Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity support call lead to a scammed number?

New Poster

Xfinity support call lead to a scammed number?

I send a message over your website to talk to a representative on May 19 about my internet issue after an outage had occur at 12:00 PM for the second time this week. She was not able to figure out what the problem was and directed me to call the 1(800)934-6489 number for customer support on wifi. I called and told them about my wifi problems, and they check to see if it was the modem. After realizing it was not the modem they told me to pull out the plug on my router, when that did not work they told me to reset my router and that there was several steps needed to be taken since the wifi password and info would change. I rested the router and was able to have internet connection after that. I told the representative I was not happy with my new wifi password and I wanted to change it. He told me to type a few numbers in my user bar, and it redirected me to my router screen where I forgot my password and user name. He told me to try admin as my user name and password as my password. When that did not work he told me he was going to transfer my call to ASUS. THE GUY TRANSFERRED MY CALL TO A SCAMMER. I don’t know what happen but he probably googled a number. I don’t know who I was talking to but the transfer send me to a person that asked me go to a site put my name and download gotoassist customer support. I told the new person on the phone I just want a reset on my wifi user name and password. Again I’m thinking xfinity customer support redirected me to ASUS support. I download it and the person starts moving my computer around. Luckily I was paying attention and he did not download anything additional to that. He did open my terminal and able to see everything. He tried to trick me by telling me my account had been compromised by hackers and that all those things opened in the terminal were hacker. They told me that they needed additional people to work on it with additional programs. I had a bad feeling and I asked them if it was going to cost me. He said $150 dollars. At that point I decided to hang up.
My question WHY IS ONE OF YOUR EMPLOYEE DIRECTING ME TO A SCAMMER. THE TRUST I HAD ON UR COMPANY IS DOWN THE DRAIN. I DOWNLOAD A REMOTE ACCESS TRUSTING YOUR PEOPLE HAD CONNECTED ME TO THE RIGHT CUSTOMER SUPPORT NUMBER. LOOK INTO IT. 

Official Employee

Re: How did a xfinity customer support call lead to a scammed number?

Hello s-tressed. I have responded to your duplicate post about this located: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Xfinity-support-call-lead-to-a-scammed-number/m-p/3095...

Please refrain from creating duplicate posts about the same topic, as doing so is a violation of Comcast Forum Guidelines.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation