Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Disable or stop Norton Security Suite "Create Account" popup / nag screen

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 1 of 14 (1,093 Views)

Disable or stop Norton Security Suite "Create Account" popup / nag screen

Why am I suddenly getting these popups?  I updated to Win10 in July.  I upgraded NSS, but had to use the repair / reinstall tool afterwards due to some weird corruption.  My current NSS version is 22.8.1.14.  I've also installed this program on two other computers, and I'm getting the same popup nag screen on them (however, they upgraded NSS without any errors).

All comptuers have the "Special Offer Notifications" set to "Off".  But, I'm guessing this is a system notification, which wouldn't be disabled by that setting.

If I click "Remind me later", I get to be annoyed again.  If I click "Next", the window acts like it's trying to contact Norton to allow me to create an account.  Then, the connection goes nowhere, and the window closes.

I've used the Comcast build of NSS for years, and I've never received these before.  However, I did try to ask a question on the Norton help forums once, and was told they couldn't help with the Comcast version of the software.  So, creating a Norton account (even if I wanted to), would seem to be pointless.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

13 REPLIES
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 2 of 14 (1,045 Views)

Re: Disable or stop Norton Security Suite "Create Account" popup / nag screen

Hi ChuckTC,

Interesting situation and something I have to admit I have never seen before. 

FWIW - you can ask questions on the Noton Fourms abouit NSS  - the preferred board would be the Norton Internet Security, N360,Norton Antivirus Board , but I would probably be the one to assist, as I answer most Comcast NSS questions over there.   I go by the user name Yank.

A few things you can try:

•  Go ahead and set up a Norton Account - although it would be useless with the NSS as it is used for license tracking, renewals and moving Identity safe to the Cloud, however it would permit you to log into the Norton Forums and respond over there.
  • Plese select Help from the main poage of NSS and then Get Support.  Let the program run, and see if it finds and corrects anything.  Let us know the results - IMHO it wil probably be that nothing was fond nd you need to go to Support.
  • I'm curious if you have any other Norton Products installed - such as Norton Mobility ( offered at special Comcast user price )   I ask as the image you included shows both a PC and a Phone. In order to use Norotn Mobility, you must create a Norton Account.
  • Also please tell us if your other systems are WIN 10 or another OS, which browser you are using as Default and also if WIN 10 systems have Fast Startup disabled.

Please post back with results of above.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 3 of 14 (1,022 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I should have reworded the part about asking for help on the Norton forums - "couldn't help" wasn't the right way to say it.  They were nice and helpful, but let me know that Comcast could better answer my question.  It was several years ago.  I think it was something about Norton and Constant Guard, but I don't remember the specifics.  I didn't mean to imply that Norton turned me away or anything.

About the current situation:

-  Do you mean I should create an account at the Norton site?  The popup won't let me create an account - it never completes it function if I click "Next".  If I do create a Norton account, is there a way to input that information into NSS so it turns off the popup?

-  I've used the Get Support function several times since the reinstall.  It did not stop the popups.  I used it while trying to determine why NSS had stopped performing Full scans.  Somehow, during the Win10 version upgrade and reinstall, the Full auto-scan setting changed itself from 7 days to 30 days.  I went nearly a month wondering why only Quick scans were being performed.  This happened on 2 of the 3 computers, by the way - the third retained its original "every 7 days" Full scan setting.

-  None of the computers have any other Norton programs installed.  Also, none of them interact with a smartphone on a regular basis.  I think that must be generic phone artwork on the popup.

-  One PC is an original Win10 machine (HP all-in-one touchscreen), and uses Edge as the main browser with some Firefox.  One PC was upgraded to Win10 from Win7 (Dell desktop), and uses Firefox almost exclusively.  My PC (HP desktop) was upgraded from Win7.  I use Firefox mainly, but also use IE11 and Avant (which can switch between the IE, Firefox, and Chrome browser engines) for different sites.  None of the PCs have Fast Startup disabled.  Instead, we use the Sleep function and restart them every few days (on average).

Again, I appreciate your help.  Should I go ahead and report this directly to Norton?  To me, it seems like they forgot to "turn off" this popup in one of the latest builds they sent to Comcast.  Like I said before, it didn't start until sometime last Fall.  I kept hoping it would resolve itself.  If you need any further information, please let me know.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 4 of 14 (1,011 Views)

ChuckTC wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I should have reworded the part about asking for help on the Norton forums - "couldn't help" wasn't the right way to say it.  They were nice and helpful, but let me know that Comcast could better answer my question.  It was several years ago.  I think it was something about Norton and Constant Guard, but I don't remember the specifics.  I didn't mean to imply that Norton turned me away or anything.

Understand and FIW, I think with your current situation you may be better off chatting with Norton Support, rather than asking on the Norton Forum

About the current situation:

-  Do you mean I should create an account at the Norton site?  The popup won't let me create an account - it never completes it function if I click "Next".  If I do create a Norton account, is there a way to input that information into NSS so it turns off the popup?

Yes, I was suggesting you create a Norton Account- just to see what happens - but it now sounds like you have attempted that and it just times out (lack of a better term) instead of continuing to a page asking for email and password setup as I would have expected.

-  I've used the Get Support function several times since the reinstall.  It did not stop the popups.  I used it while trying to determine why NSS had stopped performing Full scans.  Somehow, during the Win10 version upgrade and reinstall, the Full auto-scan setting changed itself from 7 days to 30 days.  I went nearly a month wondering why only Quick scans were being performed.  This happened on 2 of the 3 computers, by the way - the third retained its original "every 7 days" Full scan setting.

I'm thinking the two that reflected the 30 days were the WIN 10 systems and the one that retained the 7 day was the WIN 7.  For some reason when Windows Update or Norton Update runs on different (OS) sysems it can change the settings in Norton, as well as sometimes the settings in WIN 10.  Fast startup is one of the settings that can get c hanged.  I have noticed the "Settings"  For example, the 30 days and also sometimes it will change the  Boot Time Protection  to OFF the defaulgt setting - I use the Aggresive setting, so I have to check that setting whenever an update occurs.

-  None of the computers have any other Norton programs installed.  Also, none of them interact with a smartphone on a regular basis.  I think that must be generic phone artwork on the popup.

OK - I ws just trying verify no addtional devices/programs

-  One PC is an original Win10 machine (HP all-in-one touchscreen), and uses Edge as the main browser with some Firefox.  One PC was upgraded to Win10 from Win7 (Dell desktop), and uses Firefox almost exclusively.  My PC (HP desktop) was upgraded from Win7.  I use Firefox mainly, but also use IE11 and Avant (which can switch between the IE, Firefox, and Chrome browser engines) for different sites.  None of the PCs have Fast Startup disabled.  Instead, we use the Sleep function and restart them every few days (on average).

Thanks for the info - now EDGE is not supported by Norton at this time - the Norton Toolbar (NT is not permitted by Microsoft at this time - I'm not sure Microsoft has approved any none Microsoft extensions for use with Edge.  Thus there is no telling what will happen with Edge.  Firefox also has limited capability with Noton at present - Norton is hard at it working with FF in order to get the NTB extension fully capable.  IE and Chrome browsers at presetn are the only two totally capable with Norton browsers.  Yes I know not cool at all. 

Did you read the article I linked to in my last post re:  Fast Startup?   Fast Startup disabled.  Even if only for a short period of time, please diable Fast startup, reboot and then please try your system with Fast startup disabled.

Again, I appreciate your help.  Should I go ahead and report this directly to Norton?  To me, it seems like they forgot to "turn off" this popup in one of the latest builds they sent to Comcast.  Like I said before, it didn't start until sometime last Fall.  I kept hoping it would resolve itself.  If you need any further information, please let me know.

Please try what I have suggested in regards to checking your settings and disabling Fast startup.  There is a Norton employee who posts on this forum (user name Norton support) - I will Private Message him and see if he can assist in this thread.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 14 (942 Views)

Thanks again for the help.  The popup happens randomly, so I won't know if anything worked until it does / doesn't happen.  At first it appeared to be a monthly occurrence, but it's also happened daily and weekly for short periods of time.  The screencap I took the other day was the first time I've seen it in a while - sometime before Christmas, at least.

I'll keep an eye on this thread in case the Norton rep pops in.  Thanks again!

Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 6 of 14 (834 Views)

Hi,

Could you please capture a sceenshot if the message appears again. Please private message the screenshot and I can look into this for you.

Thanks

Anirban

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 14 (802 Views)

NortonSupport wrote:

Hi,

Could you please capture a sceenshot if the message appears again. Please private message the screenshot and I can look into this for you.

Thanks

Anirban

Hi Anirban -

My first message has a screenshot of the popup when it first appears.  Do you need me to take a screenshot of what happens after I click "Next" (the next step to create an account)?  It appears to be back on a weekly schedule - it popped up last Sunday night.  So, it will be a few days before I can get you the second screenshot.

Thank you for the reply on this forum.  I haven't had time to create a Norton forum account, and post this information there.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 8 of 14 (794 Views)

Hi ChuckTC,

Sorry Norton Support took so long to resposnd  (he did apologize in a PM to me), but since you have already supplied the initial screenshot - I think the screenshot of what happens after you click "Next" (the next step to create an account)? will be most helpful.

Bear in mind, once he receives the screenshot, he will have to go back to the TEAM @ Norton (something I can not do) that will investigate this situation, so do not expect an immediate answer. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 14 (789 Views)

Thanks, USAF.  I'll keep an eye out on Sunday to see if it reappears.

No sweat about the delay, and thanks again for sending him a message.  It's really only a minor annoyance, no big deal.  But it's obvious that it's not supposed to happen, and I wanted to make sure to let someone know in case it may point to a coding problem or other bug/glitch that could compromise the security of the program and its functions.  I've had a little experience with computer programming - if there is one error, it usually points to several more.  Smiley Happy

Thanks again, and hope you both have a great weekend!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 10 of 14 (787 Views)

Oh, and one other thing:  The last popup (last Sunday evening), happened while I was watching fullscreen video.  Usually whatever program is streaming video has complete control of the screen, and won't let notifications from other programs interfere.  Instead, the Norton popup occurred on top of the video, as though it weren't even running.  I can understand that behavior if it were a security notification - like hackers were rooting around in my computer while I was watching Game of Thrones, or something else that was urgent.  But for a silly "Don't forget to create a Norton account!" reminder?

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 11 of 14 (774 Views)

ChuckTC,

Please go to Settings > Administrative Settings > Silent Mode Settings and click on the question mark.  That should bring up a new page titled Manage Silent Mode Settings - thatg should explain what the different settings do. 

FWIW - if you have Full Screen Detection set to ON, it shoujld supress all Norton alerts and background tasks, until you come out of full screen mode.

I'm thinking if you receive these popups while Full Screen detection is on, then it is NOT coming from Norton.

Interested in what you'll see Sunday. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 12 of 14 (723 Views)

The popup never occurred last night.  Guess I'm back on the monthly reminder track.  Whenever it reappears, I'll try my best to get a screencap of the second screen.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 13 of 14 (538 Views)

NortonSupport wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Anirban

I finally was able to get a screencap of the second screen.  It occurred Saturday night (Sunday morning) at midnight CST.  Last weekend, I was watching for it at the Sunday/Monday midnight split.  I must have missed it the night before.

The second screen occurs after you click the "Next" button to begin creating a Norton account.  You can see that it switches to a timer animation where the arrow is animated.  There is a third screen which appears for a split-second after the popup establishes a connection to the Norton server.  It's a series of concentric yellow circles that are animated, each circle rotating in the opposite direction of the larger circle above/outside it.  It disappears instantly afterwards, and the whole popup disappears.  I doubt I would ever be able to get a screencap of that third screen - it is literally onscreen for half a second.

I'll also PM you these screencaps and description, but I wanted to post them publicly in case anyone else is experiencing this issue.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Norton1.jpg
Norton2.jpg
Norton1.jpg
Norton2.jpg
Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 14 of 14 (480 Views)

Hi, 

Thanks for the screenshots. I will pass them on to the concerned team and get back to you with the update.

Thanks

Anirban