Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Constant Guard wont authorize

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 29

I can't get the Norton software to verify after installing. Whenever I install it, the program goes to the Norton site to verify. I enter the pin I received from the download, click verify and get a message saying "this pin is no longer valid". I have been having this problem for years and got so frustrated because I could never find a solution that I bought the Norton software. It is now coming up for renewal and I would rather use the free version I am supposed to get with my Comcast service. Repeated conversations with both Comcast and Norton get me nowhere. So if anyone knows of a solution to this I would appreciate it. FYI, I have tried uninstalling my bought version of Norton using their removal tool before trying to install the Comcast version but get the same invalid pin message.

28 REPLIES
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 2 of 29

Hi erakster,

That's really a weird situation.  When attempting to download/install and activate your Comcast Norton Secrutiy Suite, are you doing so while logged into your Primary Comcast Account and using your residential modem registered with Comcast?  these two items are how Comcst verifies you are a customer.  Also be sure to verify you are using the correct PIN provided on the download page after selecting Get Norton Security Suite?

You can use the following NSS FAQ's information in order to remove your retail copy of Norton and install the Comcast version:

http://forums.comcast.net/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suit...

Please let us know how things go and come back with any questons you may have.  If more questons, please provide your default browser and operating system.  Remember Comcast NSS uses a Local Vault, whihc is no loonger availble in FireFox or Edge.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 3 of 29

Yes I am at home on my pc logged into comcast. I honestly don't expect a fix for this problem. I have a week before needing to renew my bought version of Norton so i'm pretty sure I will be following that path again. PIN is correct. I have typed it in and cut and pasted to avoid any typing errors. Most of the time the install program places it for me. I use Crome but have tried with Firefox, Edge, Explorer and even Opera, all running under Windows 10, latest version. Nothing in the FAQs cover my problem. I have even gone as far as editind the registry to remove all reference to Norton or Symantec product. 

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 4 of 29

Thanks for the feedback - have your tried it with Fast Start disabled in WIN 10.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-881-or-10-and-fast-start-feature-0

Have you contacted Norton Support:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/contact?entsrc=redirect_pubweb

Be sure to tell them you are a Comcast customer and see if they can verify you are shown as a current customer in their data base.  Comcast verifies you are still a custom evry so often and from time to time the data base between Comcast and Norton gets corrupted.  Normally Support at Norton will not check this on a routine call - try nudging them to verify it.

We has a user "Norton Support" who is a Norton employee and can get better actions from Norton in regards to wuird problems we encounter.  I will PM him and see if he will respond.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 29

I don't use fast start on my PC because of issues with other programs. I have not talked to Norton recently but did when I had this problem before rersorting to buying the program. All I got from them was it's a Comcast problem, Comcast told me it's a Norton problem. At that point I said F$%@ it. Below is what the screen shows when I try to verify. I will try contacting again. I could use the laugh.

The PIN you entered is not valid for Norton 360 at this time. Check your entry to make sure it is correct.
If desired, click here to purchase this service.
1. Obtain a PIN

Not signed up yet? Sign up now!

2. Enter your PIN

My service PIN:  
Forgot your PIN? What is a PIN?
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 6 of 29

Hi eraskter,

I was going to ask you to remove your PIN from the image, as that should not be visible on the open forum - however, I noticed that may be your problem.  The PIN is 13 digits - I only count 12 - so of course it is invalid.

Please double check the Get Norton Now  PIN number  given: 

http://constantguard.comcast.net/norton?cid=NET_33_601

My PIN start with a number FWIW.

Also I notice the link takes you to a N360 Online Product page - N360 Onlne is a Comcast Business product and will not work on a residential account.

Without being activated the following will probably not help aas it will probably show your retail Naorton Product Key (23 digits)

Your PIN number is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

In Windows 10/8/7/Vista: C:\Users\Users Name\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt
In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 29

The link has always takes me to the Norton 360 page. The serial number is 13 long and has always been the same, starting with WG7M. As I said in the beginning I don't expect to find a fix. I have been a Comcast customer over 15 years and have NEVER been able to use the Norton product. Tech support on both sides have been no help. I'm done trying. I have a retail license and will keep renewing I guess. This has become to frustrating and is bringing back all the headaches I had from the past efforts trying to make it work Smiley Happy Thanks for trying to help.

Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 8 of 29

Hi 

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 9 of 29

I am having the exact same issue.

mine started with "norton's subscription canceled",  so i uninstalled Norton and downloaded from the constant guard page.

after installing i am getting the exact same issue as the OP.

running windows 10

in fact my wife's computer has the same "Norton subscription canceled" but i have not tried to fix hers at this time.

i even tried turning off/on the modem to no avail.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 10 of 29

Exact same problem here, just started today.  Norton reported "Your Norton Subcription Is Not Activiated".  I uninstalled/reinstalled and now having the exact same problem is OP.  Its pretty clear that at least some PINs Comast has provided are expired.  There isnt anything Norton can do about this.  Comast needs to work with Norton to re-enable our PINs, or issue us new PINs.  But, knowing Comast, this will be something hundreds of customers will have to complain about for weeks or months before it gets resolved.  I highy encourage anyone who is having the problem to post it on all your social media accounts.  That is the fastest way to get stuff like this resolved.  The last time I contacted Comcast for support for Norton issues, I was told (in broken English) that Comcast does not provide NSS to users.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 11 of 29

I am having the same issue and the following is the response I received from Norton support:

We have an issue with the activation server which actually is a temporary error. This is being caused by certain
changes that we are trying to integrate with the Norton product to enhance its performance and to make your
computer more secure and up to date . We are currently on the process of releasing a fix for this and the same
will be updated in the next 24 - 48 hours.

Till the your Windows Firewall will protect your computer.

Pease do a reboot after 24 to 48 hours and the issue will be fixed automatically.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 12 of 29

Exact same issue here. Began today with Norton expired/cancelled. For what I pay Comcast *@#$% they should fix simple issues like this quickly. Reinstall fails as noted above. Really annoyed Comcast!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 13 of 29

same thing here:

I am really sorry for the inconvenience,  I would suggest you to kindly install the trial version of Norton in the meantime to protect your computer.

If you wish to try our other products, please use the following URL : https://norton.com/trial

This didn't work and gave me the same "cannot activate" error

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 14 of 29

I have the same problem.   I guess I'm unprotected until they fix this.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 15 of 29

This is in no way a new problem. I have had this going on for several years, which is why I eventually purchased the Norton package. I got so many different excuses and promises of fixes coming that it became a joke. I don't think a fix will ever show up. So either buy the software or find another means of protection.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 16 of 29
I online chatted with with Comcast who first gave me the reinstall instructions which I had already tried. Then I found this message thread and let them know. They told me to call norton. I online chatted with them and gave them my email and norton pin. They said the pin was disabled. Not sure why. Anyway, they are supposed to call me when resolved but I won't hold my breathe.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 17 of 29

It's 9/12.  I tried reinstalling and still the same issue.  I tried calling Norton at 877-272-7149 but hung up because it was a long wait.   Why is this so difficult to resolve.   Fix my PIn already!    I don't have time to deal with now.  I've got to cleanup after Hurricane Irma.   Will try again later.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 18 of 29

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet/Norton-Security-Suite-should-now-be-reacti...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 19 of 29

Hi USAF. Just wanted to let you know the joke continues. I saw your message and for a minute was excited. I downloaded, installed, got my pin, which was the same as I have had for years and POOF, got the same Invalid PIN message. So screw Norton and screw Comcast. I will find another solution. Thanks for your efforts.

Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 20 of 29

Hi 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 21 of 29

I would love to send a private message as requested. When I click on the member info and go to send private message I get a screen that does not allow me to enter anything. I click on send private message and nothing happens. Directions please Smiley Sad

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 22 of 29

Never mind. Got the private message sent to the Norton rep

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 23 of 29

Nope.  I still have the issue.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 24 of 29

Still failing.. hours spent on this. Not many ISP options in my area.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 25 of 29

Working at the moment

Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 26 of 29

Hi,

The issue has been fixed from our end. Norton should be active on your end as well. If you still see 'subscription cancelled', please DM me the PIN. I will have it verified and sorted manually.

Thanks

Anirban

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 27 of 29

My Norton is working now.   Thanks!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 28 of 29

my norton is working now thanks.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 29 of 29

I can't believe I am saying this, but after nearly 10 years of not being able to use Comcast Constant Guard a Norton rep finally was able to get it working for me Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

This has been the most painful situation of a software problem I had ever encountered. But now my faith in humanity has been renewed Smiley Happy  Thank you whoever you are for making this work for me.