online now

discussions

Can't use remote due to paralysis

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 12

I can't move from my shoulders down and have been using a universal remote that I can control with my computer to control the dvr box which is being discontinued.  We are having to upgrade to the x1 box.  My problem is that my computer controlled remote can only transmit ir (infra red). It does not transmit rf (radio frequency) which is what the new x1 uses.  I can't use a smart phone or tablet. Is there a remote that can be used with the x1 box that can be controlled using a Windows 10 desktop computer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 6 of 12
Solution

Well... after some reasearch it seems that the newer Comcast boxes use a protocol called XMP for their remotes that the various Learning Remotes for PC's don't do a very good job with.  There might not be a great alternative PC Learning Remote that works with X1.

I may have found an alternative though... hopefully this works for you.

You can download software that enulates Android on your PC.  Once you have an Android emulator, you can install and use apps that were meant for an Android phone or tablet on your PC.  Comcast offers an app called the "XFINITY TV X1 Remote" that is meant to be used on phones, but I just tested it on a Android emulator on my PC and it works great to control my boxes.

Here is what I did:

1) Downloaded LeapDroid onto my PC - here's the link to that software: http://leapdroid.com/
2) After it installed, I clicked on the Play Store icon and signed in with my Google account (or you can create a new one for free if you don't already have one).
3) Once in the Google Play store, I searched for "XFINITY TV X1 Remote" (it's a red icon that has a microphone on it) and installed it
4) I launced the app, selected the box I wanted to control and was able to use all major functions of the box using the on screen buttons, arrows, and controls from my computer.

Let me know if you get it to work... it's pretty cool... I think I'm going to end up using this method of controlling my cable box every now and then. Smiley Happy

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
11 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 12

X1 boxes can be controlled by IR or RF.

Not sure about whether your program is compatible though - what program do you use?

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 12

The program I use came with my Spitfire III remote.  I'm willing to try another program and equipment it you have any suggestions.  The company that made my remote appears not to be in business any longer.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 12
Wow - that looks like a pretty flexible program. It includes a learning function. I would think at the very least you could "teach" the Spitfire all of the button functions of the X1 remote. Just make sure the X1 remote isn't RF paired to the box when your Spitfire program is in learning mode. On the remote you can hold setup for a few seconds and then press 9-8-7 to be sure (that de-pairs the remote if it's paired)

Check out page 13 of the Spitfire manual on how to use the learning function: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/359644/Innotech-Spitfire-Iii.html?page=13#manual

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 5 of 12

I have tried teaching it with an unpaired remote without luck.  I've found in the past there are some signals it just won't learn. I'm not sure if it's limitations of the equipment which is 10 years old or what.  I would love to find something similar with better learning potential. 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 6 of 12
Solution

Well... after some reasearch it seems that the newer Comcast boxes use a protocol called XMP for their remotes that the various Learning Remotes for PC's don't do a very good job with.  There might not be a great alternative PC Learning Remote that works with X1.

You can download software that enulates Android on your PC.  Once you have an Android emulator, you can install and use apps that were meant for an Android phone or tablet on your PC.  Comcast offers an app called the "XFINITY TV X1 Remote" that is meant to be used on phones, but I just tested it on a Android emulator on my PC and it works great to control my boxes.

Here is what I did:

1) Downloaded LeapDroid onto my PC - here's the link to that software: http://leapdroid.com/
2) After it installed, I clicked on the Play Store icon and signed in with my Google account (or you can create a new one for free if you don't already have one).
3) Once in the Google Play store, I searched for "XFINITY TV X1 Remote" (it's a red icon that has a microphone on it) and installed it
4) I launced the app, selected the box I wanted to control and was able to use all major functions of the box using the on screen buttons, arrows, and controls from my computer.

Let me know if you get it to work... it's pretty cool... I think I'm going to end up using this method of controlling my cable box every now and then. Smiley Happy

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 12

test1234x wrote:

Here is what I did:

Being able to emulate a smart phone is really cool.  I like that you can use the voice feature too! I haven't gotten that feature to work yet but everything else works like a dream. Thanks for all your help

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 8 of 12

Great!  I'm glad it worked well for you.  Smiley Happy

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 9 of 12

I am also a quadriplegic, paralyzed from the neck down and unable to a remote. 

I was able to install LeapDroid. I tried the XFINITy TV Remote but it didn't work. I don't have a X1 DVR to try it with. Has anyone else gotten it to work?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 10 of 12

A Comcast tech brought a X1 DVR today. I had already followed your instructions, installed LeapDroid and installed the X1 Remote app before the tech came. Once he got the box setup I tried controlling it with the app on my Windows 10 notebook, it worked!

Thanks for the help with this!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 11 of 12

Woo-Hoo!  Glad it was helpful.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 12 of 12

The "Xfinity X1 Remote" app has stopped working. You need to go to the Play Store and install the "Xfinity TV Remote".

After signing in, you will see a microphone icon. Click that icon to see menu tabs for the arrow keypad, FF, PLAY/PAUSE,RW and Number Keypad. To me, that was not intuitive to locate those, so hope to save someone the frustration I was having. 

As you have probably discovered, the LeapDroid Android emulator for Windows PC is no longer available. I found another Windows Android emulator called AMIDuOS at http://www.amiduos.com works. To get it to work with the Xfinity TV Remote app, first run DuOS Configuration Tool. In General select Manual Screen then Small Screen. If you do not set it to Small Screen the controls on the app will be too small to read.

Another option I got to work is using an Android app called Mobizen at <https://www.mobizen.com/>. This enables you to mirror and control an Android device on a Windows PC. 

Hope that helps!