members

online now

discussions

Cannot Activate Norton

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 1 of 41

I have Windows 10 and I installed xfinity Norton Security Suite 22.5.2.15 on my 3 PCs (it did reuire at least 2 attempts for each PC). However when trying to activate the software, it was successfull only on one PC. On the other two I get a window saying "Communicating with the Norton Server", then a yellow circle turning, then the window closes, no error message, and the activation is still required.

Obviously I tried to uninstall and install, even used the Norton removal tool.

I chatted with Contact Comcast Supprt and they told me I need to create a seperate comcast username for each PC, which sounds strange to me, considering I never had to do it before.

Any ideas what to do ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 2 of 41
Solution

Hi Memi,

I am not saying contacting Comcast Support was the wrong move, but in this case I believe Norton Support may be handier for this situationl:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-suite/1.0/contact?abproduct=Norton+Security+Suit...

Be sure to tell them the entire story - as you have in your original post.

Please let us know if they help - they may need to take over remote control of your system, so be don't be surprised.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

40 REPLIES
Posted by
Security Expert

Message 2 of 41
Solution

Hi Memi,

I am not saying contacting Comcast Support was the wrong move, but in this case I believe Norton Support may be handier for this situationl:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-suite/1.0/contact?abproduct=Norton+Security+Suit...

Be sure to tell them the entire story - as you have in your original post.

Please let us know if they help - they may need to take over remote control of your system, so be don't be surprised.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 3 of 41

Did anyone or anything help you, I am having same exact problem

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 4 of 41

So am I, the exact same problem as all the others.  It says to activate now, you try, you get a  "communicating with the Norton server" message, a spinning circle then nothing.  It does this on two of my machines.

Where is Harry from Norton when you need him?

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 5 of 41

AlanD - try this:

Go to  C:\Program Files (x86) and delete the Norton and the Norton Installer Folder.

Then go to  http://constantguard.comcast.net/norton?cid=NET_33​_601 and download and install Norton Security Suite.  This should download, install and activate the new version of NSS for you.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 6 of 41

No Good, USAF-E-8.  I followed your instructions.

Exactly the same problem.  You install the program, it says "You are Protected" but then it asks you to "Activate Now' along with a "subscription?" message.  It says "Activation Required."

Everything is Green, but these messages persist, and everytime you try to activate, you get 

"Communicating with the Norton Server" for a few seconds and then it bombs out.

I've updated three machines to Windows 10.  This error persists on two of them, one which had Windows 7 and one that had Window 8.1

If I can help in any way to figure this out, please let me know.  It's frustrating.

UPDATE:

I reverted one of the Windows 10 machines back to Windows 7.  I tried the above procedure and it's the same with Windows 7.  So I guess it's not a specific problem with WIndows 10.

FURTHER UPDATE:

Rereading the directions, I tried to delete Norton Security Suite and NortonInstaller directories before I did anything else.  When attempting to delete them I get "You need permissions to perform this action, You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder.

I'm the only one who uses this laptop so I asked myself permission to delete the folder, I then agreed but couldn't convince the folder that it was OK.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 7 of 41

Norton chat support wasn't available on the weekend and they were supposed to call me back, but still haven't heard from them.

Anyway, uninstalling with the Norton Removal Tool, deleting the folders as suggested by USAF_E-8_RET, and reinstalling, solved my problem on all the machines. Thank you.

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 8 of 41

Thanks Memi - glad we are getting some folks back to normal!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 9 of 41

I'm having same exact problem.  Have uninstalled/reinstalled 3 times with same result.  I first used the Norton uninstaller, then the removal tool, and then did reinstall from the Comcast link given by USAF-E-8.  After I did the uninstall process, the Norton and Norton Installation folders are no longer in C:\Program Files (x86) so I cannot delete them as suggested.  QUESTION:  Should these folders be deleted BEFORE the uninstall?

I'm at my wits end.  Ironically, my Comcast Norton was automatically undated to the new Win 10 ver. 22.5.2.15 (I'm using Win 7).  Then, a couple hours later I got a popup Norton screen saying my Norton was not compatible with W10 and click to update.  When I clicked "next", got the beginning of an install process and then Norton simply disappeared from my machine.

Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 10 of 41

Did you try to remove Norton folder from C:\ProgramData after running the removal tool? If not, try that once & let me know the results.

Harry

Norton Support

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 11 of 41
Here's MY story. I downloaded the latest version of Norton, but it wouldn't run any scans. SO, I re-installed it and got the "activation required" message. So, after getting sent to the "connecting to the Norton server" message and then sent back to the same page where it says "activation required, I called Norton. Who, sent me back to Comcast. Meantime, while waiting for Comcast to come on, I tried to do a scan....BINGO! Everything seems to be working, updates, scans, everything. But it STILL says "activation required". I asked the guy, "so do I have to worry about this message then?" He said no, and that they're aware of the problem. (at least that's what I think he said, it was hard to understand him at times) I have a case number and he said to keep it in case I need to call again. (please no!) In the meantime, I have to have faith that everything is current/protected and that the "activate" message is just an error. In other words, trust what he said! Jeez man.... But as far as I can tell now, everything, other than that message, is working as it should. I'd sure feel a lot better if I was CERTAIN about all of this, but what else can ya do?
Posted by
New Poster

Message 12 of 41

I want to post a correction. After reading JamesG2's post, I reread the thread and realized I didn't actually follow USAF_E-8_RET's advice exactly. So here is what solved the problem for me:

1. Uninstalling with Norton Removal tool

2. View hidden files from File Explorer

3. Delete the Norton and NortonInstaller folders from C:\ProgramData (not from the C:\Program Files (x86) folder)

4. Turn off viweing hidden files from File Explorer

5. Reinstall Norton

Posted by
New Poster

Message 13 of 41

Thanks, Harry, but after running the removal tool the folders are no longer there.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 14 of 41

Harry...please disregard my previous answer to you which incorrectly referred to the folders in C:\Program Files (x86) mentioned by USAF-E-8.  The correct answer is "no, I did not delete folders in C:\Program Data.  Sorry that I misread your question.

Thanks also to Memi for her clarification.

New information:  As I was typing this, I just got a popup from Norton saying that my current version is not compatible with Win 10 and to download a new version.  Not falling for that again, since that's what started my problems!!  I already have Ver. 22.5.2.15 which seems to be working fine, with the exception of the activation problem.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 15 of 41

I'm having the same problem... trying to activate the software,  window saying "Communicating with the Norton Server", then a yellow circle turning, then the window closes, no error message

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 16 of 41

nmccainjr wrote:

I'm having the same problem... trying to activate the software,  window saying "Communicating with the Norton Server", then a yellow circle turning, then the window closes, no error message

This is a common problem and exactly what happened to me.  You need to go to:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-suite/1.0/contact-chat?abproduct=Norton+Security...

start a chat session and explain the problem.  The folks there will go into your machine, they know EXACTLY how to fix this problem  It takes less than 15 minutes and it's free.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 17 of 41

I had this problem to but I deleted the norton folder in c:/programdata/norton and if you have any problems with it saying that you need administration rights just delete files in the norton folder until you get to the ones that are giving you problems and just navigate to the last file in the folder. It might say you need some kind of admin rights to proceed to the last file just click ok and then I started by deleting the last file working my way back to the norton folder then I was able to delete the norton folder.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 18 of 41

Why can't thry post the fix here?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 19 of 41

Click Activate Now, get an hourglass followed by a disappearing window...same theme

The Norton tech remoted into my PC, cleaned out some temp files and cleared the DNS cache, etc., but it still would not let her activate the subscription. She then restarted my machine in safe mode (apparently forgetting to specify safe mode with networking?) and left me sitting there....the phone call I was supposed to get if we were disconnected never came. I finally found how to get out of safe mode in Win 10, then called Norton, where I was put on hold for well over an hour, reached a tech, and was put back on hold waiting for a Comcast expert. After another 45 minutes of Muzak, I hung up and went swimming! Norton is still not activated. In all, I wasted almost 5 hours of my only free day - seems to me that Norton could have just dthe software from their end with mty Comcast PIN and saved me a lot of irritation.

Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 20 of 41

Hello ,

Sorry to hear about the problem & experience you had with our support team. Did you try the suggestion as provided by  above? If not, please try that and let me know how it goes.

Harry

Norton Support

Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 41

I had the Exact same thing happen to me as happened to wwdnet.  And it took me another hour to get out of safe mode and get the computer working normal again. Safe mode is very different in Windows 10.  I got a call the Next Day from a representative, asking if everything was okay, and I said yes, but no thanks to them! I was not very pleasant with him and had to apologize for my anger toward Norton and people working there, telling him it was not aimed at him. However, some of it really was, because he was not properly trained in this situation. Obviously, from what I've read above, other workers were not properly trained in this situation either, because they also cut people off when they went to use safe mode.

Harry, please advise somebody over there to teach the technicians the proper process when doing this stuff! Sorry, not angry with you personally, just with Norton in general. After getting stuff to work (myself) on my laptop, a week later, here I am having to reinstall Norton on my PC and now I'm getting the same "activate now" problem as listed above. Norton really needs to get their stuff together and fix this whole mess. We should not have to go through hoops to get this stuff to work. You need to talk to Comcast or whatever provider you are partnering with and get this stuff straight. You should have already prepared for the coming of Windows 10, as we had plenty of notification ahead of time that it was coming out. Please, Norton, Symantic, Comcast, whoever, (sorry for any misspellings) Get your Stuff Together and fix this, so the people who don't have much understanding of computers don't have to go through this. I do have a little understanding and can usually straighten things out myself, but I truly feel sorry for anyone who is just a computer user, who doesn't have the understanding. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 22 of 41

About 8:30-9 PM last night, a second tech did exactly what was suggested; NRT, delete the Norton folders, reboot, reinstall. It worked like a charm. I wish I had gotten him the first time around!

I am happy to have Norton working as it should, but I wish I had done a little more research on my new OS before I ended up in la-la land Smiley Happy Who knew that getting out of safe made would be so different (or so much more laborious) than it was in previous Windows versions?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 23 of 41

I got a Norton survey request today, and I was not very kind, mostly because I am still not feeling much love for the support process. To be fair, I gave the second tech props for fixing the issue.  A heads-up from Comcast to update Norton prior to the Windows 10 upgrade would have been nice, or a heads-up from Norton about the process involved, or better yet a heads-up from Microsoft with a list of changes to common functions (like getting in/out of safe mode).  I surely hope this is the last Windows OS update for a while, because I have not been enjoying myself

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 24 of 41

Hi wwdnet,

I know no help for you now and does not cover all you critiqued, but I juts posted another sticky at the top of this Board:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/Addtional-Updated-information-on-Win-10-NSS/td-...

If you go through the questions, I am sure it would have been helpful for most users.

Thanks for your feedback

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 25 of 41

Memi hit the nail on the head.  It's the C:\ProgramData directory that has to be cleared out of any Norton folders after using the Norton Removal Tool.

Thanks Memi

P.S.  How come Norton Support and Comcast Support aren't aware of this solution?  It took less than 5 minutes to fix it.

Memi wrote:

I want to post a correction. After reading JamesG2's post, I reread the thread and realized I didn't actually follow USAF_E-8_RET's advice exactly. So here is what solved the problem for me:

1. Uninstalling with Norton Removal tool

2. View hidden files from File Explorer

3. Delete the Norton and NortonInstaller folders from C:\ProgramData (not from the C:\Program Files (x86) folder)

4. Turn off viweing hidden files from File Explorer

5. Reinstall Norton

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 26 of 41

I have the same problem.  I have tried everything stated, but can only place on one machine.  I even logged in with a different Comcast password.  Only one of my computers does not have the message to activate!  They need to be more on top of this!

Posted by
Norton Expert

Message 27 of 41

That's odd, sorry for the inconvenience. Can you try to contact our support team here: http://www.norton.com/contactcs so that we can check it further?

Harry

Norton Support

Posted by
New Poster

Message 28 of 41

I'm absolutely floored at how many asnwers are here without anyone posting the actual simple fix. The reason you can't activate is because when you click "Activate Now," Norton tries to launch a web browser to have you input your PIN. If edge/IE is not your default browser, then it won't work. Go to "default programs" and change web browser to edge. Then go through the process to activate and enter your PIN.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 29 of 41

Tried everything on this page to correct, no change. Just off Norton Support. I am running Windows 10 Home. Had to change the default browser. Edge is not supported. You can change default browser to IE or Chrome, then all works (for me)

GL,

EJ

Posted by
New Poster

Message 30 of 41

After banging my head against the wall trying to activate Norton Security Suite I have found an idiotically simple solution.  My problem was that i had reached the max number of seats for my subscription.  The max is 7.  When I reinstalled Windows 10 to clear some other issues, Norton would hang on activation.  Sometimes it would pop a window with hyperlinks pointing to somewhere I could cancel an active seat and make room for my current activation.  But the links NEVER WORKED.  This is a clue.   

Then, wouldn't you know it, i found this link: <https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security-suite/current/solutions/v113839121_EndUserProfil...

"Message: "Cannot connect to the Norton server" appears on my Norton product

You see the message: "Unexpected Browser error or Cannot connect to the Norton server" when you activate your Norton product. To resolve this issue, SET A DEFAULT WEB BROWSER on your Windows 10 computer. On other versions of Windows, change your default web browser."

When Norton trys to activate, it's looks for a web browser to open that will send you to their website to enter your PIN and modify your activation count.  Without a browser set to default, Norton just hangs and the links wont open.

Go to Start>Settings>Systems> Default Apps

If Web Browser is blank then boom that's your issue.  Give Windows a default browser and try installing Norton again.  You may need to use the removal tool and restart.  

Norton Security Suite installer is just plain stupid.  I ardently hope the developers weren't as lax across the board as they were when they wrote the install app.  

If this works for you please share it.  I've seen a ton of threads on this exact issue.  I assume this works on all versions of Windows but I have not verified.  I feel like a goddam hero.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 31 of 41

YES!! EXACTLY!! I only discovered this a few minutes ago.  My post is below.  Unbelievable that no one from Norton, Comcast or the community are able to advise on this.  

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 32 of 41

I also had this exact problem.  I my case, I had Firefox as the default browser.  I changed the default to Internet Explorer and I was able to activate.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 33 of 41

PinballWizard!!  

The simple instructions on setting a default browser worked like a charm.    After 85 mins of trying to hash this out I stumbled upon your post.   The odd thing was, I had Nortons installed and running for several weeks on  a new PC with Windows 10.   This morning all ^%$#* broke loose

Follow this and win!

When Norton trys to activate, it's looks for a web browser to open that will send you to their website to enter your PIN and modify your activation count.  Without a browser set to default, Norton just hangs and the links wont open.

Go to Start>Settings>Systems> Default Apps

If Web Browser is blank then boom that's your issue.  Give Windows a default browser and try installing Norton again.  You may need to use the removal tool and restart.  

Norton Security Suite installer is just plain stupid.  I ardently hope the developers weren't as lax across the board as they were when they wrote the install app.  

If this works for you please share it.  I've seen a ton of threads on this exact issue.  I assume this works on all versions of Windows but I have not verified.  I feel like a goddam hero.

Thanks for the help.  

Mareck

Posted by
New Poster

Message 34 of 41

Yup, I did everything above with uninstall and re-install and finally scrolled all the way down.

Setting a default browser (in my case to internet explorer) worked like a charm!!

Someone needs to put this in the Norton install instructions.

Thanks all!!

Posted by
New Poster
Message 35 of 41

Don't chat with Norton support, it's the usual BS

1.  Make IE your default browser (even if temporarily)

2.  Open IE and make sure that pop-ups are NOT blocked

3.  A Norton window show open and allow you to enter your code OR deactivate a computer if you have reached the max.

It worked for me.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 36 of 41

Thank you for your input Bageland2000. Fresh install of win 10 and I tried all the above fixes to no avail. I tried a slight variation of what you suggested. I went through the whole installation process using IE instead of Edge and it worked. My default browser is Edge, but you can just open the IE window and do it that way. Thanks again!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 37 of 41

PinballWizard,

I totally agree. I allowed a Norton tech to take control of my system and that is exactly what he did.  Once the default browser was set to IE, activation completed quickly!  What in the world are the developers at Norton thinking not making their programs work seamlessly with any of the big four - IE, Chrome, FireFox and Safari.  Just plain stupid!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 38 of 41

I have been on the Norton chats for the past 6 days now and have escalated to 3rd level and they have still not gotten back to me.   They all spent hours controlling my PC uninstalling and reinstalling etc to no avail.   It says the activation key is expired or no longer good and it will not let me activate.  Not sure what to do next.  They said it was an issue wiyth comcast with their activation key.  

Posted by
Security Expert

Message 39 of 41

Hi cjlivinlife,

Please see the fiollowing jnk for info regarding your situation.  You need to contact Norton in regards to this situation - which is usually caused by a glitch between Norton's and Comcast's data base.  Be sure to let Norton Chat know you are a Comcast customer and ask them to check your status in their data base against Comcast's data base.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Anti-Virus-Software-Internet/Info-for-customers-receiving-cautions-that...

Also here's the info on your activation PIN (so you can verify it is correct):

Your PIN number is stored in Norton Security_PIN.txt in the following location:

In Windows 10/8/7/Vista: C:\Users\Users Name\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

In Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\Symantec\Norton Security_PIN.txt

Please let us know how things go.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
Message 40 of 41

Just want to help anyone out that had this problem on Win7. In my case it was 2 issues:

1) You need to set your default Browser, I use chrome, why in the heck it's not smart enought to ask or at least tell you the problem ... yikes.

See this article howto: Set Default Browser

After this go back and activate, this time it should bring up a norton activation page in your browser asking for a pin to active.

If you slept a few before last install and can't remember your PIN like me :

2) Go to this link How to find Xfinity PIN for Norton

Hope that helps!

-TD

Posted by
New Poster

Message 41 of 41

Same problem.  I've deleted and reinstalled multiple times and still get the message to activate norton, which of course is virtually an impossibility.  Its no wonder that Comcast ranks in the most hated companies to deal with.  This isn't an uncommon problem for their customers as evidenced by these posts, but they have done NOTHING to fix the problem .