Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

meltdown vulnerabiloity

New Poster

meltdown vulnerabiloity

My current AV software is Norton Security Suite 22.11.2.7 as supplied by Comcast.  A 3rd party site

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/184wcDt9I9TUNFFbsAVLpzAtckQxYiuirADzf3cL42FQ/htmlview?sle=tru...

suggests that Symantec has not changed their AV tools to allow the MS security patch to run.  Does anyone have information on fixing this situation?

Security Expert

Re: meltdown vulnerabiloity

Hi k7cej,

My Windows 7 installed NSS 22.11.2.7 and WIN 10 NSBU 22.11.2.7 both have that registry key. 

My NSBU on WIN 10 has successfully recieved the MS Security update (Windows 10 1709 - KB4056892).

My WIN 7 NSS install has not received the update as of this time.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

thank you for this info flying elephant !! Smiley Happy and to the poster for asking!!    Have you read or heard this windows update to patch the vulnerbility to this will slow down older systems?  I read that somewhere and am not happy if it does I run win  7 runs like a top.  I know this is not a norton thing just curious. thanks again.

Security Expert

I recieved  KB056894 (Security Monthly Quality Rollup) on my WIN 7 system with NSS installed this AM.  It downloaded and installked OK and I have not seen any slow down of the system. 

I have not seen any information from Norton on this topic, however I will keep my ear to the ground.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I'm on windows 10 and the registry key isn't set. I've ran live update multiple times to make sure I'm on the latest version as well.

Valued Contributor

USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

I recieved  KB056894 (Security Monthly Quality Rollup) on my WIN 7 system with NSS installed this AM.  It downloaded and installked OK and I have not seen any slow down of the system. 

I have not seen any information from Norton on this topic, however I will keep my ear to the ground.

Thanks I hope mine doesnt show up too fast want to be sure no speed bumps LOL   edit to inc a link to article that worries me about my intel win 7 several yr old machine that now runs like top...http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-fixes-intel-amd-security-vulnerability-2018-1

Security Expert

Here's a thread on the Norton Forums with info pertaining to meltdown y'all may desire to follow:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/meltdown-nis-not-setting-registry-key

FWIW, my user name on Norton Forums is yank.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Highlighted
Security Expert

Here is some more info from Norton in regards to meltdown/spectre:

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/meltdown-and-spectre-vulnerabilities-%E2%80%93-how-stay-prote...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation