STATUS" on "https://constantguard.xfinity.com/products-and-services/bot-detection-and-removal/" says:

Good news!

XFINITY Internet Security has not detected any bot activity coming from the devices on your home network.

Case closed, I guess.

----------------------------------------------

ETA: Case not entirely closed. https://constantguard.xfinity.com/products-and-services/bot-detection-and-removal/ is flaky. When I load the page, I usually get "Good News!", but I still sometimes get the "unable to report" message instead. Frustrating.