members

online now

discussions

Comcast Norton Internet Security Won't Install on my MAC

ANSWERED
Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast Norton Internet Security Won't Install on my MAC

Went to https://constantguard.xfinity.com/products-and-services/norton-internet-security/ to download Norton Internet Securty for MacOS.

Have a farily new MAC Book Pro running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)

Entered the code it provides and downloaded the installer.

Unzipped the installer as shown

Double click to run the installer and I get this:

Any ideas? 

It seems I can only install an older version of Norton Internet Security that I got from Symantec Suport when they told me Comcast has problems with their version of Norton Internet Security. 

The problem is the old version keeps prompting me to upgrade becase it says its obselete. 

If I download the pay version from Symantec directly it works great, but Comcast is supposed to provide the software.

If comcast can't handle providng it they should give us vouchers so we can get the Symatec version since that works. 

Whats the fix?

I ran the RemoveSymantecMacFiles.command file and cleared everything out, but I still can't install the new version of Symantec for MAC. It seems there is a problem with the actual program.

Accepted Solution

Re: Comcast Norton Internet Security Won't Install on my MAC

Here is the resolution:

After spending 7 hours with Comcast Support and Norton Support, I finally was able to reach someone at Norton (Symantec Corporation) that understood the problem.

The bottom line, as confirmed by Norton, the current version of the MAC software offered by Comcast does not work on MAC. Thats a fact. Norton (Symantec Corp) Acknoledged it. The software wont install, and if you are able to use the old version and then upgrade to the current version, there are nothing but problems.

The fix is not to use the software provided by Comcast because it doesn't work and it doesn't install.

You have to use the software provided by Norton here - https://norton.com/comcastmac7

It uses a totally different installer and was written totally different so it actually installs and works on MacOS Sierra and El Capitan.

Here is the procedure proviided to me by Symantec Technical Support:

(1) Do not download the Norton Internet Security for MAC software at https://constantguard.xfinity.com/products-and-services/norton-internet-security/ because it doesnt work and has not worked since it was released. Don't use that. Its not compatable with MacOS. It won't install or run properly.

(2) Download Norton Internet Security here - https://norton.com/comcastmac7

(3) Unzip the file.

(4) Click the Install Norton.app

(5) Let it download and install, reboot as prompted by the installer.

(6) if prompted after the installation completes, go to https://constantguard.xfinity.com/products-and-services/norton-internet-security/ and click on the Mac icon and request the install code or partner code. Copy the code, and insert it into the Norton provided app that you installed from step 3.

(7) After it is installed, make sure you choose to immediately download all applications updates via live update. Failure to do this will leave the software in an incompatable state that causes problems with your MacOS system. The version # after the update should be 7.4.3 as viewable in the "About Norton Internet Security" area of the application.

This Symantec build thats currenly only obtainable at https://norton.com/comcastmac7  fixes two problems: (1) It fixes the install problem and (2) it also fixes the crashing/starting/glitching problem that the version currently being served up by comcast casues.

Comcast ultimately must replace the version they are serving up to customers with the version listed in step # 2 above.

That simple resolution shown above should be something that EVERY SINGLE COMCAST AND SYMANTEC SUPPORT REP SHOULD HAVE IMMEDIATELY ACCESSIBLE.

Sadly, it took me 7 hours across 20+ phone calls and support chat sessions between Comcast and Symantec to obtain that basic corrective fix, because nobody that works at Comcast or Symantec have a clue as to what they are doing and nobody knows or understands basic computer technology, as evidenced by the technicians walking down all kinds of nonsenseical patheways that are immediately obvious to me that those are not going to bring us any closer to solving the problem.

I only got this fix because I was insanely persistant and got lucky to finally get a symantec rep (after 7+ hours mind you) who actually knew something about the symantec software they are supposed to support.

View answer in context
Security Expert

Hi ACECORP,

I am not a MAC user, so am shootingi n the dark as I feel you need and answer. 

First of all are you logged into your Comcast Primary User's Account and using your residential modem?  This is how Comcast verifies you are elgible for the free download/install.

My other suggestion would be to try to get an answer from the Norton Forums MAC Board.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Here is the resolution:

After spending 7 hours with Comcast Support and Norton Support, I finally was able to reach someone at Norton (Symantec Corporation) that understood the problem.

The bottom line, as confirmed by Norton, the current version of the MAC software offered by Comcast does not work on MAC. Thats a fact. Norton (Symantec Corp) Acknoledged it. The software wont install, and if you are able to use the old version and then upgrade to the current version, there are nothing but problems.

The fix is not to use the software provided by Comcast because it doesn't work and it doesn't install.

You have to use the software provided by Norton here - https://norton.com/comcastmac7

It uses a totally different installer and was written totally different so it actually installs and works on MacOS Sierra and El Capitan.

Here is the procedure proviided to me by Symantec Technical Support:

(1) Do not download the Norton Internet Security for MAC software at https://constantguard.xfinity.com/products-and-services/norton-internet-security/ because it doesnt work and has not worked since it was released. Don't use that. Its not compatable with MacOS. It won't install or run properly.

(2) Download Norton Internet Security here - https://norton.com/comcastmac7

(3) Unzip the file.

(4) Click the Install Norton.app

(5) Let it download and install, reboot as prompted by the installer.

(6) if prompted after the installation completes, go to https://constantguard.xfinity.com/products-and-services/norton-internet-security/ and click on the Mac icon and request the install code or partner code. Copy the code, and insert it into the Norton provided app that you installed from step 3.

(7) After it is installed, make sure you choose to immediately download all applications updates via live update. Failure to do this will leave the software in an incompatable state that causes problems with your MacOS system. The version # after the update should be 7.4.3 as viewable in the "About Norton Internet Security" area of the application.

This Symantec build thats currenly only obtainable at https://norton.com/comcastmac7  fixes two problems: (1) It fixes the install problem and (2) it also fixes the crashing/starting/glitching problem that the version currently being served up by comcast casues.

Comcast ultimately must replace the version they are serving up to customers with the version listed in step # 2 above.

That simple resolution shown above should be something that EVERY SINGLE COMCAST AND SYMANTEC SUPPORT REP SHOULD HAVE IMMEDIATELY ACCESSIBLE.

Sadly, it took me 7 hours across 20+ phone calls and support chat sessions between Comcast and Symantec to obtain that basic corrective fix, because nobody that works at Comcast or Symantec have a clue as to what they are doing and nobody knows or understands basic computer technology, as evidenced by the technicians walking down all kinds of nonsenseical patheways that are immediately obvious to me that those are not going to bring us any closer to solving the problem.

I only got this fix because I was insanely persistant and got lucky to finally get a symantec rep (after 7+ hours mind you) who actually knew something about the symantec software they are supposed to support.

Security Expert

Thanks ACECORP for not only the info, but the hard work you put into getting it.  Anyone less persistant would never had gotten it.

I have escalated this topic to official Comcast employees who get paid to work on these situations and try to get them solved.  I will also make sure I save these instructions in case I (as a volunteer working this forum) needs the info again.

Asa user (the same as you are) I can only do so much - ask,not even demand, but I thank you for going the extra mile in getting to the bottom of this situation.  I am a Guru on the Norton Forums (go by yank over there) and will pass it on to them as well and see if we can generate a bit of dialogue between the two companies.

Thanks again for the solution - hopefully it will assist others.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Thank you ACECORP for the write up. If you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist. Have a great night

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Security Expert

ComcastShane wrote:

Thank you ACECORP for the write up. If you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist. Have a great night

@ComcastShane  Unacceptable answer/response - my questionis what is Comcast going to do about getting the links/instructions etc added to the "Offical Link" for MAC Norton Installation?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Norton Expert

Hi 

Frequent Visitor

Doesn't work for me. Using: Processor 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo      Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63b)

Norton Expert

Hi