New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Fake Comcast/xfinity calls

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 1 of 31

I got a call from this number today: 972-252-3078. 

A woman claimed to work for Comcast/Xfinity and knew my name. She asked me what I thought of the service, what I used it for, and who uses it. She also told me that I use a certain Internet Package (but I couldn't really hear her so I didn't know if she actually knew which service I used). And I asked her again why she was calling and she said she knew of promotional options in my area that she wanted to inform me about. I told her I wasn't interested. And she finished the call saying, "If you have any questions please call 1-800-xfinity." 

I called Comcast Security Assurance today to ask about this number and they said they're not associated with this number at all and it's probably a scam. 

I'm freaked out that she knew my name, number, and my service provider; but since I didn't give any other personal information or access to my computer at all so I hope there are no issues...

Has anyone else gotten a phone call from this number?

30 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2 of 31

I'm glad you posted this, yellowow. I received the same call just now. Since we have Comcast for our internet service, it wasn't strange to get a call from their sales people wanting to tell us about new offers recently made available. I was at work and it went to my voicemail. The woman spoke in a calm, friendly voice, with the sounds of a calling center in the background. This is what she said:

"This message is for [MY ACTUAL FULL NAME]. This is Kim Dorsey with Comcast. We are calling today because we have just released some new pricing and promotions. We want to go ahead and go over your account with you to make sure you are getting the best deal Comcast has to offer. Please call me back at 855-219-6889 to learn more, and we look forward to serving you."

That was the message. Except...they are not calling to discuss new pricing and promotions. In fact, they aren't even calling from Comcast. The number they provided only works for a very short period of time; long enough to connect with a few poor, gullible souls and convince them to release enough personal information to commmit fraud. Somehow, they have just enough personal information to make their ploy believable. I'm certain they aren't limiting their calls to Comcast customers. Beware, folks!

Incidentally, I called Comcast to report the call. The representative I spoke with said he would pass along the information to a supervisor, but to be 100% honest, I could tell he didn't call at all.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 3 of 31

I received a call from this number.  I saw other postings from other web sites claiming that this is a scan.  I tried calling this number back and I got a voice mail stating "The person you are trying to reach is unavailable, please leave a message."

I have added this phone number to my list of "blocked" callers.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 4 of 31

I am furious about this! I have been receiving the same calls... I called Xfinity and they told me to call the 'Do Not Call' registry number. I explained to him that I am not calling for myself, that I can easily block the number and that I was calling on behalf of all Comcast customers to see what they are doing about some stange company specifically targeting their customers. He put me on hold again and then he transfered me to a credit center that is not even part of Comcast! The credit lady then transfered me back to the automated system.... UGH! I would think that Comcast would be all over protecting their customers and impersonating them but I guess no low level employee has the training or ability to contact anyone who can actually help... Very frustrating.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 5 of 31

This number has been calling me and I kept missing the calls, I found this forum about it and finally was able to answer their call today. I asked the guy if he knew that this number is online as a scam. He told me it is not online as a scam and that it it not a scam. When I told him that a comcast customer had spoken with comcast security assurance and they said they are not associated with this number he got very angry and told me again that it is not a scam and that he would be willing to look up the number for comcast security assurance and and have a 3 way call with me on the phone to prove it. Then proceeded to ask me to get the number and call. I asked him why he can't do it if he works for Comcast and he started to yell and then said "Fine! That's okay Ma'am! You are just missing out on all the deals you could have gotten!" I hung up and he called back. When I said hello he hung up. Oh I'm sure that's the way a Comcast associate would act if you asked them about a scam.....idiots!

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 6 of 31

I have gotten many such calls from 972-252-3078.  A good website to research questionable calls like these, whether they come from an 800 area code or not, is:  800notes.com 

It is a user-posted compilation of scam calls and information on what the caller said, if a message was left, etc.  Just Google the incoming phone number in the format XXX-XXX-XXXX (X's are digits) and usually, the 800notes.com listing for that number is first on Google's list that is returned.

I have now blocked 972-252-3078 with my $40 Sentry blocking device (widely available on the internet).

Posted by
New Poster

Message 7 of 31

I have just received a call from this number. Yes, I do have comcast internet. His name was, and I kid you not, "Bruce Wayne". He also stated that he has some promotional offers to try to reduce my internet costs. I told him "no thank you" and hung up. It just didn't sound legit and it didn't come from a comcast number. Comcast needs to stop selling our personal information. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 8 of 31

Have been receiving calls from 972-252-3078 for 2 years, since July 2013.
Have contacted Comcast Customer Service on more than one occasion regarding these calls.
Have been told more than once that this is not a legitimate Comcast call.
Other than blocking the number via our telephone provider, it appears there is not much that can be done.
Our phone number is listed on both the State of New Mexico Do Not Call List as well as the Federal Do Not Call List.

Posted by
New Poster
Message 9 of 31

I have got 2 calls from this # in the past couple weeks.  I answered the first time and it was a lady claiming to be from Comcast and offering me free Xfinity. 
I said I'm not interested, simply b/c I didn't feel like going through the hassle at the moment.  She just kinda accepted it.  It was definitely not a normal Comcast call.  And yeah, kinda scary they know my info.  a week later (today) I got another call from the same #. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 10 of 31

I just received a call from this number and the person had my address as well.  That is quite a bit of information for Comcast to sell.  The guy Gio put his supervisor on the line and she was much more polished than he was.  I am pretty sure it is a scam of some kind, but I asked them what their game was and they of course wouldn't give it up.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 11 of 31

I just got a call from this same number. Coincidentally I have a comcast installation appointment today, but I didn't answer. Thank you so much for posting this!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 12 of 31

Actually got another call today, same number reps name was Oscar Gomez. Says he had me listed for a cancellation. I informed him I have an installment for Saturday. He "checked the system" and saw there was an error and disconnected the call. IDK whats going on but be careful with this type of stuff..

Posted by
New Poster

Message 13 of 31

I got a call today and I knew right away this is a scam... problem is, most users out there do not know and end up falling for their scam.

QUESTION IS, how to these people get our names and KNOW that we have Comcast service and how do they know my personal phone number??? Do they have an insider providing them this info at Comcast??

Posted by
New Poster

Message 14 of 31

Okay, I'm freaked out because I *did* fall for this scam. The person calling knew exactly which plan I had and how much I was paying (and of course, the account is linked to that phone number), my comcast email, and the increase in price would have been totally reasonable. (Hah, I guess that should have been the giveaway that it was a scam...)

However, I don't remember them asking for any credit card information or anything, just said that whatever charges I had would be added to my bill. I'm worried about whatever else they might have now, though.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 15 of 31
I have been receiving calls from this number for several weeks now but have never answered the call because I didn't recognize the number. Glad I finally decided to look it up & found this....Thank you for posting everybody. I'll continue to ignore the calls.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 16 of 31

I'm actually trying to figure out what their angle is. They called and wanted to upgrade me but didn't really ask me for any information other than what they already had. (My phone number and address.) And I called him out on it being a scam and that I had looked it up and called Comcast and that they had verified that it was a scam and that I had added extra security to my account so that no one can access it or make changes to it. He denied it and then tried to get off the phone in a hurry.

It's obviously a scam but like I say I can't figure out what their angle is because like I say they didn't ask for CC, bank numbers, or any information like that... ??

Posted by
New Poster

Message 17 of 31
I got a phone call from the same number 972-252-3078. Same case, it was a woman talking about a promotion from Comcast. She wanted to know if we had a tv and what kind of usage we were giving to our internet services. I told her we don't have a tv. Then she said we could watch HBO on Internet and she had a few promotions. She said that she would look into it. She made me wait on the phone for 3 to 5 min. Then a man took the phone, he thought j was a teenager and started will terrible dirty talk. I thought it's probably one of those sexual predators. I kept on the phone because I just wanted to see where would he go with this. I hope they trap these really sick people!!
Posted by
New Poster

Message 18 of 31

How long must kind of BS go on before COMCAST goes after them for impersonation?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 19 of 31

Hi all, I got a call from the same number, 972-252-3078. Straight away I was pretty sure it was fraud just from the mumbling, semi incoherent 'agent' on the other end. He just sounded 'wrong', and when I asked a couple of questions, he hung up on me. I called the line back and it rang out. I brought it to Comcast's attention, and put it in my phone as 'Comcast Fraud'. I hope they call back, I will bring them on a merry ride of misinformation. Actually kinda looking forward to it. 

Be safe out there people, sadly, always assume a call is fraud until you are completely sure it is not.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 20 of 31

I been getting calls to my cell from this number too.. glad I found out it was a fake and know that I likely will now never answer, if I do I might just put them on a wild goose chase just to enjoy some  popcorn with it. But I don't think comcast is going to bother with this as another will just take thier place

Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 31
Posted by
New Poster

Message 22 of 31

The problem is, I called Comcast about this, and they confirmed it is a fraudulent scam.

That's the issue for me, with this response. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 23 of 31
Posted by
New Poster

Message 24 of 31
Posted by
New Poster

Message 25 of 31

Just got a call from 972-252-3078 as well.  I didn't answer, they left no message.  I added that # as "Phishing Scam" to my contacts so when they call back I can mess with them.  https://youtu.be/hllDWSbuDsQ

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 26 of 31
I've had Comcast for longer than I care to say and whilst they've angered me greatly from time to time (unable to fix my service in a timely manner, missing appointments, so on) they have never sold info and if I had to guess, they ain't starting now.

Not sure what they could do about this situation: but after thinking a bit, I have an idea that =WE= could do!

When you get the original call, be all excited. "Oh? Good! I was going to contact Comcast shortly anyway: I want to upgrade my service. While I'm at it, I'd like to give you  another credit card. Can you handle that on the phone?" (If they say "no" -- well, that won't happen!)

At that point, start inquiring about their service plans. (LOL they have quite a few.) Ask about options: make sure you keep inquiring about the most expensive... When you're done with "internet", move onto Cable TV, etc etc etc. See how long you can drag this out: make them waste the HECK out of their time! Every extra 15 mins gets you a point Smiley Wink At the end, oblige them with your (false) name and (equally made-up) new credit card. When they say "Must be something wrong, that card doesn't work" reply "Fancy that! Neither did your BS scam. FOAD and have a nice day!" Hang up, grin, one for the good guys

Obviously only do this if a) you have time to spare and b) you're somewhat of a devil, like moi! 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 27 of 31

I received a call today from a local number from a lady stating she was with Comcast Xfinity and had a new promotion going on that isn't available online so she's calling the customers eligible for the 'upgrade'.

She asked to confirm she was speaking with [MY FULL NAME], I said yes and she told me the exact internet package I used and asked about my data usage. She asked what exactly I do on the internet, how many devices are on it and if other people in my household use it, if so, about how many. I told her I use it for Netflix, Hulu, streaming YouTube, downloading and playing online video games. I explained all of our devices and around how many are on the WiFi at all times. We're always streaming/downloading something of some sort.

She then asked for me to confirm my Comcast service address and phone number on file. I gave it to her and she said perfect, she then said this plan would be great for me, for only $5 a month extra for the first 12 months I would have access to 8 HBO channels, with limited cable. She said they would send out a self-installation box. 

(At this point, I had been concerned it was a fraudulent call but I was waiting for her to ask for my SSN or any Credit Card details.)

I told her I would take the package, she said "Great, now I'm going to go over the package and stop me whenever you want if you have any questions or concern." She went on and on, explaining the package details... step by step. Finally, near the end, she told me I would be charged on my next bill for the $5 and they would send out a self-installation kit which I can do myself or I could request a Comcast technician to install it for a one time fee of $50. I told her I would take the self-installation kit, that would be fine. She then said Thank You for being a valued customer, we believe you will not be unsatisfied with this package and we offer a 30-day service money back guarantee. If I had any questions please contact us at 1-800COMCAST. I said "Yes Ma'am, you too! Have a nice day." Suddenly, I heard a chuckle in her voice holding back from laughter when I said "Yes Ma'am.". In the voice still sounding like it's holding back from laughing, she said "have a nice day, bye-bye." (I always say Yes Sir/No Sir and Yes Ma'am/No Ma'am as a nice gesture.)

After the call I was a bit worried, Google'd it and the first thing I found was this article. Everyone going through the SAME exact situation I had just faced, worried it was a fraudulent call. Although I gave NO SSN information, NO Credit Card information. I only provided my service address and phone number. I was worried that I maybe gave just enough little information for them to get even MORE information if they were to call Comcast as me and see what details they can get.

I then called Comcast, spoke to an actual representative and explained the situation.She told me there is a Comcast Xfinity sales team that calls customers to see if they want to upgrade their package.I asked if anything's different in my account which she then looked and told me there was just a change added for an HBO package which was only $5, my current balance due is still the exact same and wouldn't be changed until my next billing date. She told me she sees where there's a self-installation box requested to be shipped to me for the new service. I told her how the lady laughed when I said 'Yes Ma'am'. She said she can get me a survey for lady who called if I wanted, I said no thanks but I did request to cancel the package upgrade because it was so useless for me to begin with, I simply fell into a seller's hands to begin with. 

**There are A LOT of fraudulent calls, everyone! Luckily mine was actually legitimate and I didn't fall for anything. I do recommend if ANYTHING seems suspicious, please call Xfinity directly or whoever you're experiencing a problem with and speak to a representative directly to verify. Don't be a scammer's next successful victim!**

Posted by
New Poster

Message 28 of 31

piehole72 wrote:

I have gotten many such calls from 972-252-3078.  A good website to research questionable calls like these, whether they come from an 800 area code or not, is:  800notes.com 

It is a user-posted compilation of scam calls and information on what the caller said, if a message was left, etc.  Just Google the incoming phone number in the format XXX-XXX-XXXX (X's are digits) and usually, the 800notes.com listing for that number is first on Google's list that is returned.

I have now blocked 972-252-3078 with my $40 Sentry blocking device (widely available on the internet).

I use both the Xfinity screen calls and Nomorobo to block nearly all unwanted calls. Only a few have not been blocked, but i simply report them and they are blocked shorty there after.

I would not put too much faith into 800notes  as a reliable source for accuracy of reported calls. That site is plagued with ficticious posts/comments from trolls , scammers, disgruntled victims of unwanted calls and harassment from the registered users there. There is one thing you can be certain about, is this:

Scammers, telemarketers and other unwanted callers can spoof any number they choose to appear in your caller ID.

I have received calls with my own phone number  and my own first name in the CID. I answered the first time, out of curiousity and it was a Microsoft Scam call. Always remember, if your not familiar or don't recognise a number, ignore it and let them leave a message. If the number repeatedly calls, block it !

Never call back an unknown number or you might be calling a scammer's phishing number that collects verified answered number as live numbers. You will get a whole lot more calls! If you think its Comcast, then call the 800COMCAST number and ask them if someone tried contacting you.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 29 of 31

Got a call today. They said they had to come to the house for about 45 minutes to check the wiring. Made an appt. to come here. Maybe I will call police.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 30 of 31

Two year old dead thread now being closed. Feel free to create your own new topic detailing your issue.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Admin1

Message 31 of 31

Hi debwrightsmith -- The call you received is a legit call. You received that call because your address was showing signal leakage. That call was to setup an appointment to come resolve the leakage. Looks like the tech was able to meet with you, explain the situation, and resolve the leakage issue. 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon