Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cannot schedule scans - all task scheduling options are disabled?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
Edited on
‎02-09-2017 09:03 AM

Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 8 (670 Views)

Cannot schedule scans - all task scheduling options are disabled?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Using NS 22.8.1.14 via Infinity on a Win 7 machine.

Recently (last few weeks) getting alerts in the System Tray that it's been 7 days since the last scan. I can manually scan but cannot schedule scans, All options in the Task Scheduling window are disabled, including both tabs - Automatic Tabs and Scheduling. On the Settings menu, only Silent Mode and Identity Safe are enabled, the remainder disabled.

I don't recall this being the case before. I'm sure Norton was scanning at regular intervals.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Thanks,

Mike

7 REPLIES
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 2 of 8 (649 Views)

Re: Cannot schedule scans - all task scheduling options are disabled?

Hi Mr_Mike,

The most current version (as of yesterday) is 22.9.0.68, so you are behind on the version.  Be advised it will take a few manual runs of LiveUpdate (LU) to get everything completely up to date.  It took me three runs yesterday morning to get up to date, so after you run the first LU, you will have to run it again and again until such time as it states "No Update Found".  You will also require a restart after one of the LU's.

Once your Norton Security Suite (NSS) is up to date, yuo'l have to make some changes to your settings:

First of all in Task Scheduling - you can leave the Automatic Tasks disabled if you desire, I have my IE & Windows Temp files enabled in order to clean them up occasionally. On the Scheduling Tab I would suggest select Automatic and Apply.

On the Settings - I beleive you are talking about the Quick Controls - I recommend only Silent Mode is disabled (not checked) unless you do not use the Backup function.  I do not use the backup function as I have other software that backs my systems up - thus I have also unchecked the 2 backup options.

The remaining 5 I have enabled (check marked). Automatic LU, Smart Firewall, Norton Tamper Protection, and Safe Surfing, not only protects your system, but also keeps your NSS current.  I use the Identity Safe for my passwords, so I also have that check marked.  If you have another passowrd manager - then you do not need it check marked.

In regards to Silent Mode being off (unchecked) - when Silent Mode is running, your Norton product identifies an active full-screen application and turns on Silent Mode. When Silent Mode is enabled, your Norton product suppresses alerts and notifications and suspends background activities to provide uninterrupted sessions for Silent Mode options such as Full Screen Detection.

The message you are receiving is probably being triggered by Quick Scan.  Quick Scan is run automatically - after LU's that contain virus definitions and should alert you if you have not had  a Quick Scan run after 4 days.  This scan runs on a predeterminded schedule set by the Norton program.  With Automatic LU unchecked, no defs are being received and thus no Quick Scan until you reach the warning at the 4 day mark.

Please adjust your settings and run manual LU reebooting when requested) until you receive the response - LiveUpdate finished - No updates found

Please let us know the results.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 8 (635 Views)

Thanks very much for your speedy reply.

After posting, I did run LU (three times w/one reboot) to get the latest version. No change.

Opening NSS, I get the Main Window -- You Are Protected, etc. Clicking Settings opens  a window where:

1) Under Detailed Settings - AntiVirus, Firewall, AntiSpam, Tasks Scheduling and Backup Settings are all greyed out (disabled) - clicking on them does nothing. Only Identity Safety and Administrative Settings can be selected.

2) Under Quick Controls - Safe Surfing (checked), Backup (unchecked), Backup Status Overlays (checked), Automatic Live Update (checked), Smart Firewall (checked) and Norton Tamper Protection(checked) are greyed out. All items but Backup are selected but none of these can be changed. Silent Mode and Identity Safe are the only items that can be checked or unchecked.

I will include a screen shot.

Initially I thought this might be due running on a non-admin account in Win7, so I opened NSS as an Admin but the results are the same.

I could be mistaken but I thought all these options were previously configurable in NSS - is that not the case? Also wondering why if Live Update is checked by default, did I have to manually run Live Update. Similarly, if I can't schedule scans and Quick Scan is required within four days of receiving updated virus definitions, shouldn't the default schedule run Quick Scan itself (I would think it would be run daily during idle time as it only takes a few minutes to complete.)

Well, I thank you again for the time you taken to help with this issue.

Cheers,

Mike

NSSCapture.GIF
NSSCapture.GIF
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 4 of 8 (627 Views)

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback and the images.

What does you main page look like?  Specifically the circled area?

Just an off the wall suggestion - please check your system clock to make sure it displays the correct date and time (time zone also).  I have seen some pretty weird results with the clock being set in the future.

Please select  Help in upper right corner of the main page, then Get Support - lt it run and see if it fixes anything or provides any errors.  Let us know what the results are.

If no joy please follow the instructions in this NSS FAQ.  Hate to tell you this, but you will have to go through a few runs of LU and restarts until it finally updates to the current version you are on now.  It is just the way Comcast has it set up and there have been many complaints, but no action from Comcast.

Let us know what your results are and include any errors messages if you get any. 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 8 (624 Views)

System clock is fine .. inserting photo of main window and will try your suggestions

Thanks once again,

Mike

NSSCapture.GIF
NSSCapture.GIF
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 8 (619 Views)

Ran the NSS Automated Support app - no errors

Norton Security Suite
Windows 7 Professional
7601.23572.amd64fre.win7sp1_ldr.161011-0600
Norton Autofix Results: 0 item(s)

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 8 (607 Views)

Mystery solved ...

I have multiple accounts on my Win 7 PC, including an Admin and a non-Admin account for myself.

As a security measure, I always log into Windows on my non-Admin account and simply run any software requiring Admin rights by selecting Run As Admin from the context menu. In all cases, this is effectively the same as running an app from the Admin account. I just now opened the Admin account and checked NSS - ALL options in Settings are enabled there.

Thinking about it made me realize that NSS is loaded when I log in. So if I've logged in as a guest (non-Admin) those restricted privileges carry through to NSS, even though I later attempt to run in this context as an Admin. (This follows the Windows ACL model, most restrictive permissions apply.) In this case - the log in as Admin option makes no sense as NSS is already running with non-Admin rights ...

(Worst of all, now thinking more about, I do think I've had this issue before [with the same realization]) - Growing old is great, considering the alternative, but I'm afraid I will soon be making new friends every day with everyone I already know.

Again, many thanks for your advice.

Best,

Mike

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 8 of 8 (601 Views)

Hi MIke,

Great news and now that you mention it, not using an admin account does also do funny things to Norton's and that all came about recently (perhaps two version updates ago).  As you said, I thank the Lord for wakingup with the grass still under my feet.  IIRC, there are many settings that can not be changed without using admin account.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon