Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Norton anti virus

New Poster

Norton anti virus

We recently put our internet on vacation hold.  I am now getting a message on my laptop that my anti virus has been cancelled.  When I click on the options it tells me it is on hold as my acount is on hold.  Is this normal procedure?

Security Expert

Re: Norton anti virus

Hi wag97,

I have never heard of this situation before.  I am sure there are others who done the "vacation hold" with Comcast's Norton installed.

I wil query JonMcB_Norton (a Norton employee who assists on this forum) and also will ask our admin from Comcast if they can get an answer for you.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Email Expert

FWIW I just put my Comcast account in Florida on seasonal hold as of 04/02/18, and I got no such message.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Norton Expert

Hi  

New Poster

I have this solved.  I had to uninstall it and reinstall it.  It was my computer being stupid.  

Security Expert

wag97,

Thanks for coming back and letting us know the solution.  Hopefully it may help other users.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I spoke too soon.  I am now getting this again.  

IMG_5174.JPG

New Poster

IMG_5174.JPG

New Poster

I fuond the PIN and manually entered it.  For right now it says my protection is active.

Security Expert

Hi wag97,

I unmarked your solution until such time as you tell us it is permanently corrected.

Something I have noticed in your image - Norton 360 Online is the Norton program offered to Comcast Business customers - not to Comcast Residential Customers. 

• I am now curious how you ended up with the "Online" version if you are a Residential customer.  
  • If you are a Business customer, I'm confused to why you'd put a Business account on Vacation Hold.
  • Where did you get the download from when you reinstalled Norton?  

Please give us answers for the above questions.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I downloaded directly from the Xfinity link in my account.  I do not have a business account.  What I posted is what came up when I clicked on the options.  What confuses me is I have it installed on 3 computers (2 laptops and 1 desktop) and I am only getting this message on 1 laptop and my desktop and they previously had the product from a different internet service.  Now yesterday on the desktop and other laptop I did find the PIN and added it like I purchased a new subscription and so far it is saying I am protected.  I did uninstall the previous version before I installed it from the Xfinity link.

Security Expert

Thanks so much for the info.

Please see the following Knowledge Based Article regarding the removal of previous Norton programs prior to installing the Comcast Norton Securtiy Suite version.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet/ANSWERED-How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suite/ta-p...

The above instructions are necessary (especially running the NRnR Tool) if replacing a previous different version of Norton when switching from a retail version or other ISP's version to the Comcast version.  Not all ISP offered versions are identical, nor are their methods of tracking licensing.

One thing you can check, have a look in Programs and Features and see if there are multiple listings for Norton - perhaps a Norton Security Suite (that would be Comcast's version) and perhaps a Norton 360?  Let us iknow what you find there on the problem systems and then check to see what us on the laptop that does not have the error.

I will wait for your reposnse before getting into what to do if you have other entries or not.

IMHO, and this is just a guess, the previous version of Norton was not "completely" removed and I am not sure you have the correct PIN for Comcast version on those systems.  The PIN should be the same for all three systems if they are on Comcast version.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Email Expert

Update--------------

I seem to have Norton no matter which account I sign into, either Michigan or Florida.  It's telling me I'm protected and so on.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I checked the desktop and it looks like I have all other versions of Norton FINALLY uninstalled.  So far today it says I am still protected so since it has been 3 days since I added the PIN I may have it finally solved.  

It appears that when I installed the Norton Security Suite and it told me it was uninstalling the previous versions, it didn't completely uninstall it.  The previous version was under another ISP version.

Thank you for all your help.

Security Expert

wag97,

If things do not stay working - you know where to find us!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Security Expert

Thanks for the update - latest word I received is that "vacation hold" should not affect an installed NSS.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation