Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can you control your TV from work or away?

Regular Visitor

Can you control your TV from work or away?

My father is quite elderly and is baffled by the remote.  He sometimes sits for hours with the screensaver on because he can't figure out how to get a picture up...he also has great difficulty punching in three numbers, etc.  The large button remote has not worked for him.

Is there a way I can change channels or even turn the TV on from work?  So when I see on our home camera that he is struggling, I could fix it for him?

Service Expert

Re: Can you control your TV from work or away?

marlafc wrote:

My father is quite elderly and is baffled by the remote.  He sometimes sits for hours with the screensaver on because he can't figure out how to get a picture up...he also has great difficulty punching in three numbers, etc.  The large button remote has not worked for him.

Is there a way I can change channels or even turn the TV on from work?  So when I see on our home camera that he is struggling, I could fix it for him?

able to change channels via smart device using Xfinity TV remote app when signed onto his account and the 'tv' icon has selected the set top box he is using. I don't know of other than slingbox wth an IR emitter that would let you use a virtual TV remote. Last sling I had was in early to mid 2000 so I'm sure the technology has changed.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

I tried this, and from work, I can see my TV, but when I select a program and Watch on TV, the tv name flashes on my phone, but my TV at home does not turn on...am I doing something wrong?

Official Employee

It's not meant to turn your TV on. You are controlling your cable box remotely, not the TV.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation